A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:48:30 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Planned 128-acre social/healthy-living neighborhood in Osage Hills (NW Tulsa)  (Read 18172 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2018, 02:35:15 pm »

So Blake was listening here to all the architecture rants I have been making about alleys, back of property access, no garage in front of house, etc.

Its also an opportunity to design a streetlighting system that actually benefits the residents needs rather than the utility company.

Shielded, glare-free no-nuisance light at moderate levels, warmer colors (as opposed to vision-wrecking blue-rich light).

...or even no street lighting at all (being a rural setting).  People are surprised to find out that the City of Tulsa does not actually require street lighting.
In fact courts have held that municipalities take on more liability with streelights than without.

Conversely, well thought out lighting can encourage more utilization in common areas.   Think beyond the salesperson.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2018, 09:11:17 am »

I am hopeful for this type of development. They have also been discussing conservation easements on parts of the development with me for some time.

Power is nothing till you use it.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2018, 09:20:27 am »

I am hopeful for this type of development. They have also been discussing conservation easements on parts of the development with me for some time.

This has potential to be one of the best developments done in decades...!   I am optimistic and enthusiastic !

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2018, 12:46:44 pm »

Human beings are not the only ones adversely affected by bad streetlighting decisions.  Look at the rebuilt section of Riverside Drive for an example.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 12:49:46 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2018, 09:18:57 pm »

"Welcome to Stepford!"

Come on, someone had to...

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2018, 09:41:21 am »

I created a new topic on the plan-it  board about Blue Zones Project which aims to make healthy living more convenient/accessible and sounds pretty relevant to this development:

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=21706.new#new

The sum up the entire projects with 9 healthy habits of some exceptionally healthy long-living communities around the world:
https://www.bluezones.com/2016/11/power-9/

Interesting concepts but seems like the majority of what is required which cities can control can be summed up with "walkability" (and the interconnected-society which usually results from that). If you can't get that, at least have lots of parks nearby along with places you can walk or bicycle to (preferably easier to walk/bicycle to than drive). For Tulsa, living in downtown which has a bunch of parks and is already easier and faster to bicycle from point to point than to drive (hooray!). Midtown has neighborhoods that meet some of the guidelines like Maple Ridge, Swan Lake, Renaissance and Florence Park all have several neighborhood/bordering/interconnected parks.

It also lists having a purpose, regularly attending any sort of religious services (tied in to having purpose and staying connected), drinking 1-2 glasses of alcohol regularly, and eating lot of plants as important factors that add lifespan.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2018, 10:50:17 am »

"Welcome to Stepford!"

Come on, someone had to...

Lol.... could be a little of that go on...  might not be all bad..?? 

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2018, 01:47:17 pm »

Some early renderings I found, looks pretty nice!

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2018, 09:03:28 pm »

Construction is slated to begin next year.  I’m excited this New Urbanist neighborhood option is going to be available in Tulsa.  I do think getting the charter school set up will be integral to their success in attracting families. 

http://www.newson6.com/story/39380122/developer-working-on-plans-for-tulsa-neighborhood-unlike-any-other

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2020, 02:49:28 pm »

Curious if anyone has any more info on this planned community near 41st W Ave & Edison?  I know they have been actively trying to get a charter elem. school built just north of the Calvary Temple Church on Edison which would be the cornerstone of the neighborhood.  

Wonder if they're waiting for the Gilcrease Expwy bridge to be completed?

« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 02:51:08 pm by SXSW » Logged

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2020, 02:15:40 pm »

From what I've heard is this is still in motion, just progressing slowly. There's also a new urbanism community planned somewhere in Broken Arrow too that's in planning stages.. just not sure of location or who the developer is on it.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2020, 08:43:02 am »

From what I've heard is this is still in motion, just progressing slowly. There's also a new urbanism community planned somewhere in Broken Arrow too that's in planning stages.. just not sure of location or who the developer is on it.

My understanding is that the development moving forward hinges upon getting a charter school built next to it, and that TPS has vehemently opposed that.  The State Board of Education voted down the sponsorship of the charter school back in May.  https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/education/state-board-issues-final-rejection-to-proposed-new-charter-school-in-tulsa/article_19d96d0a-240a-53c6-8036-3a6214af4c2d.html  Not sure what their next recourse is, if they will try to reapply or not.  Not sure why they wouldn't want to just work with TPS on getting a new school built? 

For those unaware this same scenario has played out twice in OKC.  There is a downtown charter elem. school and a similar school at the center of a New Urbanist community called Wheeler Park.  Both have been accused of being drivers of gentrification and not adequately serving the lower-income students in the surrounding neighborhoods.

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2020, 06:04:23 pm »

My understanding is that the development moving forward hinges upon getting a charter school built next to it, and that TPS has vehemently opposed that.  The State Board of Education voted down the sponsorship of the charter school back in May.  https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/education/state-board-issues-final-rejection-to-proposed-new-charter-school-in-tulsa/article_19d96d0a-240a-53c6-8036-3a6214af4c2d.html  Not sure what their next recourse is, if they will try to reapply or not.  Not sure why they wouldn't want to just work with TPS on getting a new school built? 

For those unaware this same scenario has played out twice in OKC.  There is a downtown charter elem. school and a similar school at the center of a New Urbanist community called Wheeler Park.  Both have been accused of being drivers of gentrification and not adequately serving the lower-income students in the surrounding neighborhoods.

I don't really get why they'd feel that a charter school is that important.. I'd prefer they just built a new Tulsa public elementary school instead of going the charter school route or work with the city to do some sort of TIF district or BID that'd allow them to reinvest and rebuild schools like Academy Central that residents would be going to.
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2020, 06:11:51 pm »

Something interesting about this I didn't know, looks like the Walton Foundation is a partner in the development. Tulsa Met Cares is the other partner. I'm surprised that the Walton Foundation would be involved with this... anyone have any background on that?

http://planningdesigngroup.com/projects/community-planning-2/northwest-passage-community-master-plan/

This appears to be Phase I

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2020, 08:00:17 pm »

^ That is a different planned neighborhood called Northwest Passage at Apache & Gilcrease Museum Rd.  This thread is about Evolving Communities on W Edison

« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 08:01:49 pm by SXSW » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org