A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:51:37 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flashing Yellow Arrow  (Read 29581 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: March 21, 2018, 12:23:20 pm »

We let the 'burbs try it first to see if anyones heads exploded, now its time for Tulsa to give serious consideration to adding a flashing yellow arrow at some intersections to ease unnecessary congestion.

"Flashing yellow left turn signals allow both protective and permissive left turns and were installed to ease traffic flow at the intersection.  Previously, a driver attempting to turn left may have sat at a red light while there was no oncoming traffic. The new lights will flash a yellow arrow and allow the driver to turn left and avoid "unnecessary delays" when through lanes have a red light but there's no oncoming traffic."

Broken Arrow and Sand Springs have them, and there was one scheduled to be installed at 81st w ave & Charles page, but has anyone seen one on the city proper?

We have lots of good candidates for congestion-busting; 27th & Harvard (Broken Arrow Expressway underpass clusterflock) would be one place I might suggest.  When I pitched that to the MAC the response was "we dont have the parts, case closed."

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 12:42:17 pm »

I drive through BA quite a bit and those things are truly brilliant!!   Shame someone didn't figure this out many years ago!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 02:27:55 pm »

So... its like a green light.
MostSeriousness
Civic Leader

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 02:38:33 pm »

They were just getting to installing them in my last year in Norman. I'm not sure if there was any noticeable difference between them and other setups (though I only had a few months of experience as a pedestrian and driver on those streets). Other than a lot of vocal opposition to them, which again, was probably finally giving up around the time I moved.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 04:43:38 pm »

One of my co-workers doesn't think they are so great.  A young driver coming from the opposite direction thought it was like a regular yellow, one you could run because the "cross" traffic didn't have a green yet.  Yep, turned left just in front of him.  Significant front end damage to my co-worker's truck.  The brand new car of the young driver was presumably totaled.  I think it was probably another Master's or PHD thesis that someone just had to try.

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 04:48:20 pm »

More like a Yield sign that is traffic-aware.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 04:50:13 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 04:57:36 pm »

What's a traffic light? What's congestion?

Man I feel blessed those days are over for me.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 07:10:35 am »

Yep. This revolutionary "new" traffic device is exactly like a green light.  You can turn left when clear. 

Of course, the concept isn't new and the flashing yellow isn't new either.  You see the sporadically in other places.  I find they cause me to pause for a moment to make sure the light isn't turning red and verify that it is a flashing yellow.

I'm not sure what the advantage is over a green light for "turn if you can" and a green arrow for"go go go."

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 08:06:46 am »

One of my co-workers doesn't think they are so great.  A young driver coming from the opposite direction thought it was like a regular yellow, one you could run because the "cross" traffic didn't have a green yet.  Yep, turned left just in front of him.  Significant front end damage to my co-worker's truck.  The brand new car of the young driver was presumably totaled.  I think it was probably another Master's or PHD thesis that someone just had to try.

That's more related to the young driver having not retained any of the drivers manual he/she was trained on.  But mostly texting.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 09:14:32 am »

Owasso has had those in a few intersections for a year or so and yea, most folks treat them the same as a yellow light although some are confused and just sit there.

TeeDub
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 07:18:20 pm »

Like that, but it costs thousands of dollars more and gives jobs to several brother-in-laws and cousins.
Tulsa Zephyr
Activist

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 09:45:45 am »

Next thing you know, we'll have back-in pasrking spaces on one-way streets...

"My ambition is handicapped by laziness."  Charles Bukowski
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 08:46:59 am »

Serious question: why are flashing yellow arrows an improvement to a solid green light?

They don't bother me, I just don't understand why it is supposed to be an improvement.  If it isn't an improvement, why do it?  If it isn't an improvement, costs money, and introduces confusion... 

Someone cure my ignorance.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 10:30:09 am »

Serious question: why are flashing yellow arrows an improvement to a solid green light?

They don't bother me, I just don't understand why it is supposed to be an improvement.  If it isn't an improvement, why do it?  If it isn't an improvement, costs money, and introduces confusion... 

Best I can figure out is it reminds people in the left turn lane to yield before turning, as opposed to thinking you dont have to if the signal is solid green.

Ive seen turn lanes pile up because they wait at a red light when there is no other traffic at all.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 11:57:03 am »

Someone cure my ignorance.

Scenario;
Traffic coming the other way has a green.  Left turn green on your side implies you have a right of way.  Flashing yellow left arrow means the same thing, but can go if the oncoming is clear.  Yellow left arrow implies about to change, I guess - also means yield but go.    The ones I have seen, the yellow left turns solid yellow arrow when it is ready to change.   Probably an extra level of 'training' needed, but looking at the sign and the flashing yellow arrow, it is (should be) a quick learn.  Well, for most...

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org