A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:18:31 pm
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 60   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The "this has nothing to do with Tulsa" mega-post  (Read 366070 times)
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #840 on: July 22, 2020, 11:56:42 am »

I was born and raised in Tulsa, lived there from 1963 to 1998. I've been back four times, '04, '17, '19 and '20. I was glad to see the replaced 244/75 bridge over the river and the resurfacing of 244, but it still just surprises me how little surface streets have been maintained north 61st. Have they finished the construction/repair on 15th between Lewis and Utica?

I drove on my last trip back in March, and for once I will say I was thankful for a turnpike, I used the Kilpatrick to avoid the construction when I headed back. You mention cloverleafs, the interchange I linked to as well as a couple of others near there, was laid out originally as a cloverleaf but they never actually put in the loop segments. The traffic circles were good for about 10 or 12 years but then the area grew and the bridge and the circles just couldn't handle the flow.

You mention Tucson, I was talking with friends about what a pain Tucson is because of it's layout. It grew around Davis-Monthan AFB, main to the north and up against the Catalina Mountains, long before I-10 was built. When I-10 went through it was built on the west side of the city, and it never fails when any of us go to visit, the people usually live about 8 to 10 miles away from the freeway.

244 was actually rebuilt as was I44 from about Catoosa to the Arkansas River.
They're actively working on the surface streets but they take forever as each utility comes in, does their work, and repaves that section before the next utility comes in and does the same.
I'm glad they're doing the subsurface work as well but, they need a more efficient way of doing it.

I believe they're getting ready to start I44 from the river to 244 as well. That stretch is in real bad shape.

They've done a lot of work on 51 but it's been mostly resurfacing and bridge refurbishment/replacement. Same with 75 and 169.
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #841 on: July 22, 2020, 12:23:14 pm »

You also understand that people are moving away from freeways and interstates.   Look at the ruckus following the Eastern Oklahoma Turnpike (Kickapoo Turnpike) from south end SE 89th Street in Oklahoma City to North end I-44 / Turner Turnpike in Luther; resident claim they moved to the area to get away from the interstate system.   Wow, what a blow this was to them.

The new flyover bridge will connect I-40 with the new Kickapoo Turnpike in eastern Oklahoma County.

Best of luck in Tulsa, both of Oklahoma's largest metro areas need road repairs on bridges, interchanges and general resurfacing of main roads--it's essential to our growth.

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #842 on: July 22, 2020, 08:10:56 pm »

Boeing expanding presence in OKC

Designed by Oklahoma City-based Guernsey and being constructed by Alberici, the $20 million, 60,770 square-foot addition will include a wing and fuselage from a retired U.S. Air Force B-52 bomber, allowing the company’s engineers to utilize it for hands-on form, fit and function testing.

This project and others at Boeing OKC will create openings for more than 300 engineers in 2020. This year, Boeing OKC has hired 190 engineers to date. 

"The high-bay addition will enable our talented engineers to do prototyping with a B-52, as well as real-time collaboration with our U.S. Air Force customer," said Nancy Anderson, Boeing OKC's vice president of aircraft modernization and modification. “It's the best of both worlds. We have models and we can now get access to an airplane.”

Boeing link:  https://www.velocityokc.com/blog/development/boeing-expanding-presence-in-okc/?utm_source=VeloCityEmail&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=IntAero&utm_content=Boeing7_17_20

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #843 on: July 22, 2020, 08:49:05 pm »

Artist Pete Beeman commissioned for Softball Hall of Fame piece

Artist Pete Beeman:  https://www.velocityokc.com/blog/inside-okc/artist-pete-beeman-commissioned-for-softball-hall-of-fame-piece/

Oklahoma City leaders know that arts and cultural investments make cities great places to live, to travel and study, and more attractive for economic development.

The office works with the Arts Commission, oversees the coordination of the 1% for Arts ordinance, guides stewardship of the public art collection, and facilitates cultural planning and implementation and the relationships between artists, cultural organizations, and other groups.

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #844 on: July 23, 2020, 02:30:53 pm »

Tower with $100 million of recent renovations to go for $35.5 million.                                            

The Oklahoma Commissioners of the Land Office voted June 11 to purchase the SandRidge Tower for $35.5 million for use as a state office building, with closing on the purchase subject to a due diligence examination.  

