A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:54:46 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Places to find things to do in Tulsa... Events, plays, shows, etc.  (Read 12519 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« on: September 28, 2018, 04:30:37 pm »

I'm not new to town.  I'm not some lazy clod who doesn't know how to look things up.  I'm fairly well linked into various communities to have a feel for what's going on.  But I still feel like ton slips by.

What's the best source of "things to do?"  

Example: We had a friend back out of plan tonight.  Lets see if there are any interesting plays running right now.  The only way I know how to run that search is to check poll star, check the PAC, various community playhouses, various troops/theater companies (American, Heller, etc.), BA PAC, U Tulsa PAC, Nightengale Theater, Tulsa's Little Theater, the Spotlight theater, etc. etc. etc. and check each one.  It's a pain in the donkey. Someone has to keep a list of who is putting on what play - right?

Same with more localized live music.  I know how to track the national tours.  Obviously a few venues can be checked individually.  Anywhere aggregate local music scenes?

Check what's playing at the Circle.  Athletic events with TU, ORU, Drillers, Roughnecks, Athletic, etc.  Same with art shows. Various events. Etc.  You'd think someone would have a list and people would add crap to it.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 04:33:46 pm by cannon_fodder » Logged

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 06:32:42 pm »

I just went to Google and entered "weekend events tulsa ok" and got a whole laundry list of things.

https://www.google.com/search?q=weekend+events+tulsa+ok&oq=we&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i61j69i60l2j69i65l2.1215j0j7&client=ms-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=tlexp&htiq=weekend%20events%20tulsa%20ok
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 06:34:59 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 07:43:37 pm »

I think there's a bot on the tulsa subreddit that collects much of that info.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 08:12:23 pm »

I think there's a bot on the tulsa subreddit that collects much of that info.

I'm the bot
It's posted weekly on Wednesday
https://www.reddit.com/r/tulsa/comments/9j1r9v/whats_happening_around_town_wed_sep_26th_tue_oct/
It aggregates all the event calendars.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 08:56:16 am »

Thanks for doing that. I use it regularly.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 12:34:13 pm »

I'm the bot
https://www.reddit.com/r/tulsa/comments/9j1r9v/whats_happening_around_town_wed_sep_26th_tue_oct/

You're the bot and Google is the spider.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 11:14:50 am by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 10:06:43 am »

I'm the bot

How do you collect the information? I have found it to be rather incomplete when it comes to live local music. #nooffense Smiley
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 11:41:52 am »

Waaaay back when...

We looked it up in Urban Tulsa Weekly.

Does Tulsa World still publish The Scene and do they have an on-line calendar? 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 07:34:22 am »

How do you collect the information? I have found it to be rather incomplete when it comes to live local music. #nooffense Smiley

Nutshell:  by scraping websites
cityspark.com
pollstar.com
ticketmaster.com
thebradyartsdistrict.com
oksportsandfitness.com
exposquare.com
guthriegreen.com
loonybincomedy.com
thesoundpony.com
travelok.com
milb.com  (Drillers)

at some point I'll add npsl.com and uslsoccer.com  (they require using headless chrome to scrape)

I haven't given it any love in quite a while..  a few of the scrapers are in need of repair  Sad

« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 07:37:31 am by BKDotCom » Logged
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 08:15:41 am »

Nutshell:  by scraping websites
cityspark.com
pollstar.com
ticketmaster.com
thebradyartsdistrict.com
oksportsandfitness.com
exposquare.com
guthriegreen.com
loonybincomedy.com
thesoundpony.com
travelok.com
milb.com  (Drillers)

at some point I'll add npsl.com and uslsoccer.com  (they require using headless chrome to scrape)

I haven't given it any love in quite a while..  a few of the scrapers are in need of repair  Sad

Thanks for the info. Can you "scrape" Soul City? https://tulsasoul.com/the-music
Also, Blackbird, Mercury, Shrine, Unit D, Hunt Club, Stumbling Monkey...those are just off the top of my head.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 11:51:51 am »

Thanks for the info. Can you "scrape" Soul City? https://tulsasoul.com/the-music
Also, Blackbird, Mercury, Shrine, Unit D, Hunt Club, Stumbling Monkey...those are just off the top of my head.

👍  No timeline givent
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org