A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:02:53 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: City eyes 11th and Lewis as new site for Route 66 museum  (Read 9859 times)
brettakins
Activist

« on: December 05, 2019, 01:42:18 pm »

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/city-eyes-th-and-lewis-as-new-site-for-route/article_d3235877-c024-586d-ad49-398887e766e8.html

The city’s plan to build a Route 66 interpretive center and commercial complex across from Cyrus Avery Plaza could be changing — and in a big way.

Nick Doctor, chief of community development and policy for the city, said Thursday that the city is considering entering into a public-private partnership to construct a Route 66 museum on five acres near the Mother Road Market at 11th Street and Lewis Avenue as part of a larger mixed-use development.

“We are exploring a potential partnership at 11th (Street) and Lewis (Avenue) since it was identified as an ideal location for the Route 66 interpretive center in the Tulsa Planning Office’s analysis,” Doctor said. “This potential partnership is still in an early, due-diligence phase, and the city has not made any commitments regarding the location of the Route 66 interpretive center.”

A document sent to prospective architecture firms by ITulsa LLC states the company is building a $40 million mixed-use development on the northwest corner of 11th Street and Lewis Avenue that will include retail, 250 multi-family units and a 12,000-square-foot Route 66 museum.
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 04:17:10 pm »

Very cool. That area is already hopping, but this would make it a true destination as much as anything in else in Tulsa. It's a big lot, but with that many units + a museum, I'm guessing a large parking garage and a fairly tall residential building would be part of it.

12,000 square feet is not a large museum though. The one in Sapulpa is bigger than that I'm pretty sure. Could be a nice compliment to the area, but with this kind of thing you either go big or go home. We don't need another random dinky museum, even if it is in a fairly active area.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 10:00:15 pm »

Very cool. That area is already hopping, but this would make it a true destination as much as anything in else in Tulsa. It's a big lot, but with that many units + a museum, I'm guessing a large parking garage and a fairly tall residential building would be part of it.

12,000 square feet is not a large museum though. The one in Sapulpa is bigger than that I'm pretty sure. Could be a nice compliment to the area, but with this kind of thing you either go big or go home. We don't need another random dinky museum, even if it is in a fairly active area.

Depends on what you do with the space.  I could blow your mind with 12,000 sq feet worth of space.  And don't forget, dinky museums can grow in time, plus it would be just one part of what you can do in the area.  I frankly love going to see little "pocket" museums in other cities around the world, they can be so fun, interesting and imaginative.  Think of them like getting a delicious ice cream treat as you stroll along, versus a long, draw out multi-course sit down meal.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 01:23:53 pm »

Alternative headline could be “City to Boost Value of Land Owned by Former Mayor’s Family.”

Dropping from the 42,000 sq. ft. center at Avery Plaza to 12,000 sq. ft. is a significant reduction.  Nonetheless, I agree if done correctly it could still be a very good attraction.  More importantly, it doesn’t look like there was a realistic path to raising the funds necessary for the large center.  A smaller museum is better than an unrealized plan for a much larger museum.

I also think this location makes a lot more sense and ties into current development better than the Avery Plaza location.  Unless/until money is found to rehab the old bridge and open it up to pedestrians, it simply stands as a fenced off monument to Oklahoma’s failure to maintain its infrastructure.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 01:56:54 pm »

Alternative headline could be “City to Boost Value of Land Owned by Former Mayor’s Family.”

Parking for it and Mother Road Market on the roof maybe? 

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 05:44:05 pm »

How about another 'Golden Drumstick' ??   That would be a great thing to have back on Route 66!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 03:35:02 pm »

If it goes to 11th & Lewis what do you do with the site by the Avery Bridge?  Honestly not sure what would work best there but it's a great location.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 08:01:33 pm »

I like the idea of it going there on 11th.  Course wish it were closer to my next projects on 11th near Peoria.  But think that with the transit going in that it should be easier for Tourists, and locals even, to zip up and down to the attractions on 11th and Downtown.  Just want to make sure my next projects next to Buck Atoms and near the Mayo Gold are a sure thing stop for the tourists and busses.

Need another restaurant by that corner if anyone knows of anyone looking for a space.  That nexus around Buck Atoms to the Peoria corner will be a great location here in another year.  Wink

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 10:30:15 am »

^Sounds great Artist. Was sad to see how few people were out and about in your area last Friday, while Ida Red's was packed.

