A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:17:56 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: White Castle  (Read 4123 times)
Markk
Civic Leader

« on: July 31, 2019, 08:25:58 pm »

Would someone please open one in Tulsa around Brookside?   Thanks. 
rebound
City Father

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 07:56:50 am »

White Castle has come up before on different threads, and I just don't get the attraction.   I've tried them few times, each time thinking there must be something I'm missing, and still don't get it. 

shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 08:09:16 am »

White Castle does not actually franchise, it has subsidiaries that are privately owned. White Castle expands very carefully and deliberately, using earmarked earnings to fund construction and not stretching too far geographically away from the company’s resources.
https://www.franchisehelp.com/franchises/white-castle/

Doesn't sound like there's any hope for one soon. They aren't even down to Kansas yet. You'd expect to see them open a Dallas location eventually.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 08:11:06 am »

Buy and support local please.

I think its one of the most aggravating things I hear when someone seems to prioritize or want a "chain" of some sort to come to Tulsa or some area of Tulsa.  Often it's as if it's some sort of status symbol or cool factor to have this or that chain which is very odd.  Seems "teenagerish".  Surely there is a local place that has a good burger that could be encouraged to grow and expand to another area.

Support the local businesses so they can be what other cities and states are happy to get moving to them! Not all businesses want to expand, but some do and they are working hard to make their dreams come true.  Plus supporting local businesses is supporting yourself and your family and friends.  More money goes to the local economy. Even if the local business costs a bit more at first because of their size. You will still benefit more by supporting them. You are in reality still getting a better bargain. And as that local business grows, they can bring down costs and be even better.  

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 09:44:51 am »

White Castle has come up before on different threads, and I just don't get the attraction.   I've tried them few times, each time thinking there must be something I'm missing, and still don't get it. 

I agree, I just don’t get the fascination with White Castle.  I attended college with a lot of kids from St. Louis who practically worshiped WC.  I thought it was weird, but then I ate there and was even more baffled.  WC burgers are just much smaller and much worse versions of the classic Oklahoma onion burger.

Tulsa has so many great local burger joints covering a wide variety of styles and price points.  The only advantage WC would have over these joints is it is open late enough to offer up its belly bombs late at night after many hours at the bars.  But really, Whataburger is a way better late night option if that is your need.

I also agree with Artist, eat/shop/buy local whenever you can. 
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 12:07:42 pm »

When I was a kid back east my dad liked them. I hated them, called the burgers death balls.

WC actually started in Wichita.
Markk
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 02:06:49 pm »

WC is polarizing; you either love 'em or hate 'em.   I spend plenty on local hamburger joints but I'll always stop at a WC when in St. Louis.  Some have good onion burgers but the allure of WC is the compact size and moist bun, and the fact you carry out about 40 of them without attracting alot of attention.

I'll accept the "teenagerish" comments as a compliment!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 07:15:53 pm »

I had them in Kansas City one time about 20 years ago and I really didn't find them all that craveable.  Memorable because of the moist bun but nothing about the flavor has made me want to seek them out again. Seemed like the real attraction was cheap eats.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 10:05:55 am »

Tulsa would definitely attract more business if we had more chains...   not
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org