A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:46:13 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Expo Christmas lights and beyond....  (Read 10020 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« on: December 18, 2018, 10:59:19 pm »

I hate having to start a new topic...seems like there should already be one for this, but could not find it.

SWMBO has been seeing ad for Expo Christmas light show.  So we decided this evening was a good time to go look at lights.  Started with the display at the Claremore Expo center - very nice little setup they have with a massive 70 foot Norway Spruce they brought in from Michigan, I think they said!!  Trunk sits down in the ground using a manhole concrete form as tree holder.  They fill the tank up every morning and it is soaking up about 100 gallons a day!  They also have an ice skating rink...with no ice.  An artificial material that lets you skate, but also walk on it without slipping.  Pretty cool.  

Next we came back to the fairgrounds to go check out the Expo lights!  No where in any of the ads was there an obvious mention of the charge to get it.  Turns out it is $20 per car!   $45 for mini busses.  And a whopping $75 for large busses...whatever that is.  They didn't really say.   So, I took a picture of the admission sign with a row of toy soldiers lined up down the driveway and did not go in.  I could tell by the lack of a 'glow' against the sky that this display was not even worth considering for that kind of money!   (Rhema is free!)  And Muskogee now charges $5 per carload and you CAN see the 'glow' from a good distance away!

While there, I happened to talk to the security guy riding around in his truck.  Nice guy and helpful!!  He mentioned a place called Paragon.  I had no idea what it was, but was willing to go look.  Go down highway 75 to highway 117 (like you are going to Sapulpa from Glenpool.)  Turn right...or west...and go a while - mile or so.  Go slow, cause traffic will probably be going slow.  Be prepared to be amazed!   The only complaint we have is there is no access to drive through.  But you can drive back and forth in front of the place as much as you want!!  Really great!   Each drive by you see something new.  And I can't believe someone from Sapulpa hasn't said anything...probably don't want all that traffic!!

Tomorrow is a place I almost hate to mention - a private residence on 101st, way out east!!  Just west of NSU.  Amazing for individual setup, though.  

Thursday night is Muskogee Honor Heights Park.  Gonna see if I can get a bus to take 20 or 30 people!  $5.  Great viewing!  Great little tiny road trip!

And yeah, Rhema is still the huge deal it always is...we have been by there 3 or 4 times this year.  It has almost been 'done to death'....

Anyone got any places that might be considered special to go look at??   We are always looking for light displays to go see.  Special doesn't necessarily mean huge - Claremore is not huge, but nice little display!  And Muskogee is certainly a viable distance, so anything in the circle that radius in surrounding area is good!  Probably not gonna go to OKC before Christmas, though.  We have been to North Pole City twice this fall.  (Between Radke, Dept 56, and Lettner China, we are about done getting "stuff"...now just looking!!)

« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 11:00:50 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Rattle Trap
Activist

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 08:29:19 am »

My go to like most people is always Rhema. Philbrook usually has a nice light show in their gardens and I believe it's fairly cheap to get in. We always try to have a walk through Guthrie Green as well. They do a great job with the lights there. I THINK they even have an actual event at Guthrie Green with a live band and everything at some point.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 09:25:19 am »

What has the Gathering Place done? Or the Botanical Gardens, are they worthwhile?
rebound
City Father

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 12:05:40 pm »

What has the Gathering Place done? Or the Botanical Gardens, are they worthwhile?

I was over there last week to check out the lights.  Not bad, but I have not seen Rhema or any of the others.  But it is free, and they had people on stilts walking around all lit up with lights, and some other performers.  Overall, thumbs up and would recommend.

From the World:
"While the lights and lodge will be available to enjoy through the week, vendors and other entertainment will be there Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings during Winter Wonderland, which runs from Friday, Nov. 30, through Dec. 30."

https://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/food/first-winter-wonderland-at-gathering-place-to-bring-something-new/article_c510465e-2dd3-53dc-9f9b-36e60864836e.html

joiei
City Father

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 08:13:08 am »

I hate having to start a new topic...seems like there should already be one for this, but could not find it.

SWMBO has been seeing ad for Expo Christmas light show.  So we decided this evening was a good time to go look at lights.  Started with the display at the Claremore Expo center - very nice little setup they have with a massive 70 foot Norway Spruce they brought in from Michigan, I think they said!!  Trunk sits down in the ground using a manhole concrete form as tree holder.  They fill the tank up every morning and it is soaking up about 100 gallons a day!  They also have an ice skating rink...with no ice.  An artificial material that lets you skate, but also walk on it without slipping.  Pretty cool.  

Next we came back to the fairgrounds to go check out the Expo lights!  No where in any of the ads was there an obvious mention of the charge to get it.  Turns out it is $20 per car!   $45 for mini busses.  And a whopping $75 for large busses...whatever that is.  They didn't really say.   So, I took a picture of the admission sign with a row of toy soldiers lined up down the driveway and did not go in.  I could tell by the lack of a 'glow' against the sky that this display was not even worth considering for that kind of money!   (Rhema is free!)  And Muskogee now charges $5 per carload and you CAN see the 'glow' from a good distance away!

While there, I happened to talk to the security guy riding around in his truck.  Nice guy and helpful!!  He mentioned a place called Paragon.  I had no idea what it was, but was willing to go look.  Go down highway 75 to highway 117 (like you are going to Sapulpa from Glenpool.)  Turn right...or west...and go a while - mile or so.  Go slow, cause traffic will probably be going slow.  Be prepared to be amazed!   The only complaint we have is there is no access to drive through.  But you can drive back and forth in front of the place as much as you want!!  Really great!   Each drive by you see something new.  And I can't believe someone from Sapulpa hasn't said anything...probably don't want all that traffic!!

Tomorrow is a place I almost hate to mention - a private residence on 101st, way out east!!  Just west of NSU.  Amazing for individual setup, though.  

Thursday night is Muskogee Honor Heights Park.  Gonna see if I can get a bus to take 20 or 30 people!  $5.  Great viewing!  Great little tiny road trip!

And yeah, Rhema is still the huge deal it always is...we have been by there 3 or 4 times this year.  It has almost been 'done to death'....

Anyone got any places that might be considered special to go look at??   We are always looking for light displays to go see.  Special doesn't necessarily mean huge - Claremore is not huge, but nice little display!  And Muskogee is certainly a viable distance, so anything in the circle that radius in surrounding area is good!  Probably not gonna go to OKC before Christmas, though.  We have been to North Pole City twice this fall.  (Between Radke, Dept 56, and Lettner China, we are about done getting "stuff"...now just looking!!)

You need to add Chandler Park to your list.  It is a drive through and put together by the folks over on the west side. 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 01:37:58 pm »

You need to add Chandler Park to your list.  It is a drive through and put together by the folks over on the west side.  

Oh, yeah...Geez - I can't believe I forgot about that!!  Thanks!

Going to Muskogee tonight with a quick run by Paragon first.  May try to work that in, too!  If not, there is always tomorrow night!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org