A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:31:29 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oklahoma Moves into No. 2 Spot for Wind Power Capacity in the Nation  (Read 17283 times)
Rattle Trap
Activist

« on: January 19, 2019, 05:42:38 pm »

https://newsok.com/article/5581518/oklahoma-moves-into-no.-2-spot-for-wind-power-capacity-in-the-nation-association-says

Wasn't sure where to post this but I was curious what everyone's opinion on wind power for the state is. It certainly is good from a business attraction perspective. Is the wind catcher project still happening?

Edit: didn't realize this article is nearly a year old. Still a relevant topic though
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 09:15:37 pm »

https://newsok.com/article/5581518/oklahoma-moves-into-no.-2-spot-for-wind-power-capacity-in-the-nation-association-says

Wasn't sure where to post this but I was curious what everyone's opinion on wind power for the state is. It certainly is good from a business attraction perspective. Is the wind catcher project still happening?

Edit: didn't realize this article is nearly a year old. Still a relevant topic though

Migratory bird killers.  Nothing is free from adverse effects.  They are UGLY when flying about the area but.... as long as they aren't in my back yard they are probably better than burning coal.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 10:22:33 pm »

They aren't as efficient as you think. It takes 60 windmills to power the Google server farm at MAIP in Pryor. A single turbine generates 2.5 MW. Google Purchased 3 Gigawatts which is 1200 turbines.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/google-will-be-powered-only-wind-and-solar-citing-massive-savings-728745%3famp=1
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 10:31:32 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 11:37:33 am »

Does anyone know what sort of money the leases pay farmers and ranchers who agree to host wind farms?  I'm more than certain they don't just allow windmills on their property.

I'm really surprised we don't have wind farms here in NE NM, we have plenty of that resource to drive them.  Solar farms seem to be in favor in this area.  I'm planning to build in the neighborhood of a 2000-2400 square foot shop on our property and very seriously considering wind and solar power exclusively for that structure.  If it works well enough, I may consider it eventually to power our entire inn.  My big goal is to see if I can get us off natural gas for our heating needs including our pool.  At one point, a previous owner did have a solar heater for the indoor pool, no idea why it was taken out and replaced with a gas heater unless freezing was an issue.  I think if we ran glycol through the panels (which does cut efficiency a little) and used a small heat exchanger it would be a reliable system.

If we could get off commercial gas and electric, our savings would be around $500/month.  If I had to guess, it would be a four or five year payback.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 11:43:12 am by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 11:57:53 am »

Does anyone know what sort of money the leases pay farmers and ranchers who agree to host wind farms?  I'm more than certain they don't just allow windmills on their property.

I'm really surprised we don't have wind farms here in NE NM, we have plenty of that resource to drive them.  Solar farms seem to be in favor in this area.  I'm planning to build in the neighborhood of a 2000-2400 square foot shop on our property and very seriously considering wind and solar power exclusively for that structure.  If it works well enough, I may consider it eventually to power our entire inn.  My big goal is to see if I can get us off natural gas for our heating needs including our pool.  At one point, a previous owner did have a solar heater for the indoor pool, no idea why it was taken out and replaced with a gas heater unless freezing was an issue.  I think if we ran glycol through the panels (which does cut efficiency a little) and used a small heat exchanger it would be a reliable system.

If we could get off commercial gas and electric, our savings would be around $500/month.  If I had to guess, it would be a four or five year payback.

You should see the Archimedes Death Ray solar farm.

https://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-solar-bird-deaths-20160831-snap-story.html

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 03:56:40 pm »

Migratory bird killers.  Nothing is free from adverse effects.  They are UGLY when flying about the area but.... as long as they aren't in my back yard they are probably better than burning coal.

Maybe it's just a plot to get rid of all the extra snow geese.  Daily limits are 50 a day through 2 seasons, with a special season after the end of the regular season with no daily limit.  Not enough hunters out there any more, so just use windmills!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 12:22:35 am »

The neighborhood cats kill a lot of birds as well.  Unfortunately they don't seem to generate much electricity.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
rebound
City Father

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 11:25:00 am »

I drove by that thing not long ago.  It is an amazing facility.   The tower is so bright, it's like it's not even there.   The top just kind of fades into this massive glowing spot that blends in with the sky and kind of looks like a second sun.  Pretty cool.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2022, 08:19:00 am »

Finally figured this out - the way windmills destroyed Texas, by providing over 25% of the states electrical power!   The more windmills the state gets, the worse acting it becomes!  Must be the electric fields generating brain destroying microbots that started out with Abbott and Paxton and moved throughout their legislature!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2022, 08:30:10 am »

Interesting article for the Oregonian on issues the state is having with turbines operated by PG&E, yes, the same PG&E that deferred maintenance on transmission lines in Northern California.

https://projects.oregonlive.com/wind-farms/
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2022, 10:49:02 am »

Interesting article for the Oregonian on issues the state is having with turbines operated by PG&E, yes, the same PG&E that deferred maintenance on transmission lines in Northern California.

https://projects.oregonlive.com/wind-farms/

It's time to rewrite the contracts to the land owners such that poor maintenance and tax credits elsewhere do not reduce payments to the land owners.  It's also time for utilities in general to face financial responsibility (they might lose money) for incompetence.

tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2022, 07:11:31 am »

Finally figured this out - the way windmills destroyed Texas, by providing over 25% of the states electrical power!   The more windmills the state gets, the worse acting it becomes!  Must be the electric fields generating brain destroying microbots that started out with Abbott and Paxton and moved throughout their legislature!

Didn't you know - windmills cause cancer. I guess brain cancer specifically.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2022, 11:00:00 am »

Everything causes cancer.   Grin

The reason cancer kills so many people now is that people didn't used to live long enough to get cancer.   Grin

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2022, 12:34:24 pm »

Everything causes cancer.   Grin

The reason cancer kills so many people now is that people didn't used to live long enough to get cancer.   Grin

Several years ago I saw a report from the FDA that showed test results proving saliva causes cancer!   But only when swallowed in small amounts over a very long time....!

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2022, 12:35:08 pm »

And Oklahoma is number 2 in wind power, so that explains the Failin' Stitt years.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org