A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:59:35 am
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gilcrease Museum Demolition  (Read 41407 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2021, 07:56:08 am »

Well I'd just like to see whatever design they go with integrate with the landscape regardless if children are insulted by it.

I believe all it takes is some thought and imagination to make it both a place that is "integrated into the landscape" and one that is beautiful, inspiring, creates a sense of awe and wonder... that shows someone thought of and cared about the viewer, the people who will be walking up and into the space, the incredible art and history that will be housed there.  People, young and old, really do get it, and I think its important to show that we care about people of all ages and stripes.  It's not always an easy world out there. Put in a little magic and caring and it will go a long way. People do notice, even if subliminally, if you (the city, the architects, etc.) didn't care, and they REALLY do appreciate it when you show that you do care, when you do put in those extra bits of thought and detail.

Visit DECOPOLIS someday and tell me whether this is a store that is being created by someone who cares about the visitor, the children of all ages, including you ;-) 

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2021, 11:35:11 am »

Well I'd just like to see whatever design they go with integrate with the landscape regardless if children are insulted by it.

I don't think that previous design was that bad either. Is it 'iconic' - no. We aren't getting a Guggenheim type design, sorry Artist. That previous design isn't insulting either. I liked that in the slope of the roof line integrated with the landscape and shows some green roof coming up along the roof line. That's why I thought of the California science museum I posted that has a living roof and you can walk around on the roof too. With some small tweaks to that original concept, an understated design that incorporated a living roof and some other things could be a very powerful design.

Frankly, I'd far rather see the outside design be less extravagant and have it blend into the landscape like that concept. I think that speaks way more to the type of art and collections Gilcrease has than something that is meant to be 'iconic' that sticks out like a sore thumb and doesn't pay respect to western art - which a large portion is centered around nature and landscapes.

I'm far more concerned at this point that we're going to get something focused solely on the building and cramming as much into a smaller space as possible and nothing will be done with the grounds. If we're getting a smaller building, one that incorporates the outdoors properly too will make the museum feel much larger than it is.

shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2021, 11:41:10 am »

I'm with Artist. The original design was so completely uninspiring. Worse still when you realize that green roof portion would have required a big ugly fence and signage in real life to keep people off of it. It just seemed lackluster all around, like it was designed by an arch. student and not a professional. I'm not necessarily expecting something world class, but as with the discovery center discussion, it doesn't take THAT much effort to simply not be completely boring and unoriginal.

The massing diagram in that TW article is interesting... To be fair, they really just need a lot of long galleries, so a tall slender building that runs along the "cliff" would be a much better use of space. Leaves more room for the future too. Neighbors complaining about sightlines should get a reality check. That neighborhood isn't much, and the Gilcrease grounds are beautiful.
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2021, 11:47:15 am »

I'm with Artist. The original design was so completely uninspiring. Worse still when you realize that green roof portion would have required a big ugly fence and signage in real life to keep people off of it. It just seemed lackluster all around, like it was designed by an arch. student and not a professional. I'm not necessarily expecting something world class, but as with the discovery center discussion, it doesn't take THAT much effort to simply not be completely boring and unoriginal.

The massing diagram in that TW article is interesting... To be fair, they really just need a lot of long galleries, so a tall slender building that runs along the "cliff" would be a much better use of space. Leaves more room for the future too. Neighbors complaining about sightlines should get a reality check. That neighborhood isn't much, and the Gilcrease grounds are beautiful.

Check out this link or just google 'California Academy of Sciences Roof':

https://www.google.com/search?q=california+academy+of+sciences+roof&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjXqMfT2YDwAhX9gU4HHWPICqgQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=california+academy+of+sciences+roof&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQARgAMgIIADIGCAAQCBAeMgYIABAIEB4yBggAEAgQHjIGCAAQCBAeOggIABCxAxCDAToFCAAQsQM6BAgAEEM6BwgAELEDEEM6BggAEAUQHjoECAAQGFCQggVYkrAFYLOzBWgAcAB4AIABQYgB0AeSAQIxOJgBAKABAaoBC2d3cy13aXotaW1nwAEB&sclient=img&ei=3m14YNfBBP2DuuoP45CrwAo&bih=920&biw=1524&rlz=1C1GCEB_enUS892US897

Most greenroofs can be built in a way that is user friendly and nothing like what you're saying would be required. In that particular building in San Francisco you can go up on the roof and walk around. Each one of the 'bubbles' has walking trails around them and the roof is an exhibit of the museum.
Tulsa Zephyr
Activist

« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2021, 12:23:30 pm »

I'm with Artist.  We visited Decopolis yesterday and I'd have to say it was the highlight of our day.  The customers represented all ages and everyone in the store seemed awed by the environment.  Decopolis is obviously the result of good planning and attention to detail.  I'm hopeful the new Gilcrease will be something we can all be proud to have and show off to visitors.

