A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:51:09 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remington Tower to become luxury apartments  (Read 5610 times)
BKDotCom
City Father

« on: March 09, 2020, 09:23:40 am »

https://www.newson6.com/story/41870627/tulsas-remington-tower-sold-almost-3-years-after-tornado-strike

On Monday, it was announced that TAG Multifamily LLC of Colorado purchased the building with plans to convert it to luxury apartments.

"The new luxury apartments will be for lease only. We are working on renderings for the public view and should have a website up soon to provide more information. We're excited to bring this new concept to Tulsa and breathe life back into this beautiful building," said TAG Multifamily representative Travis Reese.

TAG says they plan to start the project in the next 30 days and want the first apartments to open within 12 months.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 10:01:03 am »

That's a good outcome for a building really in danger of coming down.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 01:18:20 pm »

That's a good outcome for a building really in danger of coming down.

Yeah that is great news. That would've been a complete shame.

I bet they got it for a ridiculously bargain price though. It almost seemed like you couldn't pay someone to take it. I can't imagine the complexity and frustration with the insurance claims of businesses in there and the property owners.

I always wondered what would happen if a tornado hit a downtown building or skyscraper. Now we know! While the first thing is ripping off siding and breaking windows, it sounds like the torsional stress on structural members is the worst of it. It sounds like if it were much worse, it would've torsionally bent and (with enough force) ripped beams/joints, at sharp vertical angles, almost as if you were to "twist" the top of it off until parts of it broke. Then with a much weaker frame with critical damage, further damage including collapse is possible. It is hard to imagine how that would look on such a large and tall building.

As far as I can tell, if this building would've been demolished, it would've been the largest building destroyed by a tornado (previously, the tallest building hit by one was a 35 story building in Ft Worth, but it had no structural damage).
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 02:17:29 pm »

This would be an interesting area in which to offer “luxury” apartments.  At least the tenants could walk to the Hustler store.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 03:15:30 pm »

This would be an interesting area in which to offer “luxury” apartments.  At least the tenants could walk to the Hustler store.

41st and Sheridan is a bad area?
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 03:27:38 pm »

Not bad, but it does not exactly scream “luxury.”  The land of strip* centers, big box retail, chain restaurants and light manufacturing is not a spot that would typically make me want to pay a lot of monthly rent to live in a luxury apartment next to the Interstate.

* And a strip club.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 03:32:14 pm »

Not bad, but it does not exactly scream “luxury.”  The land of strip* centers, big box retail, chain restaurants and light manufacturing is not a spot that would typically make me want to pay a lot of monthly rent to live in a luxury apartment next to the Interstate.

* And a strip club.

I was thinking more about the houses around there, but yes, strip malls generally suck. The view from Remington up on that hill is probably pretty good so I can see it working. People live in apartments on the top floors of Cityplex and that's surrounded by a half mile of parking lots.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 03:49:48 pm »

As I said on reddit:  It'll have a great view of the interstate and Sam's Club
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 06:41:06 pm »

KOTV was calling the area "midtown"....
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 08:48:23 am »

Not a place I'd pay high dollar to live, but it seems there are lots of people who like highways, parking lots, and national chains. They could walk to the neighborhood bar at BWW for entertainment!
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2020, 10:03:01 am »

They have free TV. a video billboard that would be illegal in any other part of town.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 01:30:45 pm »

"Luxury" is an empty word added to just about every new apartment project these days it seems. They just built some "luxury" apartments in Sapulpa. They are nice looking, new, and modern, but what really defines "luxury"? It seems housing is either "luxury" or "affordable" these days.

I'm glad the tower is being saved. I had assumed by now it was a gonner. Would have been a waste of a decent building.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org