I don't know how I feel about that corner though. On one hand, there are several buildings there that have been rehabilitated into some cool shops already. On the other hand, it feels like 6th and Peoria and the motherroad area have better starts at becoming a more cohesive attraction area. If you could take all the stuff in the Peal district and squish it closer together, it would be an amazing district. Would be great to have a little trolley or something for that area so that you don't have to worry about driving and parking between each thing.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 11:20:29 am »

^Sounds great Artist. Was sad to see how few people were out and about in your area last Friday, while Ida Red's was packed.

I don't know how I feel about that corner though. On one hand, there are several buildings there that have been rehabilitated into some cool shops already. On the other hand, it feels like 6th and Peoria and the motherroad area have better starts at becoming a more cohesive attraction area. If you could take all the stuff in the Peal district and squish it closer together, it would be an amazing district. Would be great to have a little trolley or something for that area so that you don't have to worry about driving and parking between each thing.

I don’t know, it seems like attractions along a celebrated highway called the “Mother Road” are inevitably going to be car centric.  Embrace it.  Celebrate it.  Exploit it.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 07:43:11 pm »

I don’t know, it seems like attractions along a celebrated highway called the “Mother Road” are inevitably going to be car centric.  Embrace it.  Celebrate it.  Exploit it.

The fascinating thing about the "Mother Road" & Route 66 is how it went through so many traditional Main Street type areas, places that were both pedestrian friendly, and that you got to by car.

The areas on 11th that will be the most attractive will be the pedestrian friendly ones. But, you will need parking lol.  It's a unique case for sure.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2019, 07:47:26 pm »

Yes, we know that our area is right on the edge of either making it as a more lively one in the evenings, or swiftly changing into only daytime activity.  This next year or two will likely tell the tale.   

I feel like we have a better chance at making the 11th & Peoria spot into one that's more evening/shopping friendly.  There are already a few shops and attractions there, a few restaurants, and spots for more.  If we can get just a few more shops and restaurants.... it can be another Cherry Street/Brookside area.  Gotta have that right mix/density.

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2019, 12:28:23 pm »

I like the idea of it going there on 11th.  Course wish it were closer to my next projects on 11th near Peoria.  But think that with the transit going in that it should be easier for Tourists, and locals even, to zip up and down to the attractions on 11th and Downtown.  Just want to make sure my next projects next to Buck Atoms and near the Mayo Gold are a sure thing stop for the tourists and busses.

Need another restaurant by that corner if anyone knows of anyone looking for a space.  That nexus around Buck Atoms to the Peoria corner will be a great location here in another year.  Wink

I'm excited to see that!

We love the Buck Atoms shop and the hand made home goods place next to it.

That whole strip from downtown to TU needs to keep on trucking. It'll be tough for a while, but eventually that area will be the area to live. It's already tough to even  buy a fixer upper in that area, much less find one for cheap! Folks know what they have and know what the plans are so they're holding out and land lords are keeping places too. I'm thankful for those who are pushing ahead in aspiration for what it will be, despite fear of what the area was or is at the moment.

I'm hoping the area remains truly mixed-use. It needs to be sort of a utopia for all income ranges from students to single parents and also dual income families trying to build a life. That's the stuff that makes great urban areas. Not some fake economically-exclusive area where prices are set "From the 200's"... The Central Park Townhomes are great for what they are, but that kind of development won't help the Pearl become a truly "Tulsan" neighborhood and isn't the only type of housing the area needs.

The mixed income apartments at 6th and Lewis are something that will help build a thriving urban society rather than purely high income neighborhood. The area needs to be approachable for many income levels or it'll become another "us vs them" neighborhood and will appear like wealthy are just pushing their way up to reclaim everything south of I244. All the citizens of the area need to feel that they're part of this and that those rejuvenating places are building a better village for all rather than just a new quaint gentrified spot with a catchy name by downtown to make landlords richer.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2019, 12:02:13 pm »

All the citizens of the area need to feel that they're part of this and that those rejuvenating places are building a better village for all rather than just a new quaint gentrified spot with a catchy name by downtown to make landlords richer.

And here I thought Kathy's Korner had a nice ring to it.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2020, 07:34:39 pm »

A small variance request for the recent MX-2 zoning on this corner will be taken up next week by the Board of Adjustment: http://www.tulsaplanning.org/cityboa/cases/BOA-22945.pdf.  There are some interesting renderings on this PDF.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org