A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:34:30 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wider residential driveways  (Read 19949 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: May 01, 2018, 12:18:33 pm »

There is concern over a proposed zoning change that could make residential driveways wider than city streets:

http://midtowntulsahomes.com/2018/04/27/expanded-driveway-zoning-amendment-threatens-midtown/

The Home Builders Association of Greater Tulsa wants wider curb-cuts for 3-car driveways, or as much as half the frontage paved.

The following points, made in a letter to the TMAPC by the Bicycle/Pedestrian Advisory Committee further illustrate why this proposal is contrary to building a more livable city:

Driveways, by definition, cross pedestrian pathways. Wider driveways increase the size of this conflict zone and reduce the comfort and safety of people who walk.
    Wide driveways enable higher driving speeds on residential streets and encourage drivers to make faster turns. The extra width allows for a wide turn radius and eliminates the need to slow while approaching a turn.
    Wide driveways are associated with street-facing multi-car garages.  Street-facing garages mean more blank walls, fewer windows, and fewer “eyes on the street.”
    Wider driveways mean more asphalt and less green space. They contribute to heat islands, eliminate space for shade trees, and increase runoff to local stormwater sewer systems.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 02:27:57 pm »

Again...we need alleys..again.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 03:25:08 pm »

What ever came of this, was it passed by TMAPC?

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 04:14:47 pm »

What ever came of this, was it passed by TMAPC?

It was postponed until the proletariat loose interest.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 07:33:12 pm »

Again...we need alleys..again.

Great idea...Let's go backwards...

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 11:32:54 pm »

I though everyone one wanted Tulsa to be the utopian dream of bicycles, Uber, car sharing of electric cars, trolleys, street cars, light rail, high speed rail, no gas pumps, and everyone walked or pedaled everywhere unless you needed to use an app to use a car by the hour?  Roll Eyes
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 07:12:44 am »

Half the frontage paved...  that sounds like an attractive residential area.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 07:51:55 am »

Expand on that thought.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 08:03:48 am »

Expand on that thought.

It wasn't a thought...   But I would love to see him try to expand on that or even express a thought!!

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:14:43 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 08:11:41 am »

Yes.  Backwards to where there was actually architectural style in housing with the necessary utility related items at the back, unseen from the front, on a service access link - like gas meters, electric meters, trash pickup, entry to garage.

As opposed to the "pinnacle" of 20th century design - the big honking garage at the front of the house!   Oh, it is soooo attractive for the main architectural feature to be a barn door!!   Never.

I think Chimney Hills must be the ultimate delusion about 'classy design' in Tulsa.  They are beyond anal (Breadburner is gonna get a thrill here) in their embracing the garage as the central architectural feature - and the HOA...well, it's just not 'all that and a bag of chips' for classy housing design.

But hey, if you think that is attractive, well it just shows how all of your taste is in your mouth.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 08:13:06 am »

Half the frontage paved...  that sounds like an attractive residential area.

Ultimate expression of the American Dream of home ownership!   

For builders, realtors, and property tax entities...

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 08:30:31 pm »

Ultimate expression of the American Dream of home ownership!   

For builders, realtors, and property tax entities...

On the agenda again, Wednesday, June 6th, at 1:30 at 175 E. 2nd St., 2nd Level, One Technology Center, Tulsa City Council Chamber.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 09:57:07 am »

On the agenda again, Wednesday, June 6th, at 1:30 at 175 E. 2nd St., 2nd Level, One Technology Center, Tulsa City Council Chamber.

Somebody will pay somebody and something will pass...

Probably a "consulting fee"...one prominent ex-State Senator's 'consulting gig' consisted of selling carport plans to 'clients'.  Ran about $20,000 or so for the set of detailed plans with drawings, ready to have built by the carport assembler of your choice!  Got to see and actually hold one of those sets of plans one time in the deep dark past!  Great work if you can get it!

Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 08:48:36 am »

One of three things needs to happen here with most people in Tulsa now owning more than two vehicles, RV's, or boats.

1) Enforce no curbside parking longer than four hours. (Will never happen. Waste of police resources.)
2) Widen residential streets so vehicles can park by the curb, on both sides, and it not be a visibility hazard. Happening already in some new neighborhoods but not others.
3) Widen driveways to allow for three vehicles to park side by side.

They're all poison but, one has to be chosen.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 09:09:56 am »

One of three things needs to happen here with most people in Tulsa now owning more than two vehicles, RV's, or boats.

1) Enforce no curbside parking longer than four hours. (Will never happen. Waste of police resources.)
2) Widen residential streets so vehicles can park by the curb, on both sides, and it not be a visibility hazard. Happening already in some new neighborhoods but not others.
3) Widen driveways to allow for three vehicles to park side by side.

They're all poison but, one has to be chosen.

Probably so.   But at the same time, they COULD start planning better for the future so that 10, 20, 30, 50 years from now, all the new areas are done better...  My bet is that will never happen.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org