A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:32:54 am
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 60   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The "this has nothing to do with Tulsa" mega-post  (Read 367629 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #270 on: January 03, 2019, 04:31:52 pm »

I don't mind there being an OKC Development thread, maybe a mod can just change the name?  Keep all the OKC stuff in one spot though.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #271 on: January 03, 2019, 05:30:25 pm »

I don't mind there being an OKC Development thread, maybe a mod can just change the name?  Keep all the OKC stuff in one spot though.

I don't mind either.   But not in the "Talk about Tulsa > Development and New Business" subforum.

Hell, OKCtalk has Tulsa stuff separate.  Maybe have a section specifically for non Tulsa development?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #272 on: January 04, 2019, 08:33:45 am »

I don't mind OKC stuff in here somewhere. But why does it have to be in the "Downtown Development Overview" thread? I agree with suggestions to keep it all in one OKC thread. I rarely make it over to OKCtalk so it's useful to have this here.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #273 on: January 04, 2019, 09:51:50 am »

A few suggestions:

• Rename "The Burbs" to "Other Oklahoma localities"
   This thread would go here
  • Combine "Restaurant Reviews" & "Other Local Reviews"
  • Rename "Non-Tulsa Discussions" to "water cooler"
  • Move "Local & State Politics" to "water cooler"
  • REMOVE "National & International Politics"
PhiAlpha
Citizen

« Reply #274 on: January 04, 2019, 10:00:39 am »

Please stop posting about OKC on a Tulsa forum.

Enough is enough.

If you don’t want to see stuff about OKC, you could probably save yourself a lot of trouble by just avoiding a thread titled “OKC Stuff”...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #275 on: January 04, 2019, 03:14:31 pm »

A few suggestions:

• Rename "The Burbs" to "Other Oklahoma localities"
   This thread would go here
  • Combine "Restaurant Reviews" & "Other Local Reviews"
  • Rename "Non-Tulsa Discussions" to "water cooler"
  • Move "Local & State Politics" to "water cooler"
  • REMOVE "National & International Politics"

The Burbs isn't all bad...after all, OKC in reality is just a suburb of Tulsa!  Tulsa is the main, more important 'show'.   Quaint little bedroom community at the other end of the turnpike..l.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #276 on: January 05, 2019, 12:22:17 pm »

Oklahoma City Streetcars will be free to ride through Feb. 1, Embark transit said Friday.

Plans had been to collect the $1 fare beginning Sunday.

Saturday, January 5, 2019 | by William Crum/Oklahoman

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #277 on: January 05, 2019, 12:39:56 pm »

Public possibilities

A park and development over Interstate 235 between downtown and the Oklahoma Health Center is one of several "big sky" ideas that continues to be discussed by some civic leaders. [Rendering by Miles Associates Architects]

Q: In one of last year's chats, another reader asked about adding taller buildings to the skyline. I think your answer was to improve education and then we could expect half a dozen skyscrapers. What exactly would this look like? A: Start with the basics and go from there. It's 2019 and we should not accept any school not having a complete sidewalk connection to nearby neighborhoods. We should realize that there are forces out there who claim they are against more funding for schools because of perceived waste and I've seen and heard these same folks talking about how they really want to do away with public education.

Realize that and understand that's where they are coming from, right or wrong.

If we are to continue having a public school system, then make teacher salaries among the highest in the country to attract the best talent. Look at housing down payment assistance as a way to draw talent in the same way Tulsa is offering $10,000 per person to relocate to their city (hint: having a more targeting effort aimed at public school teachers will go a lot farther in impact).
Expand and improve after-school programs for kids. Get CareerTech to open visible branches at inner-city schools. Put your best people, your best resources, at the worst performing schools.

These efforts will attract the people who build cities.

Saturday, January 5, 2019 | by Steve Lackmeyer/Oklahoman
https://www.oklahoman.com/potential-maps-4-projects-but-not-a-new-downtown-arena-emerging-with-vote-possible-next-winter/article/5619441

« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 01:00:12 pm by Laramie » Logged

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
Tulsasaurus Rex
Civic Leader

« Reply #278 on: January 05, 2019, 12:47:04 pm »

I admire your spite
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #279 on: January 05, 2019, 01:58:25 pm »

Construction is underway to make improvements to the eastern end of the Turner Turnpike, which include widening it to six lanes and replacing old bridges.
[Photo by Jim Beckel, The Oklahoman]

Oklahoma's two major metropolitan areas are on the verge of break-out; each city with its own identity. The Turner Turnpike is the fastest vehicle link between both cities.  There are preliminary plans to address the future of rail transit between both cities who have growth in suburbs like Broken Arrow, Jenks, Bixby, Owasso, Norman, Edmond, Moore & Midwest City.

