A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:25:03 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smoke Woodfire Grill  (Read 13379 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« on: May 01, 2019, 07:47:51 am »

Location(s) Being Reviewed:     Owasso, OK
Date/Time of Visit:      30 May 2019
Quality of Food (1-5):    2
Menu/Food Options (1-5):    2-3
Quality of Service (1-5):    3
Atmosphere (1-5):       4
Overall Rating (1-5):       2
Price ($-$$$$$):      $$$$
What makes this restaurant unique:   Very little.  Standard “trying to be upscale” like Abacus (Dallas) but not hitting the mark.  Neat old building, but Sphagetti Warehouse had that, too…

Tell us about your experience:   Have driven by the place several times and always wanted to go there because the building looks so cool.  Last night during massive rains, thunderstorms,  and flooding seemed like just the right time.  They use paper straws, which could be very good, except the straws they have are very weak – almost dissolve before drink is finished.  This is a vendor problem, not theirs.

Their problems are much more serious.  Menu has an interesting variety and it was difficult for me to decide between two favorites – catfish or duck.  Went with the crab stuffed catfish.  I generally expect anything stuffed with crab to be good – it’s a lot like putting bacon on anything – it should work well!  This was fried which surprised me a little – I guess I was expecting grilled or roasted from the atmosphere of the place – don’t ask me why…not sure.  This didn’t work as well as it should.  It just tasted kind of “unfocused” as if a committee got together and decided to put some cliché’s together and see what happens.  Leave it as straight catfish and it would be very good!  Crab stuffing separate would probably be good, too.  About as good as Billy Ray’s catfish.  (But Billy Ray’s has pickled green tomatoes, too, so they get the extra point!)

Steak – my wife got the Coulotte Steak.  That means top sirloin (8 oz.).  This was not “top” by any stretch.  It was tough with some kind of ‘off” flavors added, way beyond simple salt/pepper/flavor of the meat one would expect of a good steak.  For that $25, also got a small portion of roasted fingerling potatoes.  The menu said ‘cherry tomato’ came with and we asked… one tomato?   Server said no, there are more…   There were 3.  We both got an ironic chuckle out of that.  I suspect the 'big steak' would have also disappointed and at $49 we would have been seriously irritated.  That is Abacus pricing, and this place is nowhere near!

Service – ok, little slow.  May be a relaxed ambience thing they are going for??  Slow night due to storms and food was delivered in a reasonable time.  Our server was nice but seemed to be going through the motions a little bit.  She did say they were happy we came in on such a bad night.  As she was clearing the table to bring dessert.  Dessert was an apple crumb something with ice cream.  Ok.  Apples in some kind of 'gell' that didn't quite work - almost a pudding thing...?

I did want to try the duck, so we may go back one more time, but might not…let these memories fade a little, first.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Rattle Trap
Activist

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 09:19:40 am »

I pretty much completely agree with this review. My wife and I were excited to get a restaurant like Smoke to open up in Owasso. We were completely underwhelmed with the dinner food. It was just okay.

I will note that their brunch is pretty dang good though.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 09:38:15 am »

So I am a fan of Smoke, but have yet to visit this new location. Should I just hoof it into Tulsa if I want Smoke, or do you not care for either. Seriously asking.

My wife and daughter have been to MAD Eats next door, which I believe is run by the same family. They thought it was certainly worth a return trip. More of a relaxed, diner atmosphere though. More fun.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 06:45:50 pm »

So I am a fan of Smoke, but have yet to visit this new location. Should I just hoof it into Tulsa if I want Smoke, or do you not care for either. Seriously asking.

My wife and daughter have been to MAD Eats next door, which I believe is run by the same family. They thought it was certainly worth a return trip. More of a relaxed, diner atmosphere though. More fun.

Mad Eats is on our list to go to next!  Looks good through the window in driving, hurricane force wind and rain!

Have not been to 15th street.  I guess go to Tulsa...   I really wanted them to be a good 'upscale' place in Owasso - I like the town and is convenient for a good portion of our traffic pattern.  Plus, if they are locally sourced, I might be able to grow something they would want!   Snails...I am looking for a couple of good restaurants to sell locally grown snails so I can get some help "subsidizing" my bad habit of loving to eat them!  Grow twice as many as I can eat, then the rest of Tulsa can be supplied, too!

Maybe I should review Abacus some time - good excuse to go back for a 'refresher'.   It is a place where NOTHING disappointed in even the tiniest way!  But the price is much bigger than I am willing to do on any kind of regular basis!! Even if I were a billionaire.  Guy that took us was a high roller, though, so it was ok - he paid!   I think my bill ended up being about $120 for lobster, crab cakes, some really, really good asparagus, and dessert.  And some really good bread.   I also got to help with 3 others at our end of the table, going through 3 bottles of very nice $175 Cabernet!  Oh, wow...just added that up on the wine - I got most of a bottle!

Next day, on my dime, we ate In-N-Out burgers.  (Dallas).

« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 06:55:33 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 09:21:35 am »

Can't go wrong with the location on Cherry St., we have never had a bad experience there and try to eat there when we return to Tulsa for visits.  I have wondered if a concept like Smoke, which is so dependent on such a creative chef (Erik Reynolds), could translate that success into multiple locations.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 11:01:43 am »

Can't go wrong with the location on Cherry St., we have never had a bad experience there and try to eat there when we return to Tulsa for visits.  I have wondered if a concept like Smoke, which is so dependent on such a creative chef (Erik Reynolds), could translate that success into multiple locations.

