A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:13:45 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NRA in financial trouble?  (Read 12893 times)
Ed W
City Father

« on: August 05, 2018, 08:50:10 am »

There are two salient points in this Rolling Stone piece. First, the NRA can't obtain insurance coverage that may impact day-to-day operations. This stemmed from an illegal insurance policy they offered that covered some illegal acts by policy holders. That, in turn, brought on a New York lawsuit and a hefty fine. Meanwhile, banks are refusing to provide financial services. Second, the organization went over budget by $46 million in 2016. My first thought: What's the going rate for rubles to dollars?

The NRA has a long history of fear mongering as a means to drive up donations and membership, so I take this with a grain of salt. "We may go out of business" could be nothing more than another fund raising ploy.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/nra-financial-trouble-706371/

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 09:11:41 am »

The NRA has a long history of fear mongering as a means to drive up donations and membership, so I take this with a grain of salt. "We may go out of business" could be nothing more than another fund raising ploy.

In the town where I grew up, there was a men's clothing store that went out of business once a year.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 11:23:13 am »

I wouldn't worry, I'm sure they will find enough Rubles to stay in business.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 01:44:46 pm »

In the town where I grew up, there was a men's clothing store that went out of business once a year.

Isn't there a Perisan rug store in Tulsa that's been going out of business for years?

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 01:59:44 pm »

I wouldn't worry, I'm sure they will find enough Rubles to stay in business.

They send out notices similar to that all the time.  I have always thought that Carry Guard insurance was just ridiculous - I ain't ever gonna do that - it did provide some income though.    Oh, well, I guess I will have to send them a couple bucks now just so they can settled down a little bit.   They have been seriously studying the Oral Roberts organization and how that was operated in previous times.   The histrionics and wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth is very much in the OR vein.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 07:36:26 pm »

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/nra-financial-trouble-706371/

One of the main reasons I never joined.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 12:35:03 pm »

One of the main reasons I never joined.

Excuses...  you didn't join because you didn't believe in their mission enough to join.  

I am in a bad position here - I feel the mission is important, and believe in that explicitly.  The problems I have with the NRA have become dramatically highlighted with their latest choice for President - a convicted felon who was the direct causative agent in the massacre of a large number of people in Central America - tens of thousands - including several Priests and Nuns - Oliver North.  This just is the logical extension of the RWRE work to exalt criminal actions of Reagan's regime and turn Oliver North into a "Great American Hero..."  According to the Hannity Slime Machine, anyway.  Intelligent, thinking people don't go along with that.

Even as whacked out as Charleton Heston got in his later years, it was still not as obnoxious as this crap.  At least he wasn't a criminal responsible for the murder of

Sidebar about Iran-Contra;

One event from Newsweek by Frank Wohl, an admirer of the fascists....

According to former Contra leader Edgar Chamorro, CIA trainers also gave Contra soldiers large knives. "A commando knife [was given], and our people, everybody wanted to have a knife like that, to kill people, to cut their throats".  In 1985 Newsweek published a series of photos taken by Frank Wohl, a conservative student admirer traveling with the Contras, entitled "Execution in the Jungle":

"The victim dug his own grave, scooping the dirt out with his hands... He crossed himself. Then a contra executioner knelt and rammed a k-bar knife into his throat. A second enforcer stabbed at his jugular, then his abdomen. When the corpse was finally still, the contras threw dirt over the shallow grave — and walked away."

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 01:40:46 pm »

Excuses...  you didn't join because you didn't believe in their mission enough to join.  

I am in a bad position here - I feel the mission is important, and believe in that explicitly.  The problems I have with the NRA have become dramatically highlighted with their latest choice for President - a convicted felon who was the direct causative agent in the massacre of a large number of people in Central America - tens of thousands - including several Priests and Nuns - Oliver North.  This just is the logical extension of the RWRE work to exalt criminal actions of Reagan's regime and turn Oliver North into a "Great American Hero..."  According to the Hannity Slime Machine, anyway.  Intelligent, thinking people don't go along with that.

Even as whacked out as Charleton Heston got in his later years, it was still not as obnoxious as this crap.  At least he wasn't a criminal responsible for the murder of

Sidebar about Iran-Contra;

One event from Newsweek by Frank Wohl, an admirer of the fascists....

According to former Contra leader Edgar Chamorro, CIA trainers also gave Contra soldiers large knives. "A commando knife [was given], and our people, everybody wanted to have a knife like that, to kill people, to cut their throats".  In 1985 Newsweek published a series of photos taken by Frank Wohl, a conservative student admirer traveling with the Contras, entitled "Execution in the Jungle":

"The victim dug his own grave, scooping the dirt out with his hands... He crossed himself. Then a contra executioner knelt and rammed a k-bar knife into his throat. A second enforcer stabbed at his jugular, then his abdomen. When the corpse was finally still, the contras threw dirt over the shallow grave — and walked away."

