A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:19:50 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nola's Creole & Cocktails  (Read 14062 times)
Tulsa Zephyr
Activist

« on: May 04, 2018, 08:53:47 am »

Location(s) being reviewed: Nola's Creole & Cocktails http://nolastulsa.com
Date/Time of Visit: Saturday 1:30pm
Quality of Food (1-5): 4+
Menu/Food Options: 5
Quality of Service: 5
Atmosphere: 5
Overall Rating: 5
Price : $$-$$$
What makes this restaurant unique:  Same owner as Kilkenny's.  Quality atmosphere, food, service

Beautiful facility, beautiful bar, "French Quarter" dining area has a lot of glass and nice view of downtown.  Inside dining area has a nice comfortable, cozy feel.  Menu has many choices and very reasonable prices.  I had the GA LEE Chicken (blackened) off the Grillades section of the menu.  It comes with two sides for $10.  I substituted a cup of gumbo ($4) for one of the sides.  My Ms. had the Red Snapper $16 with two sides (cheese grits, cole slaw).  She had a Hurricane.  I had Abita Amber draught.  There is a nice cocktail, wine and beer menu.  They also serve Stubborn Sodas and Topeca coffee.  Servers were on top of their game.  There were some mixed reviews on Trip Advisor which seem to be start-up issues (opened April 16).  
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 10:43:39 am by Tulsa Zephyr » Logged

"My ambition is handicapped by laziness."  Charles Bukowski
TeeDub
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 09:39:56 am »

I had a coworker raving about the food earlier this week.   He wasn't super impressed with their $10+ cocktails, but....
TylerBGoode
Activist

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 01:34:22 pm »

I had a coworker raving about the food earlier this week.   He wasn't super impressed with their $10+ cocktails, but....

That's pretty par for the course now days.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 01:52:35 pm »

We went there and tried the gin fizz (spoiler alert: Not nearly as good the ones they serve at Bourbon Orleans Hotel, but still a good drink)... it was a very large cocktail! It was almost a full pint and strong! So it's $11, but the caveat is they are huge drinks so it's really about the same as anywhere else, just NOLA style in that you're getting buzzed off of "just 1 drink".
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 02:00:40 pm »

My review would be about the same as yours:

Quality of Food (1-5): 5+
Menu/Food Options: 4
Quality of Service: 5
Atmosphere: 5
Overall Rating: 5
Price : $$-$$$

It makes sense the kilkennies owner founded this because when I first went, I said this is like the New Orleans version of Kilkennies! It is done up so well to create a very authentic-pub/speakeasy vibe. It feels like you could be in an early 1900s bar in New Orleans. The way it is split up feels like it's several cafes/bars put into one, but still harmonious with good flow to the layout. It's an almost dreamy/surreal atmosphere. Great place for any meal and especially great place to have a few drinks and sit warmly in the soft ambient glow.

The food was even better the 2nd time we went (po boy was a little dry the first time). The po boys are awesome. The cajun pie is interesting, rich and delicious. The crab cakes were maybe better than any we had in Baltimore (and we feasted on those at all sorts of places there).
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 08:01:48 am »

Place is nice...Food was great...A bit loud...

Tulsa Zephyr
Activist

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 11:02:12 am »

Had a meal in the "French Quarter" room the first visit (excellent meal/service/view).  Yesterday we decided to check out the beautiful bar.  Well stocked, two smaller flat screens (one with a Corn Hole tournament on), good music, but it was kinda loud, mainly due to one guy at the end of the bar bragging to the couple sitting next to him about his travels abroad, but loud enough, everybody had to raise their voices to have a conversation.  Thankfully he left shortly after we arrived.  My wife started with a Hurricane ($10) and I had the Marshall-brewed NOLA French Ale ($6).  She ordered Oysters Rockefeller ($15) and said they were delicious.  I had a bowl of Ju Ju Jambalaya ($9) which was perfect spice-wise and taste-wise.  I switched to an Abita Amber draft ($6) and my wife went with a "Death in the Afternoon" which is on the menu, but the bartender didn't know how to make until she taught him ($10).  We met a nice couple at the bar and it's a pretty relaxed atmosphere though a little loud when crowded.  We really like this place but there are some quirks.  The entrance is up the steps on the West side where you're greeted by a hostess and then down steps to the restaurant.  However you can exit street level from the "French Quarter" room.  I know new customers get confused and try to enter the street level doors which don't open from the outside.

"My ambition is handicapped by laziness."  Charles Bukowski
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 02:01:56 pm »

We went there and tried the gin fizz (spoiler alert: Not nearly as good the ones they serve at Bourbon Orleans Hotel, but still a good drink)... it was a very large cocktail! It was almost a full pint and strong! So it's $11, but the caveat is they are huge drinks so it's really about the same as anywhere else, just NOLA style in that you're getting buzzed off of "just 1 drink".

If you like the gin fizz at the Bourbon Orleans hotel, try the Ramos Gin Fizz at Valkyrie sometime. I found it to be superior to the one at the Bourbon Orleans.  Next time you're down in New Orleans, give 21 Amendment a try. Good drinks and almost always a jazz band playing.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 02:35:11 pm »

Are they going to expand out on to the patio where Gray Snail used to have seating?  Great view right there.

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 03:56:47 pm »

If you like the gin fizz at the Bourbon Orleans hotel, try the Ramos Gin Fizz at Valkyrie sometime. I found it to be superior to the one at the Bourbon Orleans.  Next time you're down in New Orleans, give 21 Amendment a try. Good drinks and almost always a jazz band playing.

I'll have to try those out. Probably will get to try the Gin Fizz at Valkyrie sooner. Thank you for the recommendations!
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 02:56:29 pm »

I'll have to try those out. Probably will get to try the Gin Fizz at Valkyrie sooner. Thank you for the recommendations!

You're welcome. Enjoy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org