May have to try Cherry St.   Since the other one was so plain and insipid, it's gonna be a tough sell.   Even if it was exceptional, the prices are still "off the chart" for what that would be...

Next time you are in the area, go out to Chouteau and try the Dutch Pantry buffet.  Nothing exotic - very much 'down-home', Amish cooking.  Just like 'what Grandma used to make'.  But we have never been disappointed and it's about $12 per person.  $10.50 if you are old!  Less than most of Smoke's appetizers.  There are some very good 'high points' but the deserts are mind boggling.  Banana pudding!   Lemon pie, coconut pie, PECAN pie!, blackberry cobbler, peach, apple. 

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 10:50:30 pm »

May have to try Cherry St.   Since the other one was so plain and insipid, it's gonna be a tough sell.   Even if it was exceptional, the prices are still "off the chart" for what that would be...

Next time you are in the area, go out to Chouteau and try the Dutch Pantry buffet.  Nothing exotic - very much 'down-home', Amish cooking.  Just like 'what Grandma used to make'.  But we have never been disappointed and it's about $12 per person.  $10.50 if you are old!  Less than most of Smoke's appetizers.  There are some very good 'high points' but the deserts are mind boggling.  Banana pudding!   Lemon pie, coconut pie, PECAN pie!, blackberry cobbler, peach, apple. 

I will take your recommendation on the Dutch Pantry under advisement.  We are usually so slammed for time when we are in Tulsa we are lucky to spend adequate time with our family.

For upscale'ish dining, the price points at Smoke are reasonable.  If you are comparing to family dining type places, there's just no way to compare price or value.  Now owning two businesses with a food component, a lot of pricing and differences in quality now makes a whole lot more sense than it used to especially when it comes to meat.  It took a couple of months of evaluation to get exactly the pork, brisket, and ribs I was happy with for the brewpub.  We do occasional specials like prime rib, baby backs, duck, etc. but people who sign up for that know what they are getting and it's going to be a bit spendy.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 10:45:19 am »

I will take your recommendation on the Dutch Pantry under advisement.  We are usually so slammed for time when we are in Tulsa we are lucky to spend adequate time with our family.

For upscale'ish dining, the price points at Smoke are reasonable.  If you are comparing to family dining type places, there's just no way to compare price or value.  Now owning two businesses with a food component, a lot of pricing and differences in quality now makes a whole lot more sense than it used to especially when it comes to meat.  It took a couple of months of evaluation to get exactly the pork, brisket, and ribs I was happy with for the brewpub.  We do occasional specials like prime rib, baby backs, duck, etc. but people who sign up for that know what they are getting and it's going to be a bit spendy.

I generally tend to go toward the family food places, just because that is "Grandma's house" stuff - true comfort food.   For upscale'ish dining, yeah, the price points at Smoke are right there with everyone else.  The food just didn't quite get up to the price point at Owasso.

One of the things I want to go back for is the duck...don't often find it on the menu and I would like to see how they do with it.  Will do that at Cherry St.

Like a little upscale, too.  Pretty much all of my personal upscale comparisons are made against Abacus in Dallas.  True Upscale.  And Mason Street Grill, MKE.  They have a lobster mac & cheese that is astounding!!

Don't know how you feel about Bodean's but we have been a couple of times, they seem to have a reputation in town, and they have the prices.  Not as impressed with them as they are....it's good.  Not great.  (I like Pappadeaux's quite a bit better even though it is a chain.)

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 12:35:19 pm »

I generally tend to go toward the family food places, just because that is "Grandma's house" stuff - true comfort food.   For upscale'ish dining, yeah, the price points at Smoke are right there with everyone else.  The food just didn't quite get up to the price point at Owasso.

One of the things I want to go back for is the duck...don't often find it on the menu and I would like to see how they do with it.  Will do that at Cherry St.

Like a little upscale, too.  Pretty much all of my personal upscale comparisons are made against Abacus in Dallas.  True Upscale.  And Mason Street Grill, MKE.  They have a lobster mac & cheese that is astounding!!

Don't know how you feel about Bodean's but we have been a couple of times, they seem to have a reputation in town, and they have the prices.  Not as impressed with them as they are....it's good.  Not great.  (I like Pappadeaux's quite a bit better even though it is a chain.)

Bodean's was always a good experience, but I never had anything there I considered a landmark dish, or as MC and I are fond of saying: "Craveable & memorable"- never had that at Bodean's.  That's usually what keeps me going back to a place or making it a priority when we do return to Tulsa or somewhere else from our travels.  Kind of funny as there were must-go places in our travels we thought were amazing.  Now that we live in close proximity to a few of these places, we rarely visit as it just doesn't seem as good as it did when it wasn't available within a reasonable drive.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 09:15:31 pm »

Bodean's was always a good experience, but I never had anything there I considered a landmark dish, or as MC and I are fond of saying: "Craveable & memorable"- never had that at Bodean's.  That's usually what keeps me going back to a place or making it a priority when we do return to Tulsa or somewhere else from our travels.  Kind of funny as there were must-go places in our travels we thought were amazing.  Now that we live in close proximity to a few of these places, we rarely visit as it just doesn't seem as good as it did when it wasn't available within a reasonable drive.

Yeah....we have some of those, too!   Funny how that works.   "Forbidden fruit" syndrome...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org