A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:37:50 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Readers choose Tulsa as best US city for philanthropy  (Read 5100 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« on: December 06, 2018, 03:35:19 pm »

Can't say I was surprised.

https://www.philanthropy.com/article/Readers-Pick-Tulsa-as-Best/245198

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 03:45:41 pm »

Here's a startling piece of info when you put it in perspective of the population difference between Tulsa and NYC (from Hoss' article):

Giving to Tulsa’s United Way reached almost $26 million last year, just $5 million shy of the giving total to the United Way of New York City — even though metro Tulsa’s population doesn’t even top 1 million.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 07:46:07 pm »

Here's a startling piece of info when you put it in perspective of the population difference between Tulsa and NYC (from Hoss' article):

Are there that many poor people in need in NYC?  Some poor hipster needs rental help with his tiny, million dollar apartment?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 11:23:30 am »

Are there that many poor people in need in NYC?  Some poor hipster needs rental help with his tiny, million dollar apartment?

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 11:56:11 am »

Careful.  Your inner Republican is showing!

By the numbers you would think NYC's needs would be much, much higher.  There again, the cost of living is so high that people may not have the left over disposable income for charity.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 12:33:14 pm »

By the numbers you would think NYC's needs would be much, much higher.  There again, the cost of living is so high that people may not have the left over disposable income for charity.

Here is some info for them.  64,000 or so.  Seems like a lot.   Don't we have a few hundred?

http://www.coalitionforthehomeless.org/basic-facts-about-homelessness-new-york-city/

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 03:45:21 pm »

Now just a minute.  Some of my liberal friends who live in liberal, higher taxed states, would say they give plenty via their taxes.  They would argue that they get better results giving the way they do, through taxes.  The one exception may be when their taxes go to Oklahoma.  Wink

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org