Named SandRidge Commons, designers called the project unique in character and approach. The project spans two city blocks in the heart of downtown, demolition of four older buildings surrounding the former Kerr-McGee tower made room for construction of a new mid-rise and the reconstruction of Kerr Park.

DEQ relocation is not in the future plans of the tower.  In order for DEQ (Department of Environmental Quality) to relocate its offices to the Sandridge Tower, it would have needed to find space elsewhere for its laboratory.

The DEQ will not be among the offices to relocate to SandRidge Tower.  Oklahoma Tax Commission, Oklahoma State Tourism and Recreation Department and Oklahoma Department of Health were among the agencies lined up to move into the tower, and that other state agencies such as the Oklahoma Water Resources Board and Department of Mines are considering the move.

The Commissioners of the Land Office expects to operate the building much like a condo, with state agencies buying the floors they will occupy while paying the land office to maintain the building.

SandRidge Tower's parking garage and additional parking under and near the building will be included in the  Oklahoma Commissioners of the Land Office's purchase; it includes about 1,400 spaces.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 02:49:32 pm by Laramie » Logged

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #845 on: July 24, 2020, 12:16:58 pm »

Oklahoma City Convention Center Complex

1,100 space convention center garage

Construction picks via OKCTalk.com
Register & join the conversation:  https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=26179&page=252&p=1131187&posted=1#post1131187

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #846 on: July 26, 2020, 10:12:56 am »

First Americans Museum, Oklahoma City

When the $175 million project is completed May 2021, it will provide visitors with a fully interactive museum experience that will teach about the many tribes now called First Americans.

It was revived by a partnership between the city of Oklahoma City and the Chickasaw Nation in a deal that captured $25 million from the state, contingent on a private match, and provided the tribe an opportunity to develop 100 acres of property around the museum, which lies southeast of the I-35/40 crosstown interchange near downtown.[

The $175 million, 175,000-square-foot museum is designed to Smithsonian Institution standards. Features will include a Smithsonian and Tribal Nations galleries; artifacts from the Smithsonian collections will be displayed.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 10:25:04 am by Laramie » Logged

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #847 on: July 26, 2020, 05:49:15 pm »

Broadway Park in Automobile Alley, Oklahoma City

1122 N. Broadway

Dubbed Broadway Place, the new structure would feature space for a 'table cloth' restaurant with outdoor seating on the fourth floor as well as an area on the rooftop for outdoor entertainment, parties and receptions.

The office space includes balconies for outdoor furniture and views of the downtown skyline.--OKCTalk.com  03-12-2016

More infill, with great downtown, Oklahoma City skyline view.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 05:54:27 pm by Laramie » Logged

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #848 on: July 28, 2020, 04:12:49 pm »

29 years ago

Father Stanley Francis Rother (March 27, 1935 – July 28, 1981) was an American Roman Catholic priest from Oklahoma who was murdered in Guatemala.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #849 on: July 28, 2020, 05:15:51 pm »

29 years ago

Father Stanley Francis Rother (March 27, 1935 – July 28, 1981) was an American Roman Catholic priest from Oklahoma who was murdered in Guatemala.

You may need to calibrate your flux capacitor, it should be 39 years ago.
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #850 on: July 29, 2020, 09:10:41 am »

You may need to calibrate your flux capacitor, it should be 39 years ago.

LOL.  Thanks for calling that to my attention.  I caught that on my way out and couldn't get to my computer in time to make changes because it was already in the maintenance stages.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 10:26:01 am by Laramie » Logged

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #851 on: July 29, 2020, 10:04:49 am »

Kratos contract for five-years worth up to $400 million work in its OKC operation.

Kratos Defense and Security, the California-based company with an unmanned aviation manufacturing facility in Oklahoma City and offices in the Tulsa area just won a $400 million part of the Air Force’s futuristic Skyborg Vanguard Program; the company announced it won a five-year contract worth up to $400 million to develop a prototype air vehicle that would support the U.S. Air Force’s Skyborg program.  Kratos has manufacturing and production facilities located in Oklahoma City and in California. 

It has opened a new 100,000 square foot unmanned aerial system (UAS) production facility in the Will Rogers Business Park in Oklahoma City.

The company  specializes in unmanned systems, satellite communications, cyber security/warfare, microwave electronics, missile defense, hypersonic systems, training, combat systems and next generation turbojet and turbofan engine development.

