A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:17:44 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NFL Protests  (Read 24306 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: June 05, 2018, 09:25:08 am »

The Fox News clip shown Tuesday morning discussing President Donald Trump canceling the Eagles’ trip to the White House included a number of images of players kneeling.

The only problem? Those players were all kneeling in prayer before games.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/05/fox-news-shows-eagles-players-kneeling-to-pray-not-protest/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 09:30:00 am »

The Fox News clip shown Tuesday morning discussing President Donald Trump canceling the Eagles’ trip to the White House included a number of images of players kneeling.

The only problem? Those players were all kneeling in prayer before games.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/05/fox-news-shows-eagles-players-kneeling-to-pray-not-protest/

Further, no Eagles players ever took the knee during the anthem during the season
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 10:01:39 am »

Further, no Eagles players ever took the knee during the anthem during the season

Technically Ron Brooks did during a pre-season game. He was later cut from the team (not for kneeling). Malcolm Jenkins has been the voice of the team in this regard, and he was smart to avoid knelling because he knew it was a distraction. He understands that while the kneel is not meant to be insulting, it basically will still insult people regardless. I appreciate people like him for understanding the realities of what is going on, instead of just plowing along like you can do no wrong because your cause is just. He understands that to build a large group to fight the problem, you have to be inviting, not incredulous.

And what's the big deal anyway. I thought a good chunk of the team wasn't going anyway. I know for sure Long & Jenkins said publicly they would not attend. I figure odds are a bunch more felt the same way, and in Trump fashion, he had to make it look like it was his idea and not theirs.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 10:08:01 am »

On the other hand, the organization released a statement about this being an opportunity for dialogue with the President, the owner apparently isn't a Trump loyalist, and some players were planning on skipping it:

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/04/23/eagles-issue-interesting-statement-on-potential-white-house-visit/23418430/
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/05/eagles-players-boycotting-white-house-visit-list
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/23/sports/philadelphia-eagles-white-house-trump.html?smid=tw-nytsports&smtyp=cur&mtrref=t.co&gwh=2923495A2BDD9CA9AADB52ED0E4AD9DB&gwt=pay
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/philadelphia-eagles-players-planning-skip-white-house-visit/story?id=52846093

So obviously, the only thing to do is revoke the invitation the day before.  They can't skip your birthday party if you tweet that they are no longer invited anyway!  Haha!  Losers.

Trump previously uninvited Stephen Curry after he said wasn't going to go anyway (at which point Golden State rejected the invitation) - no "patriotism" angle there.  North Carolina couldn't find the time to go to the White House.  It's fairly obvious here that the Eagles were uninvited because the event might have resulted in Trump's ego being bruise.  

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 10:30:06 am »

Fox News apologized Tuesday after receiving a torrent of criticism over the network's use of photos of various players for the Philadelphia Eagles kneeling in prayer, creating the misleading impression that they were demonstrating during the national anthem.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/05/media/fox-news-philadelphia-eagles-kneeling/index.html
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 10:46:56 am »

It is the sick and twisted world that IS Fake Fox News.   Remember, these are the guys working with Trump and all his lies.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 02:23:05 pm »

I know for sure Long & Jenkins said publicly they would not attend. I figure odds are a bunch more felt the same way, and in Trump fashion, he had to make it look like it was his idea and not theirs.

I for one am elated that such a thin-skinned, weak, incurious, reactionary person has access to nuclear codes.

Trump doesn't care if the report is true or not. His cult loves it and he has suffered no consequences for lying. That is why I feel it is pointless for the media to cover it. Focus on the corruption of the Trump campaign, and how his Russia-First polices will have a negative impact on their $$$.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 02:27:40 pm by hello » Logged

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 02:53:44 pm »

And what's the big deal anyway. I thought a good chunk of the team wasn't going anyway. I know for sure Long & Jenkins said publicly they would not attend. I figure odds are a bunch more felt the same way, and in Trump fashion, he had to make it look like it was his idea and not theirs.

The big deal is that the President of the United States is so petty, and his ego so fragile, that he has to uninvite a sportsball team because they hurt his feelings or might make him look bad. That's a very dangerous level of pettiness and disregard for someone with the power and responsibility of President. I read d that the Cavs and Cleveland have come out and said they don't want an invite, should either win.  So I expect them to be uninvited soon.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 03:47:51 pm »

The big deal is that the President of the United States is so petty, and his ego so fragile, that he has to uninvite a sportsball team because they hurt his feelings or might make him look bad. That's a very dangerous level of pettiness and disregard for someone with the power and responsibility of President. I read d that the Cavs and Cleveland have come out and said they don't want an invite, should either win.  So I expect them to be uninvited soon.

Hmm..projecting?

Smiley  J/K.  I'm guessing you meant to refer to Golden State also; we know how Steve Kerr rolls.  Boring NBA finals.  Same two teams in the finals four seasons in a row.  What a snoozer.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 03:57:12 pm »

L.O.L....^^^ C.j.C in full effect....!!!!

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 06:06:11 pm »

Epic.

https://screengrabber.deadspin.com/trump-unable-to-remember-words-to-god-bless-america-a-1826578677
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 06:37:37 pm »

All this smile happening to him would have been a travesty under the previous President.  I mean, he got excoriated for wearing a TAN SUIT FFS.

The dumbing down of 'murica.  Gotta love it (not really).

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 07:27:41 am »

Sure. But remember, 1/3rd of the country only cares about the appearance of Patriotism. Insist that the song be sung, whether you know the words to it and sign along isn't important.  Insist that everyone "respect the flag and national anthem," if you care at all about what they are supposed to stand for is secondary.  Give lip service to the men and women of our armed forces, actually using them in a responsible way or taking care of them when they get back is an afterthought. Wear that flag pin, smile on the 4th of July, go to the right place and do the right things for the patriotic holidays,say God Bless america at the end of every speech. Demand others show their patriotism or face your wraith!

But don't you dare talk about improving the country. That implies we have faults. So help me George Washington, if you start discussing the flaws, past or present, we're gonna have issues.  Make America Great Again but pretending everything is fine.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2018, 07:33:25 am »

All this smile happening to him would have been a travesty under the previous President.  I mean, he got excoriated for wearing a TAN SUIT FFS.

The dumbing down of 'murica.  Gotta love it (not really).

Look at the example right before swakes post and after yours - that is what has happened.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2018, 07:41:57 am »

Sure. But remember, 1/3rd of the country only cares about the appearance of Patriotism. Insist that the song be sung, whether you know the words to it and sign along isn't important.  Insist that everyone "respect the flag and national anthem," if you care at all about what they are supposed to stand for is secondary.  Give lip service to the men and women of our armed forces, actually using them in a responsible way or taking care of them when they get back is an afterthought. Wear that flag pin, smile on the 4th of July, go to the right place and do the right things for the patriotic holidays,say God Bless america at the end of every speech. Demand others show their patriotism or face your wraith!

But don't you dare talk about improving the country. That implies we have faults. So help me George Washington, if you start discussing the flaws, past or present, we're gonna have issues.  Make America Great Again but pretending everything is fine.

I want a wraith to release!!

I keep asking, but never get a coherent answer...  exactly when was it that America was great and exactly for whom??    We were headed that way when we went to the moon...but that was a long time ago.

Think 'The Newsroom'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTjMqda19wk

« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 07:43:34 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org