A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:57:23 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Street-level vending  (Read 4620 times)
Michael71
Civic Leader

« on: March 02, 2018, 05:38:31 pm »

Just curious if anyone has info on why Tulsa doesn't have more street-level vending like hotdog, coffee, pizza carts, etc...

--------------------------
"Why be part of the 'brain drain' that gets sucked out of Tulsa...The opportunity IS there, you just gotta make it!!"--Eric Marshall
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 08:38:28 pm »

Just curious if anyone has info on why Tulsa doesn't have more street-level vending like hotdog, coffee, pizza carts, etc...

foot traffic density (lack of)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 09:50:28 pm »

I believe health code is related to. I think you basically have to have a real restaurant and just sell out of a cart as opposed to the cart being self-contained business.
Michael71
Civic Leader

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 02:13:52 pm »

Roll Eyes
Thanks for the responses.
I did some research and the health department is pretty strict.  It appears that you can't even offer chili on a hotdog stand

--------------------------
"Why be part of the 'brain drain' that gets sucked out of Tulsa...The opportunity IS there, you just gotta make it!!"--Eric Marshall
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 04:55:03 pm »

Slightly off topic, but been trying to get items for my store from small businesses like some that have started with Kitchen 66.  The problem I have been running into is that, as far as I have been told, they need to have nutrition labels on their items, not just ingredients.  Then one of them recently got back to me after a trip to OKC to try to do just that, they were told that they couldn't "manually package" the items, they had to all be machine packaged before they could sell wholesale to other shops.  Well that has stopped me dead cold on getting a lot of the food products I was hoping to get in order to help support those small enterprises for thats a big expenditure for a lot of them. They can sell it themselves from carts and such, but not in other stores.  

Unless anyone knows of any exceptions that could help in this situation?

Oh and as for the topic... I will agree, very poor foot traffic in our downtown really hurts.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 02:17:11 pm »

There used to be a hotdog cart show up periodically at Boston & 3rd during lunch, especially back when the farmer’s market was happening.  It did not seem to do a lot of business.  I haven’t seen it in several years.

I’m pretty sure the labeling requirements are FDA rules.  The mechanical bottling requirement seems odd because I thought one of the purposes behind Kitchen 66 was to provide commercial kitchen space that is usually hard to find to allow production for commercial sales.
TeeDub
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 04:52:08 pm »

Oh and as for the topic... I will agree, very poor foot traffic in our downtown really hurts.

Many years ago when I worked downtown there was a lot of foot traffic...

Then they took out the fountain at Bartlett square and made it a road.   (I guess that dates me a little.)
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 05:18:23 pm »

Still slightly confused about the difference between selling prepared food done on a sidewalk cart, and one prepared just a few feet over parked in an on street parking spot.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 05:31:38 pm »

Still slightly confused about the difference between selling prepared food done on a sidewalk cart, and one prepared just a few feet over parked in an on street parking spot.

Might be the noise from the electric generator.

Grin

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 08:48:53 am »

I was in Tijuana years ago and needed something to offset tequila. I chose meat on a stick from a vendor with a restaurant made from recycled grocery cart and a Weber grill.

I asked what kind of meat, but he just smiled and said back to me, "meat, si`".

I think it was delicious.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org