A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:19:19 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inoculations Anonymous  (Read 7201 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: February 15, 2018, 11:32:59 am »

Is there a way to gift someone a flu shot as an anonymous present? 
A certificate they could cash in someplace like Walgreen's or CVS is what im thinking, though I havent directly asked them yet. 

My instance would be a stubborn friend who uses the cost as an excuse to not inoculate, and I dont believe the health department here does freebies anymore.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 12:26:18 pm »

Some people choose to not get the flu shot for a variety of reasons. It's none of your business.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 12:29:38 pm »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/health/tulsa-health-department-offering-free-flu-shots/article_7b3253c3-641e-57f7-9416-d9279860a4b5.html

Power is nothing till you use it.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 12:35:06 pm »

Some people choose to not get the flu shot for a variety of reasons. It's none of your business.

I'm going to respectfully disagree here.  Assuming this is a friend, and he cares about him (or her), there's no reason not to talk about this.  Same goes for just about any topic.  If, for example, one of my friends is doing something stupid (like, say, drinking too much or driving drunk) darn straight we are going to have a discussion.  I care about my friends.  Now, once that discussion is had, I (and they) can decide how to progress with the friendship.

Also, assuming that cost is actually the issue, just give them $30 and tell them to go to Reasors and get it done.

AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 12:40:45 pm »

I'm going to respectfully disagree here.  Assuming this is a friend, and he cares about him (or her), there's no reason not to talk about this.  Same goes for just about any topic.  If, for example, one of my friends is doing something stupid (like, say, drinking too much or driving drunk) darn straight we are going to have a discussion.  I care about my friends.  Now, once that discussion is had, I (and they) can decide how to progress with the friendship.

Also, assuming that cost is actually the issue, just give them $30 and tell them to go to Reasors and get it done.

My choices regarding my health are personal and are no one's business but my own. Share your opinion. That's fine. But beyond that, nunya.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 01:01:12 pm »

My choices regarding my health are personal and are no one's business but my own. Share your opinion. That's fine. But beyond that, nunya.

I can respect that choice, with the understanding that making that choice affects more than themselves if they become sick.
Gifting a certificate or voucher merely removes an excuse; they could be free to re-gift it to someone they feel more needy.

Its been on my mind, and more so since SyFi has been showing "Contagion" which received praise for scientific accuracy.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 01:09:31 pm »

I can respect that choice, with the understanding that making that choice affects more than themselves if they become sick.
Gifting a certificate or voucher merely removes an excuse; they could be free to re-gift it to someone they feel more needy.

Its been on my mind, and more so since SyFi has been showing "Contagion" which received praise for scientific accuracy.

I guess this is a hot button for me. I was recently berated by someone over my choice to not get a flu shot. My reasons were dismissed and I was treated like some kind of criminal. For the record, I've never had a flu shot and I've also never had the flu. I take my precautions using common sense and supplements.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 01:15:26 pm »

I guess this is a hot button for me. I was recently berated by someone over my choice to not get a flu shot. My reasons were dismissed and I was treated like some kind of criminal. For the record, I've never had a flu shot and I've also never had the flu. I take my precautions using common sense and supplements.

So are you an anti-vaxer in general?  Honest question, just curious.

AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 01:34:55 pm »

So are you an anti-vaxer in general?  Honest question, just curious.
I am not responsible for any children, so general vaccinations I have no opinion.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 01:47:15 pm »

I am not responsible for any children, so general vaccinations I have no opinion.

Cool.    Overall, I tend to be more of a "it takes a village" when come to public health issues.  (i.e. we all need to do our part, etc...) I used to never bother with getting the flu shot, but over the years (and as I have gotten older), it has been a regular thing to do. 

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 03:53:19 pm »

Cool.    Overall, I tend to be more of a "it takes a village" when come to public health issues.  (i.e. we all need to do our part, etc...) I used to never bother with getting the flu shot, but over the years (and as I have gotten older), it has been a regular thing to do. 

Mumps, measles, small pox, etc. I see a good reason to get a vaccine and their efficacy is fairly well documented.  The flu vaccine, however, seems to have quite mixed results and the vaccines are produced on a best guess of which strain(s) will make the rounds in a given year.

That said, I've had the flu before in years where I had the vaccine.  I also know of others who were vaccinated and got very ill with the flu this year.

It may be a complete coincidence, but neither my wife nor myself have had the flu vax in about four years.  That also is about the time we started using essential oils and we are never sick.  Not the flu, not common colds, not stomach bugs, just basic old school preventative medicine.  I did have a minor case of bronchitis last year which seemed to coincide with an endoscopy which was not all that surprising since they did take some tissue samples.  Whatever virus it was that caused my myocarditis in late 2013 was either a freak deal or it is possible I did have erlichiosis (tick-borne illness which can cause heart damage).  This was also prior to the time we were using the oils.  I was pretty skeptical when my wife got off into that but the improvement in allergies, overall well being, better sleep etc. not just with us but others in our circle of friends and family is pretty remarkable.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 04:21:54 pm »

Mumps, measles, small pox, etc. I see a good reason to get a vaccine and their efficacy is fairly well documented.  The flu vaccine, however, seems to have quite mixed results and the vaccines are produced on a best guess of which strain(s) will make the rounds in a given year.

That said, I've had the flu before in years where I had the vaccine.  I also know of others who were vaccinated and got very ill with the flu this year.

It may be a complete coincidence, but neither my wife nor myself have had the flu vax in about four years.  That also is about the time we started using essential oils and we are never sick.  Not the flu, not common colds, not stomach bugs, just basic old school preventative medicine.  I did have a minor case of bronchitis last year which seemed to coincide with an endoscopy which was not all that surprising since they did take some tissue samples.  Whatever virus it was that caused my myocarditis in late 2013 was either a freak deal or it is possible I did have erlichiosis (tick-borne illness which can cause heart damage).  This was also prior to the time we were using the oils.  I was pretty skeptical when my wife got off into that but the improvement in allergies, overall well being, better sleep etc. not just with us but others in our circle of friends and family is pretty remarkable.

This was the first year in about ten I haven't gotten the vaccine.  It was freely available to me but I decided not to this year.  I've been ill but mainly with sinus infections and lastly a nasty upper resp infection.  I'm also at greater exposure now since my social life isn't quite so anti-social now.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org