A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:14:56 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lot South of The Brady Theater  (Read 8006 times)
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2018, 09:39:45 am »

They could pretty up the bridge as a sort of mini "high line" park, since it's already pedestrian only and has a major Tulsa landmark (COU) right in the middle.  As was said before, the views from the bridge are impressive.  You can even see the ballpark.  The Jazz Depot already has music playing sometimes from their entrance way.  Maybe a small stage on the bridge itself with regular music playing to make it feel more lively.  The distance is really nothing.  If the bridge is more lively maybe that garage would be better utilized.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2018, 08:11:28 am »

There are always tourists on the bridge.  I love walking by as they stand in the Center of the Universe.  The bridge does need some significant work, it isn't welcoming for people who don't know the area.  But here's the gist of the issue:

If we build one new parking garages south of the Brady.  One at Cameron and Main.  And one by the ballpark...  you still won't be able to see where you parked as you walk to it from everywhere in the district.  They will all be 2 blocks away from Guthrie Green, or AHHA, or somewhere else.  People will still complain that there is no parking because there isn't free unlimited parking immediately within sight of where they want to go.  That's what we are used to.

I don't remember a day I've ever had to park further than 2 blocks away from the Tulsa Art's District, even with Tulsa Tough, a ballgame, and a concert or two going on at the same time. If someone ever sees all the parking within 2 blocks of the Arts District full, take pictures for me.

I don't think it is a parking problem.  It's a perception and expectation problem. We can certainly work to address the issue, and should,  as the concerns of patrons are certainly something that need to be respected, but we need to recognize there is plenty of parking.  Simply adding more will not likely alleviate those complaints.  People need to be easily directed to the parking and feel comfortable with it.  That might mean a new garage (in addition to the Main Street garage discussed, the lot across from the Brady, the new lot at Cameron and Main, the BOK lots, the lots across from the ballpark, the OSU Tulsa lots, and the free on-street parking...), signage, better maps, clear instructions, or whatever - but just adding more underutilized parking isn't the answer.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Herb Albert
Citizen

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2018, 01:44:56 pm »

Haven't heard of any new development in store south of the Brady theater, though it wouldn't surprise me. However, there is a brand new paved parking lot at the corner of N. Main and W. Cameron street (across the street from Hunt Club) that is 3 Dollars to park for those not interested in walking over a bridge.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2018, 02:56:24 pm »

Let's make the bridge flat over the RR tracks.  Entrance ramps parallel to the tracks with escalators will make it so you can always see the other side as well as not expending personal energy to go up the hill.

If only those early pioneers had put the rail line through downtown far enough underground that the streets could go straight over.  There is a now-buried creek (Cat Creek) that runs in that area that was filled in similar to Elm Creek in south downtown.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org