A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:43:27 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Office-retail development across from Utica Square at old Goldie's location  (Read 29882 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2019, 06:44:58 pm »

And before I get sued by Wendy's, the last time I went there, the line moved relatively quick (There was no one in front or behind me), they were courteous and they only missed 1 thing from my order (which I only noticed when I was home so oh well). Truly a 5-star Wendy's experience!

I don't really have many complaints about Wendy's.  We go there once in a while.  I really like their chili...tastes somewhat similar to what I make at home - way better than Coney Ilander!.  And we have the 'free Frosty' tag for the year 2019, so that is good.   Don't eat their burgers much, though.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Urban Enthusiast
Activist

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2019, 07:52:51 pm »

Had a chance to take some pictures of the progress of this development this moring.  Looks like they are getting close to being finished.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 07:55:24 pm by Urban Enthusiast » Logged
D-TownTulsan
Activist

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2019, 06:56:54 am »

^^ So refreshing to see something like that built up to the sidewalk. Tulsa needs more of that. the first picture scared me as the Utica Square Parking lot hides the street! For a second there I thought they pulled a fast one on and dropped parking between the building and street!
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2019, 10:03:43 am »

I know some don't like his style but I appreciate Bumgarner's Neo-Tuscan projects scattered around Utica Square.  I wouldn't mind a few others along 21st through there. 

Hopefully we see more redevelopment within Utica Square itself, mainly on the Miss Jackson's/Petty's site.  But also at the corners like at Utica where the bank could be redeveloped into something taller, with retail on the ground level and either offices or condos above.  Same for the corner at Yorktown where the Chico's building could be similarly redeveloped.  Lots of potential to make Utica Square a more dense retail/mixed-use area more similar to the Plaza in KC or Cherry Creek North in Denver.

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2019, 12:09:50 pm »

I know some don't like his style but I appreciate Bumgarner's Neo-Tuscan projects scattered around Utica Square.  I wouldn't mind a few others along 21st through there. 

Hopefully we see more redevelopment within Utica Square itself, mainly on the Miss Jackson's/Petty's site.  But also at the corners like at Utica where the bank could be redeveloped into something taller, with retail on the ground level and either offices or condos above.  Same for the corner at Yorktown where the Chico's building could be similarly redeveloped.  Lots of potential to make Utica Square a more dense retail/mixed-use area more similar to the Plaza in KC or Cherry Creek North in Denver.

I agree.

Maybe not the best architectural style, but matches the area as they've done previously and it adds needed density.  This building will house jobs and functions that otherwise might be spread out in single-story buildings like we have along 21st.

Developments like these are key to concentrating jobs and parking and showing that it's economically feasible. Would be great to replace more of the old single story buildings along major streets like this. Would also be great if this spurns development in Utica Square like you said. Attractive, mixed use is really the way going forward. Landlords should be able to offer space as needed and as the market dictates. Single-story build-to-suit is not a great plan long-term, even if mega-corporations pay top dollar lease contracts at the moment.
Urban Enthusiast
Activist

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2019, 02:11:24 pm »

I would like to see within Utica Square itself a hotel and some residential.  That would add vitality and sustainability.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2019, 02:43:57 pm »

I find Utica Square far less interesting and enjoyable now than it was 10 (or even 5) years ago.  I still go there, especially to eat at many of the restaurants and it is crowded on a typical Saturday, but it just doesn’t have the same feel or interest anymore.  That giant fenced off lawn where Miss Jackson’s and Petty’s were is much of the problem for me, but it also seems something else has changed.  It feels like a place just trying to hang on and ride the coat tails of its past without expending any effort or capital to adapt to the future.  If I didn’t live close by, I’m not sure I would make much effort to go there anymore.
buffalodan
Activist

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2019, 03:08:50 pm »

I find Utica Square far less interesting and enjoyable now than it was 10 (or even 5) years ago. 

My wife and I walk there fairly often. I was hoping that after 21st was done, it would be a more pleasant walk. It is not. I think that is what I don't enjoy about it. It isn't a nice place to walk through. I wouldn't mind them installing a parking garage and start trying to orient some of the business to more of a pedestrian experience.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2019, 03:00:36 pm »

My wife and I walk there fairly often. I was hoping that after 21st was done, it would be a more pleasant walk. It is not. I think that is what I don't enjoy about it. It isn't a nice place to walk through. I wouldn't mind them installing a parking garage and start trying to orient some of the business to more of a pedestrian experience.

