A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:42:54 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Convention (Cox) Center Arena To Become Ballroom  (Read 7907 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2018, 01:53:39 pm »

I agree, figuring out the Page Belcher site should be the next project over there.  The civic center parking garage is the only logical place to expand though if more space is needed. 

I would like to see whatever plan include expanding the plaza around page belcher north, south, and west, so pedestrians can move from the convention center to the BOK center (and the parking garage) without crossing traffic. Frisco and 4th could both easily be covered. Give outdoor dining and bar space too.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2018, 01:54:02 pm »

Yeah, and my husband was there. Corroborated by others as well.

Edited to add:
http://www.kissfaq.com/forum11/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44808
76-03-08: Tulsa, OK, USA, Assembly Center. The show was cut short when someone threw a beer bottle at Peter and knocked over several pieces of his drum kit. (KAF)

Beer bottle or Jack Daniels bottle, who really knows?

He must have had a good arm.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2018, 02:21:05 pm »

I was at the 1976 show. My father was a Tulsa police officer and was working the show backstage. He got me in a door and I got to stand off stage. It ended kinda crazy and I didn't know why at the time. My main memroy from that show was standing near the girlfriends of the band members and thinking they were so beautiful.

If more convention space is needed beyond what is added with the arena conversion and the new entrance hall, why not build on the Page Belcher site? Build a sky bridge over the street or a tunnel under the street to connect the new space and the existing convention center. The Belcher lot probably has room for a hotel on top of another convention hall. IF Tulsa added on that site you also then could directly link the BOK Center.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2018, 08:34:33 am »

Because the Page Belcher building is Federal.  The City doesn't own it and our Congressmen/Senators haven't been able or have been unwilling to get the building moved/replaced over the past 20+ years it has been discussed.

I'm assuming some of the proposals we are paying $500,000 for people to come up with will suggest:

1) Keep the building, build on the western side lot and use the unused portions of the existing building for convention space or other purposes while retaining the space that has a Federal purpose still.  Build a skybridge to the library and parking garage to the west.

2) Tear down the building and
A) Rebuild the Federal Building as a tower on the eastern edge of the lot while using the western edge for other purposes, or
B) Rebuild the Federal Building somewhere else and build shiny things on the entire lot.

POOF!   Money please...

But none of that matters unless Uncle Sam decides to act.  

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org