A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:55:17 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NFL Protests  (Read 24302 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2018, 09:13:24 am »

I want a wraith to release!!

I keep asking, but never get a coherent answer...  exactly when was it that America was great and exactly for whom??    We were headed that way when we went to the moon...but that was a long time ago.

Think 'The Newsroom'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTjMqda19wk

One of my favorite shows.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2018, 09:45:22 am »

I keep asking, but never get a coherent answer...  exactly when was it that America was great and exactly for whom??    We were headed that way when we went to the moon...but that was a long time ago.

Being too literal.  "America" doesnt mean America.

Knowing well ahead of time the Eagles were not coming to the White House, Princess Trump tried to publicly shame them with a dis-invite to create the illusion he was in control, but it was always a party for himself.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2018, 09:56:35 am »

Funny this is from the same publication. I guess they are trying to be fair and balanced.

Inside Trump’s snub of the Philadelphia Eagles https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/05/trump-philly-eagles-snub-624838
NFL players rip into Trump after he disinvited Eagles from the White House https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/05/trump-nfl-eagles-national-anthem-624179

The headline on the first one is slightly misleading. It paints a picture that while Trump's response was stupid, cancelling it was essentially the only call to make at that point.

But on Monday, the White House was informed that the delegation had been reduced to just two or three players, the owner, and the team's beloved mascot, Swoop.

This was before the cancellation announcement made by Trump & co., and less than a week after they were informed 81 would be attending. You as well as I know exactly what would happen if three players showed up. They already tried it with the Patriots from the year before to make Trump look bad only to be called out for the obvious hackery of the photo manipulation. The Eagles were/are playing politics just as fast and hard as Trump is, don't be fooled. I'm honestly surprised the owner was on the list of half a dozen planned attendees.

I would have cancelled it to if in the same position. Except I obviously would have done it with a bit different approach.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2018, 12:12:49 pm »

Funny this is from the same publication. I guess they are trying to be fair and balanced.

Inside Trump’s snub of the Philadelphia Eagles https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/05/trump-philly-eagles-snub-624838
NFL players rip into Trump after he disinvited Eagles from the White House https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/05/trump-nfl-eagles-national-anthem-624179

The headline on the first one is slightly misleading. It paints a picture that while Trump's response was stupid, cancelling it was essentially the only call to make at that point.

This was before the cancellation announcement made by Trump & co., and less than a week after they were informed 81 would be attending. You as well as I know exactly what would happen if three players showed up. They already tried it with the Patriots from the year before to make Trump look bad only to be called out for the obvious hackery of the photo manipulation. The Eagles were/are playing politics just as fast and hard as Trump is, don't be fooled. I'm honestly surprised the owner was on the list of half a dozen planned attendees.

I would have cancelled it to if in the same position. Except I obviously would have done it with a bit different approach.

Spin, spin, spin....

Trump has attacked the entire NFL - even implicating the Eagles in spite of the facts.  As usual.  It is no wonder the players had no interest in going to that crock of carp.  As for saying they were sending 81 people, well that was Sarah's flat out lie.   Until she shows the letter, then it's just what she always does - tries to put it back on someone else by lying.  Just like her Daddy and Trump.

As one of the Panther's players said - it was a cowardly act.  As always expected from Trump.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2018, 01:20:07 pm »

Spin, spin, spin....

Trump has attacked the entire NFL - even implicating the Eagles in spite of the facts.  As usual.  It is no wonder the players had no interest in going to that crock of carp.  As for saying they were sending 81 people, well that was Sarah's flat out lie.   Until she shows the letter, then it's just what she always does - tries to put it back on someone else by lying.  Just like her Daddy and Trump.

As one of the Panther's players said - it was a cowardly act.  As always expected from Trump.

Exactly the response I expected from you. Thank you. Your assertions are just supposition.

Take this article from a few months ago asserting that the Eagles were planning on attending. Jenkins even comments on going to D.C. but not the Rose Garden. Hard to fathom that they weren't at some point making their intention clear that more than 6 people would be attending.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/17/sports/philadelphia-eagles-white-house-visit.html

But you go on with your Trump is bad anyone that opposes him is a saint mindset. That will really take as all to some great places.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2018, 01:26:16 pm »

Exactly the response I expected from you. Thank you. Your assertions are just supposition.

Take this article from a few months ago asserting that the Eagles were planning on attending. Jenkins even comments on going to D.C. but not the Rose Garden. Hard to fathom that they weren't at some point making their intention clear that more than 6 people would be attending.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/17/sports/philadelphia-eagles-white-house-visit.html

But you go on with your Trump is bad anyone that opposes him is a saint mindset. That will really take as all to some great places.

But Trump is bad. He is unfit for office and should not be president.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2018, 01:47:05 pm »

He's got about 40 percent of the voter base duped into thinking he is.  You could disagree with a President's politics, his policies (foreign and domestic), but this guy...how many here would be comfortable using him as a role model for how to act for your children?  I'm sure 40 percent would, and that for sure is a sad state of affairs and why we are no longer the greatest country in the world (and haven't been for some time, Trump has just brought more of it to light).

