A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2018, 10:19:51 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UCAT v. TDA, land development north of 244  (Read 1350 times)
TeeDub
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2018, 11:09:56 am »

They could offer housing to TCC students too who want to move out of their parents house but not to Norman or Stillwater.  Offer a shuttle to the downtown campus (or they could bike), maybe also shuttle to other campuses maybe if there's demand.  Maybe a small fee to cover costs.  If we're going to settle into the TCC then OSU/OU/Langston-Tulsa model, might as well go all in and connect them as much as possible.

They have those...  They are called apartments.   Student loans pay for housing whether it be on or off campus.

Most all the advisors at OSU/NSU (my only personal experience) tell you what classes to take at TCC before finishing out your degree with them....   So they do try to work together somewhat.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2018, 12:22:39 pm »

They have those...  They are called apartments.   Student loans pay for housing whether it be on or off campus.

Most all the advisors at OSU/NSU (my only personal experience) tell you what classes to take at TCC before finishing out your degree with them....   So they do try to work together somewhat.

And "surprisingly" (sarc) the off campus variety always manage to offer a better price point, or better options in general than campus housing. It's as if private developers are more likely to meat the demand of potential buyers better than a giant bureaucracy or something.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2018, 12:30:09 pm »

I know it's not exactly the same, but a decade or so ago Rogers State acquired a (historically significant) building in downtown Bartlesville in order to expand their campus. I think expectations were quite high this would bring some sort of economic development to the area but as far as I can tell that hasn't really panned out. And outside of the replacement of windows for that building (which I'm sure wasn't cheap) I haven't really noticed a difference in the building itself either. But last I heard, roughly 500-600 students utilize the "campus". With the close proximity to ConocoPhillips (a major employer) and the big push for the nursing program it seemed like they had some ties that could make it work. But for the most part it seems to be utilized be local high school students who are concurrently enrolled and nursing students who work elsewhere. I'm sure it's different than OSU in many MANY regards, but both were downtown campus that had great hopes of turning the areas around, to no avail.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2018, 02:10:43 pm »

I know it's not exactly the same, but a decade or so ago Rogers State acquired a (historically significant) building in downtown Bartlesville in order to expand their campus. I think expectations were quite high this would bring some sort of economic development to the area but as far as I can tell that hasn't really panned out. And outside of the replacement of windows for that building (which I'm sure wasn't cheap) I haven't really noticed a difference in the building itself either. But last I heard, roughly 500-600 students utilize the "campus". With the close proximity to ConocoPhillips (a major employer) and the big push for the nursing program it seemed like they had some ties that could make it work. But for the most part it seems to be utilized be local high school students who are concurrently enrolled and nursing students who work elsewhere. I'm sure it's different than OSU in many MANY regards, but both were downtown campus that had great hopes of turning the areas around, to no avail.

A commuter campus doesn't add to it's surroundings the same way a residential campus does. It doesn't even have the same kind of students in most cases.
TeeDub
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2018, 02:33:39 pm »

A commuter campus doesn't add to it's surroundings the same way a residential campus does. It doesn't even have the same kind of students in most cases.

Less drug use and higher attendance from what I can tell.    (Sorry, seemed funny at the time.)
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2018, 05:56:45 pm »

Less drug use and higher attendance from what I can tell.    (Sorry, seemed funny at the time.)

Kids with munchies tend to go in search of nearby snacks.

Parents taking night classes tend to want to go home, which is miles from the school.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org