A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:46:57 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: at&t outage  (Read 15183 times)
rebound
City Father

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 03:32:25 pm »

The wireless router that came with the service was garbage. I didn't use it.

Thought about that.  Did you completely replace it, or just create wireless subnet using a better router?

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2018, 05:27:43 pm »

The wifi router AT&T gave me was integrated with the modem and they locked me out of the admin console, so I had to do a subnet.

Another nice thing with Cox, I don't even use their modem. The only thing I rent from them is a cable card for $2 a month.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2018, 09:03:07 pm »

The wireless router that came with the service was garbage. I didn't use it.

FWIW, the current at&t gateway (modem/router/wap) is the BGW210-700 that has both 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios.

https://fccid.io/PGRBGW210/User-Manual/User-Manual-3205221

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2018, 09:21:17 pm »

I turned the AT&T router wireless off. I have three Access points, connected via Cat-5, at three places in my house (It's a long house with some materials that don't do radio any favors). Just plugged that setup into the AT&T router. I get great wireless signal, just can't access anything outside my house 1-2 a month.

I have their TV service for almost free, two of my boxes are wireless and run off of a different AT&T access point. That one can't see through a closed door.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2018, 08:14:38 am »

Thanks for these replies.   I have a pretty decent wireless router sitting idle.  I'll set up a subnet and see how that works over time.  If I get noticeably better wifi, I'll look to move completely off the ATT router and move everything to the subnet.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2018, 07:46:43 pm »

Thanks for these replies.   I have a pretty decent wireless router sitting idle.  I'll set up a subnet and see how that works over time.  If I get noticeably better wifi, I'll look to move completely off the ATT router and move everything to the subnet.

You can turn the routing off on almost any router and use it as just a wireless access point. No need to add a second layer of address translation.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2018, 08:01:17 pm »

You can turn the routing off on almost any router and use it as just a wireless access point. No need to add a second layer of address translation.

Sometimes its as simple as plugging a crossover Ethernet cable into a port (rather than the input) after turning off the routers DHCP.  Be aware that I once had a situation where the router-turned-AP decided to reinstate its DHCP after a power failure.  Your mileage may vary.

I will note that the newest at&t gateways have better radios than before (so much that I was able to decommission a repeater) and  one of the IT guys at work turned me on to the Ubiquiti APs that seem to handle traffic quite well.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2018, 11:12:29 pm »

AT&T wouldn't give the admin password to the router and it wasn't any of the common ones.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2018, 05:30:14 am »

AT&T wouldn't give the admin password to the router and it wasn't any of the common ones.

I was talking about turning routing off on YOUR router, not theirs.

Also, on all the AT&T routers they are giving out today, the passwords are printed on the side.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2018, 03:53:38 pm »

I was talking about turning routing off on YOUR router, not theirs.

Also, on all the AT&T routers they are giving out today, the passwords are printed on the side.

Yeah,  I have the password to my ATT router.    And the spare one I have has specific instructions for setting it up as a subnet.  Travelling yesterday and today.  I'm going to mess with it later this week.

I may also look into getting ATT to provide me with one of their newest routers.  If that is free or nominal cost, and fixed the wireless issue, it would be the preferred option.

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2018, 05:23:09 pm »

I may also look into getting ATT to provide me with one of their newest routers.  If that is free or nominal cost, and fixed the wireless issue, it would be the preferred option.

Chances are they will only do that if you get a house call from a tech with one on his truck.  Mine told me it was a one-for-one-swap at no cost, but a new $7 equipment fee showed up on the next bill.  Granted the new BGW210 was much better than the old NVG (Not Very Good) gateway but you have to get everything in writing now.  The new one also has an Optical Network Terminal fiber optic connector but its RJ-45 meaning it takes an optical adapter when you eventually go fiber.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org