A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:11:34 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Route 66 Neon  (Read 10460 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: May 24, 2018, 11:23:45 pm »

...is a good idea, if its implemented thoughtfully and in moderation.

It’s now up to the Tulsa City Council to approve a special zoning code overlay for Route 66.
If approved, the zoning code amendment would allow new signs that are at least 25 percent neon to be up to 50 percent larger than currently allowed by sign regulations. The relaxed regulations won’t apply to dynamic displays, typically LED or video boards capable of showing constant animation.
"So, if someone wants to outline a dynamic display in neon and then blow it up to the size of a Jumbotron, that’s not going to be applicable," said INCOG Land Development Planner Nathan Foster.

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/tulsa-city-council-takes-plan-encourage-route-66-neon

Neon is a big part of our Route 66 identity, and while it could be Vegas-tacky it for the most part hasnt been in the past here nor does it need to be in the future.
Some of us are old enough to remember the Weather Teller on what was then the tallest building in the state; a brassy Neon/Argon beacon that was controlled by meteorologists from Lookout Mountain via a rotary phone dial on a leased line.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/news/throwbacktulsa/throwback-tulsa-weather-teller-beamed-color-coded-forecast-over-downtown/article_ebd67a9d-66ea-5706-a82e-0840748ad151.html
The effect has been somewhat resurrected today with LED floodlights but it has little more charm now than any other LED billboard.

While there are currently zoning regulations covering outdoor lighting and LED billboards, they have not been consistently enforced because of disagreements inspectors have with ordinance language (...at least that is the explanation I have been given explaining why filed complaints have been closed without action). 

Reasonable limits on intensity, changes in intensity and residential trespass are old-school by now, to the point where we can borrow regulatory language from communities that have already test-driven them.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 04:40:04 am »

Hopefully they add some speed humps so people will slow down and fully appreciate it...

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 01:08:33 pm »

Neon is good!

I was surprised they would vote to do something interesting for a change...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 10:51:11 pm »

Tulsa developer remembers Route 66 the way it used to be and is bringing it back

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/downtown/michael-overall-tulsa-developer-remembers-route-the-way-it-used/article_74945e65-ebb6-51c5-9e53-2c8e98dd8ffc.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 05:19:20 pm »

The City of Tulsa and the Route 66 Commission encourage installation of exterior signage containing not less than 25 percent neon or alternative LED lighting within the Route 66 Overlay District to stimulate the pedestrian realm and to enhance the tourist experience.
https://www.cityoftulsa.org/neongrant

Neon OR LED?   ....and only 25% ? 

Does this sound like what was promoted or is it just bait-and-switch?  It was supposed to be about neon because of it's uniqueness and historical value, but now the city is about to subsidize TV on a stick?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org