A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:34:07 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lot South of The Brady Theater  (Read 8030 times)
Ibanez
City Father

« on: March 20, 2018, 10:17:15 am »

Has anyone heard what is going on at the lot between Boulder & Cheyenne/Archer & Brady? I was at Chimera on Saturday morning and overheard a conversation where the people involved said a hotel, Hilton Garden Inn, was supposed to go in there.  I hadn't heard anything about that lot being developed so was wondering if something is actually happening there.
MostSeriousness
Civic Leader

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 10:26:16 am »

The Hilton Garden Inn is on the other side of the bridge, Cheyenne and 2nd.

I thought the lot South of the Brady Theater was tabbed for a parking garage

EDIT - I was wrong in the garage area. That's going off of Cameron between Boulder and Main.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 10:34:22 am by MostSeriousness » Logged
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 11:47:34 am »

The only new Brady hotel I'm aware of is the Holiday Inn Express at Archer & Detroit, which is under construction

Proposed Hilton Garden Inn at 2nd & Cheyenne

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 12:23:21 pm »

The only new Brady hotel I'm aware of is the Holiday Inn Express at Archer & Detroit, which is under construction

Proposed Hilton Garden Inn at 2nd & Cheyenne

And they are both being built by the same company, so I would assume they won't start the Hilton until the Holiday Inn is complete.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 12:31:00 pm »

Quick search - I didn't see any changes in property records. Assessor shows it is owned by WRT Reality, which I haven't heard of undertaking significant developments (correct me if I'm wrong). Nor do I see anything with TMPAC, but that doesn't mean much.  I also haven't seen anything going on over there I don't associate with Welltown or staging for the lofts on Boston & Archer.
http://www.assessor.tulsacounty.org/assessor-property.php?account=R00500920229400&return=close

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 05:35:51 am »

It needs to be a garage plus retail. Ideal spot for it for serving things down Main and down Brady.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 08:10:47 am »

Is there a particular reason people won't use the garage next to the Jazz Depot for Brady District parking?  It's literally just a few steps over the Center of the Universe and bam, there you are.  For $2, it's large enough and cheap enough to handle the entire district most nights, in my opinion.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 09:10:03 am »

Is there a particular reason people won't use the garage next to the Jazz Depot for Brady District parking?  It's literally just a few steps over the Center of the Universe and bam, there you are.  For $2, it's large enough and cheap enough to handle the entire district most nights, in my opinion.

You walk 1-2 blocks past nothing, up hill, and across railroad tracks. Then another 1-4 blocks to your destination.

This area draws people who make their own kombucha and eat only free range Kale, but is mad if they have to park more than 20ft away from the front door at Whole Foods. We still haven't managed to cross the "walking won't kill you" hurdle.
TeeDub
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 09:26:48 am »

This area draws people who make their own kombucha and eat only free range Kale, but is mad if they have to park more than 20ft away from the front door at Whole Foods. We still haven't managed to cross the "walking won't kill you" hurdle.

We recently hired a 30 something that makes his own kombucha.   Strangely he doesn't have a man bun, a beard OR lots of obvious tattoos.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 11:06:38 am »

You walk 1-2 blocks past nothing, up hill, and across railroad tracks. Then another 1-4 blocks to your destination.

Argh.  This. 

Well, most of this.  You aren't even walking past nothing.  From the BOK garage you walk past the Jazz Hall, a sculpture, over RR tracks with interesting views in all directions, the center of the Universe, past a brick condo building, a 5 story construction project, an art gallery in a cool building always with chalk drawings on it, a row of shops/restaurants/bars, and a giant mural... in TWO BLOCKS. That's actually a good bit of stuff to look at in a short walk. That's a 4 minute, 900 foot walk.

If you were to park at the front door of Sears at Woodland Hills Mall, it's a further walk to Macy's. The closest paid (not "reserved") parking to an OU game is further than that (which you won't get).  It's possible you might walk further at a Driller's game looking for the shortest dollar beer line.  The entire walk is short than the distance of walking from one end of the Expo building to the other.  It's half as far as taking a walk around the block. 

"There's no parking" is often code for "what do you mean my SUV didn't come with valet parking?"

Of, perhaps if I'm feeling less hostile, people who are used to suburban settings with seas of unused surface parking aren't used to finding garages to park in. And don't realize they walk just as much at the mall.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 03:46:37 pm »

Argh.  This. 

Well, most of this.  You aren't even walking past nothing.  From the BOK garage you walk past the Jazz Hall, a sculpture, over RR tracks with interesting views in all directions, the center of the Universe, past a brick condo building, a 5 story construction project, an art gallery in a cool building always with chalk drawings on it, a row of shops/restaurants/bars, and a giant mural... in TWO BLOCKS. That's actually a good bit of stuff to look at in a short walk. That's a 4 minute, 900 foot walk.

If you were to park at the front door of Sears at Woodland Hills Mall, it's a further walk to Macy's. The closest paid (not "reserved") parking to an OU game is further than that (which you won't get).  It's possible you might walk further at a Driller's game looking for the shortest dollar beer line.  The entire walk is short than the distance of walking from one end of the Expo building to the other.  It's half as far as taking a walk around the block. 

"There's no parking" is often code for "what do you mean my SUV didn't come with valet parking?"

Of, perhaps if I'm feeling less hostile, people who are used to suburban settings with seas of unused surface parking aren't used to finding garages to park in. And don't realize they walk just as much at the mall.

I get it, and I agree with you intellectually, but it bugs me to no end to have to walk back over that bridge.  It feels like I'm leaving the area and then have to walk back in.  It's not the distance, it's the feel of the whole thing.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 07:20:08 pm »

I get it, and I agree with you intellectually, but it bugs me to no end to have to walk back over that bridge.  It feels like I'm leaving the area and then have to walk back in.  It's not the distance, it's the feel of the whole thing.

I totally agree. I think it is because of the pitch. I like to see where I am walking and you can't until you get almost halfway.

Power is nothing till you use it.
TeeDub
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 07:27:58 pm »

I vote we tear down the bridge and have a vote to replace it with one that can't be built for the allocated budget.   
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 08:00:25 pm »

I vote we tear down the bridge and have a vote to replace it with one that can't be built for the allocated budget.   

Let's make the bridge flat over the RR tracks.  Entrance ramps parallel to the tracks with escalators will make it so you can always see the other side as well as not expending personal energy to go up the hill.

TeeDub
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 07:44:48 am »

It also sounds like an excellent opportunity for a moving walkway.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org