A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:35:52 am
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Planned 128-acre social/healthy-living neighborhood in Osage Hills (NW Tulsa)  (Read 18170 times)
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2020, 10:26:22 pm »

^ That is a different planned neighborhood called Northwest Passage at Apache & Gilcrease Museum Rd.  This thread is about Evolving Communities on W Edison

You're right... I honestly confused these two as the same thing. Both somewhat same areas and the drawings didn't look much different. If Northwest Passage and this development both are trying to build charter schools I can see why TPS might have some issues with this. Between both developers why not just partner with the city and build a new elementary and middle school between the two? BTW is the high school in this part of town which is a pretty great school.

Even though I'm not a big fan of sprawl, I'd love to see this part of town develop with a few communities like this and help balance out some of the growth south and east, make downtown a little more 'central'. I'm a big fan of the village concept and it's far better than typical suburban neighborhoods.
Dspike
Activist

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2020, 08:41:58 am »

BTW is not a neighborhood school, it is only by admission.

Both of these projects would be in Central High School's geographic boundary: https://resources.finalsite.net/images/v1580190149/tulsaschoolsorg/cdsidxgc5zocx8lnipgm/HighSchoolMap.pdf

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2020, 08:53:26 am »

Phase 1 of the Northwest Passage is already half-built just north of Gilcrease Museum Rd & Apache.  It is your typical sprawling subdivision.  The area you referenced that is being designed by PDG is the "town center" portion of the development and includes the school and restaurants/retail surrounded by higher density residential including apartments and townhomes.  This is located at Apache & Osage Dr.  Hopefully the eastern portion is more dense or this will be just like new residential developments in south Tulsa.  

I have more hope that the Edison Crossing/Evolving Communities neighborhood will be more tied to New Urbanist principles and that newer developments in that area will mimic it.  That tends to happen with these types of developments in other cities.  

Once the new bridge is completed the area around W 41st & Edison will have direct access to I-44 and also is a 5 min drive from downtown on Edison.  If they can figure out the schools there could be a lot of future growth there.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 08:57:15 am by SXSW » Logged

Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2020, 09:12:59 am »

Phase 1 of the Northwest Passage is already half-built just north of Gilcrease Museum Rd & Apache.  It is your typical sprawling subdivision.  The area you referenced that is being designed by PDG is the "town center" portion of the development and includes the school and restaurants/retail surrounded by higher density residential including apartments and townhomes.  This is located at Apache & Osage Dr.  Hopefully the eastern portion is more dense or this will be just like new residential developments in south Tulsa.  

Northwest Passage apparently started in 2005 and it appears they have sold about 28 of their 91 lots.

https://www.newson6.com/story/5e368b412f69d76f620a2369/tulsas-northwest-passage

https://taracustomhomes.net/northwest-passage-new-neighborhood-osage-hills-ok/

Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2020, 09:28:57 am »

Here's some more info from early this year.  He makes it sound as if starting construction was totally dependent on obtaining approval of the charter school (which apparently didn't happen).

https://ktul.com/news/local/local-developer-hoping-to-open-new-charter-school-housing-development-in-west-tulsa

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/education/state-board-issues-final-rejection-to-proposed-new-charter-school-in-tulsa/article_19d96d0a-240a-53c6-8036-3a6214af4c2d.html

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2020, 10:05:58 am »

Here's some more info from early this year.  He makes it sound as if starting construction was totally dependent on obtaining approval of the charter school (which apparently didn't happen).

https://ktul.com/news/local/local-developer-hoping-to-open-new-charter-school-housing-development-in-west-tulsa

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/education/state-board-issues-final-rejection-to-proposed-new-charter-school-in-tulsa/article_19d96d0a-240a-53c6-8036-3a6214af4c2d.html

That's what I thought, sounds like they need to partner with TPS to build a new school.  Interestingly Wheeler Park in OKC did get a charter school built as part of their New Urbanist infill community, maybe they just knew the right people in high places?  That project is being developed by the well-connected Humphreys family who is also developing Carlton Landing on Lake Eufaula.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 10:22:28 am by SXSW » Logged

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2020, 11:37:24 pm »

Curious, as someone who lived in two planned communities with an education element in suburban Tulsa how does this compare or contrast?

I owned one home in Sungate between 51st & 61st, Sheridan & Memorial.  We had Salk and Bird schools as the focal element in the center of the neighborhood with wide open recreational fields.  We also had a community pool.  The neighborhood was noted at the time as being the first in Tulsa for entirely underground utilities.  It also had sidewalks throughout. Tulsa was big on sidewalks until the late 1940's to 1950's when some new developments did not have sidewalks or minimal sidewalks, then they went back to that with some developments in the 1960's. Which is an interesting segue into the other planned community I lived in: Lortondale.

Lortondale had Hoover Elementary as a focal point along with large recreational fields.  We had a park five or six blocks south of there and two community pools within the square mile.  Lortondale was noted for it's distinct midcentury design as well as one of the first planned communities in the country to have central heat and air, duct in slab ventilation, as well as an automatic dishwasher as standard features in all the homes.

Just curious if this is something along those same lines, we just haven't seen that kind of development in a few decades so it seems really innovative.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org