A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:25:32 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brady Theater being renamed  (Read 9686 times)
Ibanez
City Father

« on: December 06, 2018, 01:31:57 pm »

To "The Tulsa Theater"

Roll Eyes

Ok, fine. Rename it, but that is a terrible name. At the very least they could have gone with Tulsa Municipal Theater which is what it was named from the early 1900's - late 1970's.

Next up....renaming Oklahoma because it is both racist and specist.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 01:54:32 pm »

To "The Tulsa Theater"

Roll Eyes

Ok, fine. Rename it, but that is a terrible name. At the very least they could have gone with Tulsa Municipal Theater which is what it was named from the early 1900's - late 1970's.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/government/brady-theater-owner-peter-mayo-says-he-s-flexible-about/article_1d34d59e-aa06-56a3-90f2-725adcedd6f1.html

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Rattle Trap
Activist

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 01:56:06 pm »

Yeah all of the renaming is completely ridiculous. At the very least make the new name something unique. They already renamed the Brady Arts District to the absurdly generic "Arts District". The only cool thing about this name change is they have the original Tulsa sign that they're bringing back.

I've got a running list of name ideas to match their unimaginative and generic renaming campaign:

Cain's Ballroom --> A Ballroom
Philbrook Museum of Art --> Tulsa Art Museum
BOK Center --> Tulsa Concert Venue
Guthrie Green --> Downtown Park
The Gathering Place --> Large Park
Gilcrease Museum --> Native American Museum
Golden Driller --> Oil Man Statue

and for a bonus....Oklahoma --> 46th State in the Union
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 02:08:45 pm »

It's all going to be okay
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 02:29:48 pm »

It's all going to be okay

Yes, but this renaming nonsense is silly.

I think I'll stick with "I'm going to a concert at The Old Lady on Brady" since  "I'm going to a concert at The Tulsa Theater on Reconciliation Way in the Arts District" doesn't roll of the tongue quite as easily.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 02:31:01 pm »

Not surprised at all. Rename the street, Brady Theater has to go to doesn't it. Willing to bet the next names will all be oil related because of their dealings in the 20's, and Union will have to drop Redskins from their name.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 02:56:44 pm »

Not surprised at all. Rename the street, Brady Theater has to go to doesn't it. Willing to bet the next names will all be oil related because of their dealings in the 20's, and Union will have to drop Redskins from their name.

Already a discussion about that some years back if memory serves...think it was right around the time that NEO changed their mascot name from Redmen to Riverhawks.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 06:59:34 pm »

We also need to re-name "Tulsa" because the memory of the Battle of Chusto-Talasah in north Tulsa is too painful because it was a Confederate victory.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 07:15:50 pm »

"flexible"

Fox23 sounds not only certain but somewhat cheery about it:

TULSA, Okla. - The Brady Theater is getting a makeover!
The historic venue located on the soon-to-be-renamed Reconciliation Way will become the Tulsa Theater in 2019.
Peter Mayo, owner, announced the name change on Thursday. Mayo and his team said the name change had been in the works since the 2013 renaming of Brady Street to M.B. Brady Street.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 12:33:07 am »

"flexible"

Fox23 sounds not only certain but somewhat cheery about it:

TULSA, Okla. - The Brady Theater is getting a makeover!
The historic venue located on the soon-to-be-renamed Reconciliation Way will become the Tulsa Theater in 2019.
Peter Mayo, owner, announced the name change on Thursday. Mayo and his team said the name change had been in the works since the 2013 renaming of Brady Street to M.B. Brady Street.

FWIW, Pete and I discussed this at the time Brady St. was re-named MB Brady St. and he was very ambivalent about the thought of re-naming the theater.  He's never been much of a follower and stays pretty well in the shadows as compares to other productive scions of Tulsa's early families.  In 1977 when he bought the theater, that would have been a very ballsy move to buy a dilapidated theater dead-center in a blight zone.  He was an original stake-holder in buying risky property north of the IDL and chose to stay out of the public discussion on whitewashing re-naming the area.

I can only guess that he figured if everyone else was going to drop Tate Brady from the conscience of Tulsa, it was finally his turn.  I do salute Pete for being the last hold-out.

Thanks for the trouble, Lee Roy Chapman.  I do hope you are at peace now.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 11:51:42 am »

FWIW, Pete and I discussed this at the time Brady St. was re-named MB Brady St. and he was very ambivalent about the thought of re-naming the theater.  He's never been much of a follower and stays pretty well in the shadows as compares to other productive scions of Tulsa's early families.  In 1977 when he bought the theater, that would have been a very ballsy move to buy a dilapidated theater dead-center in a blight zone.  He was an original stake-holder in buying risky property north of the IDL and chose to stay out of the public discussion on whitewashing re-naming the area.

I can only guess that he figured if everyone else was going to drop Tate Brady from the conscience of Tulsa, it was finally his turn.  I do salute Pete for being the last hold-out.

Thanks for the trouble, Lee Roy Chapman.  I do hope you are at peace now.

I knew Peter after he bought the theater, and recall he had a passion for the historical goldmine he was now the caretaker of.
He didnt impress me as someone who would be tossed around by whims of political correctness, but there is simply no other explanation for sidelining a well-recognized and highly marketable identity like "Old Lady on Brady."

...but I dont think he'll send the old stationery to the recycle bin.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 08:57:45 pm »

Restoring the old sign from the 1950s.
AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 11:03:03 am »

We also need to re-name "Tulsa" because the memory of the Battle of Chusto-Talasah in north Tulsa is too painful because it was a Confederate victory.

Good point.  I think we rename "Tulsa" to the more recognizable name "City."  Or we could simply use a shorter version such as "Fly-over Country, Mid-Western City."  It just flows.  :-) 
brettakins
Activist

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 04:52:10 am »

Is Brady Heights up next for a name change?

]https://ktul.com/news/local/is-brady-heights-up-next-for-a-name-change]

https://twitter.com/MummoloNews/status/1070802258013708288
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2018, 10:58:02 am »

The gates been opened. I'm waiting for someone that wants St Francis and St Johns changed because of the Catholic priest sex abuse scandal.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org