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2018, 02:16:45 pm »

He's got about 40 percent of the voter base duped into thinking he is.  You could disagree with a President's politics, his policies (foreign and domestic), but this guy...how many here would be comfortable using him as a role model for how to act for your children?  I'm sure 40 percent would, and that for sure is a sad state of affairs and why we are no longer the greatest country in the world (and haven't been for some time, Trump has just brought more of it to light).

Wait, wait, wait. I thought 20 years ago we were not supposed to be looking at Presidents and athletes as role models. At least that's what they were thumping then, when their guy was caught diddling the maid (intern) in the people's house.

What policy wise has really been some sort of signal that we are such a sad sack. I'll spot you the tariffs. Anything beyond that?

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2018, 02:18:10 pm »

Trump bad =/ opposition good.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2018, 02:27:16 pm »

An athlete that doesn't have their head stuck in the sand.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2018/06/05/kevin-durant-steph-curry-steve-kerr-president-trump-white-house/673794002/

“What else do you expect Trump to do?” said Warriors star Kevin Durant, whose team is up 2-0 over Cleveland in the NBA Finals with Game 3 at Quicken Loans Arena on Wednesday. “When somebody says they don't want to come to the White House, he disinvites them so the photo op don't look bad. We get it at this point. It's good that guys are sticking to what they believe in and what they want to do. Like guys said before me, I'm sure whoever wins this series won't be going.”

In other words if you telegraph that you wouldn't accept an invitation, don't then be pissed you don't get invited.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 02:28:49 pm by erfalf » Logged

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2018, 02:35:12 pm »

I would not have canceled it.  Sure, the Eagles fans and others in attendance would have loved to see the entire team, but being at a party at the White House with a few of your beloved Eagles, their owner, and the mascot is still pretty awesome. The President could have just said:

It's too bad so many players didn't want to come here. This isn't  about me or politics.  This is the White House, and we are here today to honor the Philadelphia Eagles for winning the Super Bowl, a Great American tradition.  We can get back to politics in about an hour. [[pause for laughter]

Instead he went for the "win" and came out looking like a petty jackass.  Then held a sad and odd event for the team after uninviting the team.  Just so awkward. I don't think anyone bought the "I'm doing this for Patriotism" line.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2018, 02:37:03 pm »

Wait, wait, wait. I thought 20 years ago we were not supposed to be looking at Presidents and athletes as role models. At least that's what they were thumping then, when their guy was caught diddling the maid (intern) in the people's house.

What policy wise has really been some sort of signal that we are such a sad sack. I'll spot you the tariffs. Anything beyond that?

How about the insane corporate tax cuts?  You know, the ones that have caused all the stock buy-backs by and for one percenters?

How about his HORRIBLE record on cabinet picks i.e. Pruitt?  How's that swamp-draining going?

How about the fact that many of his EOs have been struck down by federal judges.  I know Obama had one or two, but that was in his whole eight years.  Trump wasn't even out of his first year and there were three to my recollection.

And I never defended Slick Willie when he got caught.  His impeachment was the right thing to do.  Presidents, in my opinion, should still be held to a higher standard than the rest of the general citizenhood of the country.  That YOU don't think that it should (or at least that you made this reference) tells me that you do carry water for this President despite your statements to the contrary.  If he does something good that I like, I'll let you know.  Sure, the tax cuts passed have given me a little extra money on my paycheck.  But how much of that will go down the drain with this stupid "trade war" that the Commander in Cheese (search that, it's not a typo, happened early today) is telling everyone "trade wars can be good".

Tell that to pork farmers.  They will be the ones screwed over.  And others.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2018, 02:38:02 pm »

I would not have canceled it.  Sure, the Eagles fans and others in attendance would have loved to see the entire team, but being at a party at the White House with a few of your beloved Eagles, their owner, and the mascot is still pretty awesome. The President could have just said:

Instead he went for the "win" and came out looking like a petty jackass.  Then held a sad and odd event for the team after uninviting the team.  Just so awkward. I don't think anyone bought the "I'm doing this for Patriotism" line.

And then he didn't appear to even know the words to a song nearly every first grader learns by heart.

https://wokesloth.com/watch-donald-trump-try-fail-remember-words-god-bless-america-patriotism-party/distributor/

rebound
City Father

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2018, 02:42:32 pm »

But that would require nuance, and Trump can't even spell the word, much less use it.   All his actions are done from a bullying and petulant position.   That's my distinction between him and other Presidents.  I can disagree or not on policy, but none of the prior Presidents have acted in the manner he has.   

rebound
City Father

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2018, 02:44:31 pm »

And then he didn't appear to even know the words to a song nearly every first grader learns by heart.

https://wokesloth.com/watch-donald-trump-try-fail-remember-words-god-bless-america-patriotism-party/distributor/

On a related note.  Just once, I'd like to hear This Land is Your Land, instead of God Bless America...

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org