A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:15:40 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TU's yellow bicycles  (Read 5354 times)
OurTulsa
« on: August 27, 2006, 01:42:50 pm »

There is an insignificant photograph of two female students riding bicycles in todays World, in the Local section.  I didn't pay it any more attention than my 2 second glance permitted the first time through the paper however something made me read the caption beside the photo later on.  

According to the caption, the two students were some of the first to experience TU's bicycle program.  TU has made available 300 yellow bicycles (free?) to students to ride around campus.  The program is part of an effort to relieve parking problems throughout campus.

I am not sure if the students are able to take the bikes beyond the campus boundaries and what is required to secure a bike or for how long during a given day the can utilize one but I like the program.  

This will encourage students to leave the autos behind, give them some exercise while relieving traffic and parking congestion.  

How could the City of Tulsa do something similar?  Would it be worth the time/effort for Tulsa to do something similar?  Maybe some similar program could be made available on the river.  Allow anyone to approach a bike vendor (automated) and secure a bike for a given time period with the insurance of a credit card or cash down payment to use the bike for a given time.  This would be a great amenity for the river.  Imagine that at any given time at any of several points along the river a (White/bright Orange?...) bike could be available for your enjoyment.  Could the bikes be placed in strategic points throughout the City to encourage bike mobility?  Maybe a Brookside vendor, Cherry St. vendor, Downtown vendor...?

I like this program and I am curious to see how it works.  See how well the bikes are maintained.  

Wasn't there a similar program in Amsterdam at one point?  I wonder how that went/is going?
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 09:38:19 am »

dont know where else to put this

Just mind blowing.
https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2018/03/bike-share-oversupply-in-china-huge-piles-of-abandoned-and-broken-bicycles/556268/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 03:20:30 pm »

Pictures in the linked article are straight crazy.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 03:25:56 pm »

This could very well be a record for thread resurrection at 11 1/2 years.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 07:37:19 pm »

Just like American "excess" consumerism, only with a billion and a half people instead of 300 million....   It's gonna get even more crazy a little later on.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 11:35:14 am »

Just like American "excess" consumerism, only with a billion and a half people instead of 300 million....   It's gonna get even more crazy a little later on.

…. or a lesson that command and control economies do not always do such a good at either.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 08:23:45 am »

…. or a lesson that command and control economies do not always do such a good at either.

Especially when they are trying to copy our methods...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org