Yes!  It has a lot of good bones for a shopping center, especially the interior section around Queenies/Wild Fork/etc.  It just needs to redevelop the edges and create a more mixed-use setting.  I remember what Cherry Creek North in Denver looked like 15 years ago and it isn't that different than Utica Square, but now it's almost like a second, more retail-oriented downtown.  They adapted to a changing retail environment and Utica Square has not.  Luckily in that location surrounded by the highest income neighborhoods in the city it is in a good position to change if its leadership allows it.

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2019, 11:20:37 am »

I personally really like the setting of Utica Square, with blocks of buildings breaking up the parking areas, and several trees in the parking areas. Completely different than the asphalt oceans in South Tulsa (Tulsa Hills, etc.). But it definitely needs an upgrade. Brightly marked crosswalks showing where to walk across the parking areas would be a start. And yeah, the old Miss Jacksons/Petty's spot needs something. The fence just so unsightly. Mixed use is the way of the future, and it could be incorporated well, as long as they try to stay true to the style and not plop down some boring glass megastructure in the middle of the square.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2020, 01:05:22 pm »

I find Utica Square far less interesting and enjoyable now than it was 10 (or even 5) years ago.  I still go there, especially to eat at many of the restaurants and it is crowded on a typical Saturday, but it just doesn’t have the same feel or interest anymore.  That giant fenced off lawn where Miss Jackson’s and Petty’s were is much of the problem for me, but it also seems something else has changed.  It feels like a place just trying to hang on and ride the coat tails of its past without expending any effort or capital to adapt to the future.  If I didn’t live close by, I’m not sure I would make much effort to go there anymore.

We drive around through the place regularly, and you are spot on about the 'feel' changing!   Feels like we are just going there out of habit...

Losing Russell Stover didn't help...even though that wasn't Utica Square's fault. 

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2020, 04:18:38 pm »

Losing Russell Stover didn't help...

WAT?
Glacier is superior and local
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2020, 04:20:59 pm »

WAT?

They are pretty good, I gotta admit.  And the chocolate shop on main in Broken Arrow is even better!  We do like them both a lot!

I just gotta stay at the lower priced tier for most of the time, though.  Would love to go to Glacier as much as we did RS, but just can't afford it, so we go once in a while!

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2020, 02:20:47 pm »

WAT?

I agree. The only thing RS has is lower price points on some items. But having Glacier in there is better for the city. Local brands like that are a great way to help build a local vibe. I can't speak on profitability or what the rent is, but losing RS and gaining Glacier looks like one of the better things Utica Square has done the last few years.

However, there has to be a mix of local and things that bring in the kind of people that watch commericials and want "name brand" everything. I'd much rather have DoubleShot or Fair Fellow than Starbucks, but our world is so saturated by mega corporations, a shopping center has to put in the later to bring in customers. Starbucks is probably the most visited place there. They sell poor quality burnt coffee and 1000+ calorie "beverages" and yet people still buy it. Maybe losing RS was bad for bringing in those types.

Utica Square definitely goes for big prestigious/high-demand brands, especially those desirable to upper middle class and above. I'd think RS has lost a lot of the luster over the years and that Glacier supplants it locally at least.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2020, 02:26:09 pm »

Yes!  It has a lot of good bones for a shopping center, especially the interior section around Queenies/Wild Fork/etc.  It just needs to redevelop the edges and create a more mixed-use setting.  I remember what Cherry Creek North in Denver looked like 15 years ago and it isn't that different than Utica Square, but now it's almost like a second, more retail-oriented downtown.  They adapted to a changing retail environment and Utica Square has not.  Luckily in that location surrounded by the highest income neighborhoods in the city it is in a good position to change if its leadership allows it.

Following in the path of those sort of areas would be great for Utica Square, but it would be resisted pretty strongly from surrounding neighborhoods. I wonder if they could even get in one mixed use building like Cherry Creek North. It would be great for them to try though. They'd have to make it upscale like the pricey condo buildings surrounding it. It would take several of those to turn the area from outdoor shopping mall into a mini downtown.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org