A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:32:19 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jim's Never On Sunday Closing?!?!?!?!?  (Read 4126 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« on: December 23, 2019, 12:05:58 am »

Saw a post from a friend on FB that Jim's Never On Sunday is closing 12/31.  I can't find another source anywhere to back this up, not even the Jim's FB page.  As big an institution or cultural curiosity as this place as become I'd think this would hit at least one news outlet from Tulsa or some other feeds on Facebook or Twitter.

I started eating there close to 40 years ago in high school.  We've always made it a point to get our gyro fix at least once when we return to Tulsa.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 01:35:03 pm »

Saw a post from a friend on FB that Jim's Never On Sunday is closing 12/31.  I can't find another source anywhere to back this up, not even the Jim's FB page.  As big an institution or cultural curiosity as this place as become I'd think this would hit at least one news outlet from Tulsa or some other feeds on Facebook or Twitter.

I started eating there close to 40 years ago in high school.  We've always made it a point to get our gyro fix at least once when we return to Tulsa.

The lamb and rice dinner has been almost a staple of mine... Ill have to pay a visit tonight.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 01:42:25 pm »

The lamb and rice dinner has been almost a staple of mine... Ill have to pay a visit tonight.

Glad I got my fix when we were there in November, looks like I'll be two weeks too late on our January visit.  Seems a bit odd to close now unless it's a lease issue.  I know the Shootout and Chili Bowl pack the place.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 02:25:09 pm »

Jim’s Never on Sunday is in the category of places that I will miss when it closes even though I haven’ been there in years.  It must be something about that feeling I get when I drive by and see that rusty/faded sign and think to myself that I need to go there soon, but I never do.  It’s the same feeling I got when I drove by JJ’s on Peoria.  And yes, I know I am part of the problem for not going to these places enough. 
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 03:03:14 pm »

https://www.tulsaworld.com/entertainment/dining/table-talk-jim-s-coney-island-to-close-dec-naples/article_664bfeeb-ed90-58ff-bcf4-bc15e5f65ade.html#1

Sounds like they had some "business issues" with the lease.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 09:25:04 pm »

They told the 50-or-so people still in line tonight that they ran out of food, and promised to be re-stocked by 11 tomorrow (for their last day). 
I have been reading that its been like that for the last week, once word got out that they were closing.  It looks like they will be sorely missed.

Midtown is so gentrified now I wonder if they could afford the rent to re-open nearby like Bill and Ruths did. I imagine Kathy's Corner (Mother Road) is beyond reach.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 09:40:44 pm »

They told the 50-or-so people still in line tonight that they ran out of food, and promised to be re-stocked by 11 tomorrow (for their last day). 
I have been reading that its been like that for the last week, once word got out that they were closing.  It looks like they will be sorely missed.

Midtown is so gentrified now I wonder if they could afford the rent to re-open nearby like Bill and Ruths did. I imagine Kathy's Corner (Mother Road) is beyond reach.

West Tulsa would love them.
Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 09:43:30 pm »

Plenty of cheap retail spaces on 11th St. within a half mile of Harvard in either direction.  Their sign would fit right in.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 12:51:51 pm »

The article said “business issues.”  Given the large number of commercial vacancies along that stretch of Harvard, I’d be surprised if they were facing rapidly rising rents.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org