A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:03:47 am
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: George Kaiser and philanthropy...  (Read 44926 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2019, 08:12:30 am »

I'm not a 501K, so the philanthropy of Tulsa has thus far failed to hear my idea.  The idea of mapping Greenwood prior to 1921 has many facets; but we start simple.

after locating the 1920 census of course there's tremendous reference material and one of the most frustrating aspects in looking back at Greenwood is the dysphoria of information.

I propose a Wiki Style digital Library of all things relevant to that one place overtime.  Place book indexing.  Cities have GIS and I suggest Greenwood should.

I was disappointed that things did not happen in 2018 to commemorate the 1918 bird's-eye view of Tulsa.   AHHA has a fantastic print Laboratory. we should have discussed what the city fathers were trying to convey to the world in commissioning that image.  Bartlesville bird's eye view came earlier & it is not as refined... looks Ozarkie.  The 1919 bird's eye view of Atlanta is 100 this year but Atlanta doesn't have what we have. 

During our growth the Sanborn Maps maintained a wealth of information. Atlanta only has one edition because of its early creation.

I've located three versions of Tulsa Sanborn Maps which run from  1896 though our Magic years.  One is from the national Library of Congress and it is readily available online however it's not geographically referenced so to move from one sheet to another rather than just panning a map you have to go to a library index and search out other locations and that's just stupid.

On the third floor of our Central Library is a big tabletop computer dedicated to maps.   In the Oklahoma room are paper copies of the Library of Congress Sanborn maps of Tulsa.  8x11... The Originals arer 54 inches by 3 foot or so.  Equally stupid.  And worst of all we had at our library a unique set worthy of study that have been buried in the city historical society's basement, accessible through payment of money ...unacceptable. 

A third set is in the hands of University of Oklahoma.

Each has unique information which I propose to consolidate and with Wiki effort should we build it in the cloud the crowd will come.

Anyway, a crowd is coming soon.

Sounds like a great idea!

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2019, 10:27:48 am »

Sounds like a great idea!

Are we wanting modern GPS-tagged drone shots for comparison?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org