We have two major growing airports in Will Rogers World & Tulsa International; this unites us closer together.

Our moderate growth gives us time to plan ahead for the future, make rationale decisions that will affect the future of our communities.

Oklahoma has the water resources in our lakes, streams, rivers & reservoirs that will make us attractive to corporations, companies & businesses looking to relocate in a state that provides an urban environment braced for families & young professionals.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 02:00:15 pm by Laramie » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #280 on: January 06, 2019, 01:53:41 pm »

Oklahoma has the water resources in our lakes, streams, rivers & reservoirs that will make us attractive to corporations, companies & businesses looking to relocate in a state that provides an urban environment braced for families & young professionals.

Maybe those water resources are why we have been in drought for so much of the last few years....we don't have water for "major expansion" of industry. 

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #281 on: January 06, 2019, 02:05:29 pm »

Maybe those water resources are why we have been in drought for so much of the last few years....we don't have water for "major expansion" of industry. 

Not aware this was a problem.  Please name the project(s) in particular that wanted major expansion in Oklahoma where they cited a lack of water resources as a decision for major expansion?

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #282 on: January 07, 2019, 03:45:55 pm »

Not aware this was a problem.  Please name the project(s) in particular that wanted major expansion in Oklahoma where they cited a lack of water resources as a decision for major expansion?

No specifics other than the general casting around looking for water that OKC is involved in.  In particular, trying to steal it from the Native Americans...again.  And the ongoing issues keeping the lakes full during the last few years.  The water for new industry comes from the same drought stricken places that agriculture and recreation are all vying for.  We can do some measured expansion, but if we "suddenly" - as in 10 or 15 years - doubled the industry (and accompanying population, infrastructure, and recreational needs) in this state, there would be issues.

We have doubled our population in the last 40 years or so (+/-) and water is available as needed now, but the 'cushion' is dramatically smaller than the past.

Add to the fact that groundwater is being contaminated at an increasing rate, there will be spot shortages.   Norman - gets about 40% of it's water from wells and they have had to shutdown at least 3 of their wells in just the last few years - arsenic and other contaminants.   One of the things in their 2060 plan is reuse of water.  Treat it, send it to homes, then gather it back through the sewer treatment plant and put it back into Lake Thunderbird to go through treatment/use again.   (Local nickname - Lake Dirtybird.)

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 03:49:14 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #283 on: January 08, 2019, 06:04:49 pm »

This may be where you obtained the term steal; Oklahoma has water resources; thanks to the late Robert S. Kerr who served as U.S. Senator representing Oklahoma from 1949 to 1963.  One of his major projects:  The McClellan-Kerr Arkansas River Navigation System, a series of 18 locks and dams making the waterway navigable from the Tulsa Port of Catoosa to the Mississippi River.

Here are the alternatives; sell water to Oklahoma City or to Fort Worth-Arlington.

It's worth noting that this debate has been ongoing since 2007, when Oklahoma City raised the prospect of appropriating water from Sardis Lake. Opponents all along have argued that solid scientific data has been lacking, or that city officials are looking to “steal” from those who live in the southeastern part of the state, where rivers and lakes are vital to tourism and economic development. This legal challenge is one more attempt to plug the future pipeline.

Another challenge to OKC water deal:  https://newsok.com/article/5577351/another-challenge-to-okc-water-deal

Sardis Lake is located 5 miles north of Clayton, Oklahoma, along Oklahoma Highway 2 in Choctaw Country in southeastern Oklahoma. The lake covers 14,360 acres, with 117 miles of shoreline.

"This is a major victory for Oklahoma, with all nine justices agreeing with our argument that Texas does not have the right to come into Oklahoma and take our water," Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt said. "This unanimous decision will affect all western states governed by multistate water compacts."

Supreme Court sides with Oklahoma in water fight  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/06/13/supreme-court-water-texas-oklahoma-compacts/2382849/

Do you realized that Oklahoma population in 1930 was 2.4 million; in 1960 it rose to 2.3 million.  It took Oklahoma 30 years to recover from the results of the Depression and the infamous Dust Bowl eras in which an estimated 400,000 people left the state.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 06:19:21 pm by Laramie » Logged

Laramie
City Father

« Reply #284 on: January 08, 2019, 08:09:12 pm »

More Oklahoma City Midtown development

Pics via OKCTalk development forum.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 08:11:10 pm by Laramie » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 60   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org