A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:06:41 am
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neighborhood Speedhumps  (Read 28274 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2018, 09:37:48 pm »

Policymakers may celebrate the speed bumps as evidence of their concern for homeowner and traffic safety, but more enlightened public employees might appreciate the negative externality that the speed bump becomes as nearby home values and qualities of life decline, if modestly. And everyone, everywhere, can safely claim that speed bumps slow emergency vehicle response times. Prospective new home buyers may reject out-of-hand the purchase of a home with a noteworthy speed bump nearby, contemplating the traversal of said impediment thousands of times during a typical ownership period.

The evidence suggested that as more speed bumps were traversed – after controlling for a multitude of other descriptive factors such as home size and age – home values declined. And the declination was not sensitive to the year of sale or the type of home. The homes examined sold, for the most part, at prices between $175,000 and $300,000 (the average was around $250,000), and each speed bump between the main drag and the house appeared to reduce home values by $5,000 or more.

http://www.wilmingtonbiz.com/insights/robert_t_burrus_jr/speed_bumps_reduced_speeds_and_lowered_housing_values/910

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2018, 12:53:16 pm »

Our neighborhood was surprised today with about a dozen new speed humps.
No idea who requested them, and it apparently didnt go thru neighborhood contacts (of which I am one).

The humps arent on my street, but the traffic diverted from them is.  My street is now much less safe than it was this time yesterday.
Neighbors are livid the resources went to this and not to the potholes.

You should pay more attention to such things instead of Lighting and Cops....

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2018, 05:15:43 pm »

You should pay more attention to such things instead of Lighting and Cops....

As opposed to you and squirrels....

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2018, 09:03:25 pm »

“So often I hear, ‘I didn’t even know we were getting speed bumps,’” Regan said.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/who-will-replace-blake-ewing-as-district-city-councilor-voters/article_2a2cc1c9-d815-5e86-b9fe-4e3400b4ad53.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org