A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:09:26 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Discovery Lab  (Read 18366 times)
Jacobei
Citizen

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2020, 10:44:35 pm »

I didn't get a picture of it, but the construction fencing has gone up for this.
Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2021, 11:45:26 am »

Pretty awesome video with interior renderings and fly-through … it was released back in Feb 2020 but I just now watched:

https://youtu.be/YFLktW0oolo

Excited for this project to open.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2021, 07:39:56 am »

Looks very sterile and "corporate".  Reminds me of some of the spots they tried this sort of thing at Epcot that are pretty much empty and abandoned because they are so boring compared to the more interesting and magical educational elements elsewhere.  Children, of all ages, deserve magic.

If I am ever able to expand the DECOPOLIS Discovitorium I will show em how its done.  Tongue

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2021, 08:09:10 am »

Having this portion of the park completed will be nice but I’m most looking forward to the planned pathway along Crow Creek to Brookside.  With that you can get breakfast/lunch in Brookside and walk over to the museum and park.  It also opens up access to the river trails via the underpass at Riverside

TulsaBeMore
Activist

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2021, 12:43:56 am »

Looks very sterile and "corporate".  Reminds me of some of the spots they tried this sort of thing at Epcot that are pretty much empty and abandoned because they are so boring compared to the more interesting and magical educational elements elsewhere.  Children, of all ages, deserve magic.

If I am ever able to expand the DECOPOLIS Discovitorium I will show em how its done.  Tongue

We hit on this more than a year ago in this thread:  Reserving final judgement until I see it finished, but I think the DISCOVERY children's museum is a lost opportunity from an exterior experience standpoint.  It's not horrific --- looks like it could be a credit union headquarters or similar.  The building itself could have been part of the DISCOVERY.  An inspiring, creative exterior that would get kids/people excited before ever entering the facility just by looking at it from the road or parking lot.  It looks OK, but like a lot of the new work downtown, nothing distinctive --- could be Anytown USA.  And Tulsa is 20-25 years late to the originality of that.   

There is a lot of that here.  It seems Tulsa once set trends in many areas, now we are a "me too" community, for the most part.  I like architects and we have some fine ones here, but rarely do their most creative designs ever find a home here --- and I'm not talking "out there" stuff.  It's a lot of knock off looking work that played well in Dallas or Overland Park or was fresh in Nashville 15-20 years ago.  Perhaps, that's what the owners want. More of the proven same.  The OK Pop exterior is similar in bland inspiration and it overpowers Cain's across the street.   

I just saw the DISCOVERY interior in the posted animation - I'll defer to others on its merits. It reminds me of Central Library a little.

TulsaBeMore
Activist

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2021, 02:32:14 am »

Having this portion of the park completed will be nice but I’m most looking forward to the planned pathway along Crow Creek to Brookside.  With that you can get breakfast/lunch in Brookside and walk over to the museum and park.  It also opens up access to the river trails via the underpass at Riverside

Is this still only an idea?  Is there a construction start date?  It would be the cherry on top of the whole sundae. 

Any new word on the mixed use complex for 31st & Peoria?  Is that dead?  late afternoon September dinner at an outdoor bistro there and a leisurely stroll to Discovery/Gathering Place and back on a busy lighted trail - that's the high life.   
Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2021, 07:13:38 am »

Is this still only an idea?  Is there a construction start date?  It would be the cherry on top of the whole sundae. 

Any new word on the mixed use complex for 31st & Peoria?  Is that dead?  late afternoon September dinner at an outdoor bistro there and a leisurely stroll to Discovery/Gathering Place and back on a busy lighted trail - that's the high life.   

It’s dead. The neighbors would prefer a private estate or gated community to a commercial development with publicly accessible amenities. Because “traffic.”

If you want to do something with the site, the owner is currently listing it for $24MM.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3105-S-Peoria-Ave-Tulsa-OK-74105/22276793_zpid
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2021, 09:31:22 am »

It’s dead. The neighbors would prefer a private estate or gated community to a commercial development with publicly accessible amenities. Because “traffic.”

If you want to do something with the site, the owner is currently listing it for $24MM.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3105-S-Peoria-Ave-Tulsa-OK-74105/22276793_zpid

My guess is that the 31st & Peoria estate gets developed but that it’s entirely residential.  I hope whatever they do they preserve most of the trees.  I know that’s somewhere I would be interested in living because of its location especially if there is a direct trail link from there to the river.

I haven’t seen a construction start date for the Crow Creek trail and I believe they are still acquiring properties and working with the city.  The underpass at Peoria would likely require a full rebuild of the bridge over the creek which is probably a few years out but it would be great to at least have the trail all the way to Peoria.  

A portion of the new trail will be opening later this fall by Discovery Lab.  This is the portion that goes underneath Riverside and connects to the river trail.  So at least for now you can park by Discovery Lab and access the river trails without crossing Riverside.