"My ambition is handicapped by laziness."  Charles Bukowski
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2021, 02:40:46 pm »

Check out this link or just google 'California Academy of Sciences Roof':

https://www.google.com/search?q=california+academy+of+sciences+roof&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjXqMfT2YDwAhX9gU4HHWPICqgQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=california+academy+of+sciences+roof&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQARgAMgIIADIGCAAQCBAeMgYIABAIEB4yBggAEAgQHjIGCAAQCBAeOggIABCxAxCDAToFCAAQsQM6BAgAEEM6BwgAELEDEEM6BggAEAUQHjoECAAQGFCQggVYkrAFYLOzBWgAcAB4AIABQYgB0AeSAQIxOJgBAKABAaoBC2d3cy13aXotaW1nwAEB&sclient=img&ei=3m14YNfBBP2DuuoP45CrwAo&bih=920&biw=1524&rlz=1C1GCEB_enUS892US897

Most greenroofs can be built in a way that is user friendly and nothing like what you're saying would be required. In that particular building in San Francisco you can go up on the roof and walk around. Each one of the 'bubbles' has walking trails around them and the roof is an exhibit of the museum.

Look at the gilcrease rendering again. It's noting like the California Academy of Sciences building, which doesn't reach down to the ground. I am saying that in reality they would have to put barriers up to stop kids/people from wandering up there. It's obviously not designed for people to go up there, it's just an architectural flourish to have it extend to the ground. Poor conception.

Now if they wanted to do a green roof that was designed for people to actually go on top of the building and blend it into the landscape, that would be cool.
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2021, 03:17:01 pm »

Now if they wanted to do a green roof that was designed for people to actually go on top of the building and blend it into the landscape, that would be cool.

For sure, which was what I was meaning... I think with some tweaking that original design could be pretty cool given the sloping of the roof line and how it looks like it's coming out of the ground. Incorporating a functional green/living roof where it acts as an extension of the museum would make the building pretty unique.

So I certainly don't hate that original concept, just needs a little more design development.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2021, 12:39:24 pm »

New renderings

shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2021, 03:50:34 pm »

I don't know how I feel about it. There are some good elements and bad elements and a lot of meh elements. Not sure how good it will look in reality. The lower terrace looks odd, like it's not really connected to anything? It also looks like a lot of different levels and stairs, which I thought they were trying to get away from.

I dunno. I trust them I guess. Hopefully this works well.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2021, 07:21:50 pm »

I like it. 

Not the direction I would take at all, and would of course prefer the direction I would take lol, but from what I can tell it has a good feel to it and the potential to showcase some art well.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2021, 07:29:37 pm »

I like it too, I just wish it was twice the size. I assume this has the ability to be expanded?
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2021, 11:28:06 pm »

I like it too, I just wish it was twice the size. I assume this has the ability to be expanded?

It looks like they could expand to the north

tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2021, 08:14:08 am »

That's what she said!

anyhoo...

As for the new renderings - I wish it was more fluid and a lot less cold. What I liked about the previous design was it felt like the museum was part of the landscape which was fitting for it's focus on Indigenous artwork. The new design is a bit like the Borg designed it. It would have been nicer to have been more a part of nature and less, well, Borg - the Biesbosch Museum in the Netherlands would have been a nice direction to explore.

Though admittedly it still beats the old 80's mall that Gilcrease was by a mile so I'll allow it.
tulsamatt
Activist

« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2021, 08:42:09 am »

Does anyone have a link to the master plan or more info on how they plan to connect to the trails?

"The museum’s master plan includes outdoor spaces where people can engage with one another and with nature. In addition to a new building that is responsive to nature, plans for the Gilcrease campus include more than 13 miles of new walking/bike trails that will ultimately connect with trail networks throughout the city, increasing access to Gilcrease, nature, and community."
https://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/gilcrease-museum-unveils-concept-design-for-new-building

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2021, 01:03:09 pm »

Does anyone have a link to the master plan or more info on how they plan to connect to the trails?

I was wondering that too.  Possibly a connection to the Katy trail to the south? 

Will the outdoor trails be accessible to those not going to the museum?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org