Eric DeMarco, Kratos’ CEO, noted that affordability is becoming an ever-increasing important part of technology; he further emphasized “we are executing on our plan to be a disruptive leader providing affordable systems to our Department of Defense and national security partners and customer base which we work extremely closely with,” said DeMarco. “We believe that this plan is completely complementary to the Skyborg mission, and we look forward to supporting the Skyborg program for the USAF.”

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #852 on: July 29, 2020, 07:50:29 pm »

Sonic opens first redesigned drive-in in Oklahoma

Sonic Drive-in has planned to open the first of its new concept locations on the site of a recently demolished former Sonic at NW 23rd and Pennsylvania.

But the company decided the site was too small for the desired layout and instead focused on a location Talequah which just opened.

The property at N. W. 23rd and Pennsylvania in Oklahoma City is now up for sale.

PRESS RELEASE:

On the heels of launching a new brand identity and advertising campaign in the spring, SONIC Drive-In recently unveiled the first drive-in of the brand’s new restaurant design – Delight. The updated look provides a fun and inviting space for guests to enjoy a moment of carefree bliss in their daily routine.

Located in Tahlequah, Oklahoma, the first of the newly designed drive-ins features 18 docks, a drive-thru and a covered outdoor patio, where guests can dine under string lights and enjoy lawn games.

The exterior of the drive-in highlights SONIC’s new brand identity with pops of red, blue and a bit of yellow, reminding guests that summertime is a feeling, not just a season. The new design also pays homage to SONIC’s signature beverages, with a large, brightly-lit cherry placed atop the building as a nod to the more than 9 million Cherry Limeades enjoyed at its drive-ins across the country each year.

Inside the drive-in, a brand-new kitchen layout enables teams to operate more efficiently, delivering on the brand’s original slogan of “service at the speed of sound.” That quick service is amplified by SONIC’s Mobile Order Ahead platform, allowing guests to take advantage of contactless ordering and payment.

The updated design will also translate seamlessly to previous formats and footprints as SONIC grows its presence across the U.S., and internationally. Already, several SONIC franchisees currently building or remodeling their locations have taken advantage of this new design.

The second restaurant in the new design is under construction in Fort Worth, Texas, and expected to open in July.

This design looks similar to the retrofit designs of the late 90s

The license fee for a non-traditional Sonic restaurant is $22,500, with a total investment ranging from $361,900 to $978,700 (excluding land). The term of a SONIC franchise ranges from 10 to 20 years, plus a 10-year renewal option.

Sonic Corporate Office
300 Johnny Bench Drive
Oklahoma City, OK 73104
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 07:58:44 pm by Laramie » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #853 on: July 31, 2020, 03:48:14 pm »

Sonic opens first redesigned drive-in in Oklahoma

The second restaurant in the new design is under construction in Fort Worth, Texas, and expected to open in July.

Sonic Corporate Office
300 Johnny Bench Drive
Oklahoma City, OK 73104

I have a novel idea for Sonic;   Hey, Sonic, get your food right!   Don't worry about the building - Hank's does great in a real dump of a shop because of the food!  Instead of the carp that is now at the end of a long slide you have been in for years!

Pay some attention to what is actually ordered!   The "joke", which really isn't a joke, but more reality, is you go to Sonic, give them your money and they will bring you what they want you to have!

Get the drinks right!   Like QuikTrip, the fountain drinks have been on a downward slide for a long time.  And IF you are gonna define a recipe - specifically for Route 44 Cherry limeade - train the people and get management to actually follow the recipe!  Two of the grandkids in different states worked at Sonic in high school.  The R 44 "recipe" called for 4 cherries.   I have not gotten more than 1 cherry in over 10 years.  And about 1/3 of the time, there are none.  It has been since the 70's since they got it right.  This is at Sonics in Oologah, St Louis, Broken Arrow, several in Tulsa.  Everywhere.

And the chicken nuggets...blech!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #854 on: August 02, 2020, 01:12:27 pm »

OU Health Patient Tower's $364 million construction update

One of the largest hospital expansion projects in the nation and the largest hospital expansion project in Oklahoma history, the OU Medicine patient bed tower, is coming into the skyline. Construction started in November 2017 and the $364 million, 456,000-square-foot tower is slated to be finished in 2020

Pic via OKCTalk.com

Home to Oklahoma's only Level One Trauma Center.

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 60   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org