Here is an older TW article about it: https://tulsaworld.com/archive/trail-plan-cuts-path-to-river/article_07098ce7-6317-5107-859d-ff398c7786c5.html
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 09:37:46 am by SXSW » Logged

Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2021, 12:01:03 pm »

I haven’t seen a construction start date for the Crow Creek trail and I believe they are still acquiring properties and working with the city.  The underpass at Peoria would likely require a full rebuild of the bridge over the creek which is probably a few years out but it would be great to at least have the trail all the way to Peoria.  

A portion of the new trail will be opening later this fall by Discovery Lab.  This is the portion that goes underneath Riverside and connects to the river trail.  So at least for now you can park by Discovery Lab and access the river trails without crossing Riverside.

Here is an older TW article about it: https://tulsaworld.com/archive/trail-plan-cuts-path-to-river/article_07098ce7-6317-5107-859d-ff398c7786c5.html

I’ve heard from GKFF people that they have the path from the river to Crow Creek Meadow, but they’re at an impasse with property owners between that point and Peoria and there’s no current way forward - so they’re just hoping folks see the light (or move). Maybe they’ll build to the Meadow on 33rd Pl as a trail head until they can get homeowners between there and the old Boy Scout parcel to sell an easement.

I’ve noted that GKFF or proxies have been acquiring a lot of strategic parcels in that corridor in addition to the trail path.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2021, 02:36:05 pm »

I’ve heard from GKFF people that they have the path from the river to Crow Creek Meadow, but they’re at an impasse with property owners between that point and Peoria and there’s no current way forward - so they’re just hoping folks see the light (or move). Maybe they’ll build to the Meadow on 33rd Pl as a trail head until they can get homeowners between there and the old Boy Scout parcel to sell an easement.

I’ve noted that GKFF or proxies have been acquiring a lot of strategic parcels in that corridor in addition to the trail path.

Interesting, yes that sounds like what I've heard as well.  Crow Creek Meadow would be a good place to end the trail for now as there would be an easy connection to Brookside on E 33rd Place.  GKFF also owns most of the property on the south side of the creek to Crow Creek Meadow.  See below

Yellow - Phase 1 opening this fall
Red - Phase 2 to Crow Creek Meadow trailhead
Blue - Phase 3 to Brookside trailhead/Peoria (BSA property owned by GKFF)
Yellow - Phase 4 to Zink Park with new bridge/underpass at Peoria

« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 02:38:41 pm by SXSW » Logged

ELG4America
Activist

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2021, 10:25:23 pm »

These are the same people that still complain that the Gathering Place tore down "that beautiful old house" (aka the Jefferson Davis lookalike house) because one rich person's private home is more important than a vibrant community space.
TulsaBeMore
Activist

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2021, 01:28:50 am »

These are the same people that still complain that the Gathering Place tore down "that beautiful old house" (aka the Jefferson Davis lookalike house) because one rich person's private home is more important than a vibrant community space.

Many who complain about "that beautiful old house" being torn down complain because a vibrant community space and the stately landmark mansion were never mutually exclusive.  You can design a park any way you want.  The house could easily have been a highlight event space for weddings, etc.  From jump I believe the Kaiser folks wanted the house gone because of its "confederacy link."  This was before we fully understood woke culture.  This was a consideration for wokeness --- whether you agree or not.  They wanted a new inclusive gathering space for all Tulsans and I think one of the prerequisites was to tear down the Blair mansion.       
Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2021, 02:07:43 pm »

Exactly. I live like 3 blocks from there and I was very excited about the development.

As it stands right now, it's literally contributing NOTHING to the neighborhood. It's just a mass of twisted, overgrown vines and vegetation. You can't even see the home from the street.
Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2021, 02:13:17 pm »

Many who complain about "that beautiful old house" being torn down complain because a vibrant community space and the stately landmark mansion were never mutually exclusive.  You can design a park any way you want.  The house could easily have been a highlight event space for weddings, etc.  From jump I believe the Kaiser folks wanted the house gone because of its "confederacy link."  This was before we fully understood woke culture.  This was a consideration for wokeness --- whether you agree or not.  They wanted a new inclusive gathering space for all Tulsans and I think one of the prerequisites was to tear down the Blair mansion.       

I think many might disagree what constitutes a "stately landmark mansion." Every big house that is built isn't a "stately landmark" just because it's big and was built some number of years ago.

And yeah, if it was indeed designed to look like Jefferson Davis' house, then good riddance. What is in that space now is infinitely better.

TulsaBeMore
Activist

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2021, 10:05:52 pm »

I think many might disagree what constitutes a "stately landmark mansion." Every big house that is built isn't a "stately landmark" just because it's big and was built some number of years ago.

And yeah, if it was indeed designed to look like Jefferson Davis' house, then good riddance. What is in that space now is infinitely better.

I and hundreds of thousands of others drove by it and the expansive yard every work day.  Me for 30 years.  It was the encyclopedia definition of "stately."  As much a Tulsa landmark as the Welcome to Las Vegas sign in Vegas, the field of wind turbines near Palm Springs or the Centennial Liquor sign on 75 in Dallas.  Kaiser could do as he wished with it - he owned it.  I was always good with that.   But that's why so many were upset back then about its destruction.  So, you know my opinion and thanks for yours. And, as they say,  just like...  everyone has one.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 10:31:29 pm by TulsaBeMore » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org