The NRA went off the rails in '77.   I was 14 in '77, and already the proud owner (gifted from my father) of more than one firearm.  I joined several hunting and fishing organizations over the years, but always thought the NRA was "just a little too far out there" for me, even back then.   Today it is a shadow of its former self, and not worthy of participation by a rational person.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 01:58:20 pm »

On the subject of gun control advocacy....

http://thefederalist.com/2018/08/13/former-gun-control-candidate-charged-shooting-campaign-treasurer/

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 02:25:44 pm »

Sounds about right - the most rabid anti-gunners are always the most hypocritical.  As in Rosy McDonnell....

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 02:36:15 pm »

The NRA went off the rails in '77.   I was 14 in '77, and already the proud owner (gifted from my father) of more than one firearm.  I joined several hunting and fishing organizations over the years, but always thought the NRA was "just a little too far out there" for me, even back then.   Today it is a shadow of its former self, and not worthy of participation by a rational person.

I have mentioned a couple times around here that the NRA may be a little too far out, but sometimes ya gotta fight crazy with crazy.  And the anti-gunners are even more crazy than NRA.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 09:03:41 pm »

In a new filing against the National Rifle Association, lawyers for (Oklahoma) ad agency Ackerman McQueen suggest that longtime NRA executive Wayne LaPierre is lying about a critical moment in the gun rights group’s recent leadership shake up.

At issue is multi-million-dollar litigation between the NRA and its ex-ad firm. In court filings of its own, the NRA has alleged that Oliver North, the groups's former president, was ousted in part because he withheld information from the NRA about payments he took from Ackerman McQueen, which had served as the gun rights group’s primary ad contractor until just months ago. The NRA claims North kept the nature of his deal with Ackerman McQueen a secret from LaPierre and the gun group’s leadership.

But in a July 16 filing that was reviewed by The Daily Beast, Ackerman McQueen alleges that LaPierre himself helped negotiate the deal between their firm and North. And they hint that they have documentation to prove it.

Ackerman McQueen had been a central force behind the NRA’s evolution from a gun rights group to a conservative cultural institution. As part of that mission, the ad firm helped launch and manage NRATV, the NRA’s recently shuttered internet-video arm.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/ex-nra-ad-firm-ackerman-mcqueen-um-wayne-lapierre-is-lying

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/19/business/media/angus-mcqueen-dead.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2019, 12:17:27 pm »

The chief executive of the National Rifle Association sought to have the nonprofit buy him a luxury mansion last year after a mass shooting at a Florida high school, selecting a French country-style estate in a gated Dallas-area golf club, according to multiple people familiar with the discussions.

The discussions about the estate, which was not ultimately purchased, are now under scrutiny by New York investigators. The transaction was slated to be made through a corporate entity that received a $70,000 wire from the NRA in 2018, according to the people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation.

The entity was created at LaPierre’s request by a law firm working for the NRA’s longtime ad firm, Ackerman McQueen.

In a statement late Tuesday night, Ackerman McQueen said LaPierre had sought the ad firm’s assistance with the real estate transaction, a proposal it said alarmed company officials. “Actions in this regard led to Ackerman McQueen’s loss of faith in Mr. LaPierre’s decision-making,” the firm said.

For their part, NRA officials said that the real estate purchase was suggested in early 2018 by Ackerman McQueen as an investment that would be managed by the ad firm’s top executives — and that it was ultimately rejected by top NRA leaders.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/documents-show-nra-discussions-to-purchase-luxury-mansion-for-use-of-its-chief-executive/2019/08/06/eb8b0490-b7ce-11e9-b3b4-2bb69e8c4e39_story.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2019, 11:11:43 am »

LaPierre should have been shitcanned by the NRA board years ago.  Why they keep him on is a total mystery to me and he's one of the reasons I am not a card-carrying member even though I'm a strong 2A advocate.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2019, 04:34:07 pm »

LaPierre should have been shitcanned by the NRA board years ago.  Why they keep him on is a total mystery to me and he's one of the reasons I am not a card-carrying member even though I'm a strong 2A advocate.

2A advocate here as well and I mirror your sentiments if not for a little different reason.  I could give two squirts of pee about LaPierre; my problem with the NRA is that it *used* to be an organization that taught safety and how to properly operate firearms.  They've turned into a super pac now advocating for gun manufacturers.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org