A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:37:32 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Office-retail development across from Utica Square at old Goldie's location  (Read 29800 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 11:17:47 am »

I can see how people don't like the over use of that style, but it can look better than most buildings when done right. At its worst, it can be terrible, but these 2 above examples are not that.

Here are a couple faux Italian buildings that are awful and give the style a bad name:

We seem to be getting a significant selection of Italianate type buildings in midtown.  3 of those were just wrong, but the one with the swimming pool seemed about as authentic as anything else done in this country, given the realities of building for office, retail, hotel, etc, in the area...well, except for the pool..!   I got a feeling that a lot of what we look at and see as "Tuscan" from the old world is either incomplete - as they ran out of money to finish the building, or worn such that the outer stucco layer has come off, leaving the stones/bricks exposed the building is made from.

This design looks like it would fit in well enough and not be a detriment to the area, though...  Just my thoughts...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 11:33:01 am »

We seem to be getting a significant selection of Italianate type buildings in midtown.  3 of those were just wrong, but the one with the swimming pool seemed about as authentic as anything else done in this country, given the realities of building for office, retail, hotel, etc, in the area...well, except for the pool..!   I got a feeling that a lot of what we look at and see as "Tuscan" from the old world is either incomplete - as they ran out of money to finish the building, or worn such that the outer stucco layer has come off, leaving the stones/bricks exposed the building is made from.

This design looks like it would fit in well enough and not be a detriment to the area, though...  Just my thoughts...

I love the Mediterranean look when done well but you're right that one with the pool is pretty typical of when that look is attempted in the US. It is better than those others and better than a generic apartment complex, but certainly not a remarkable piece of architecture and I can see why many would dislike it.

This new building seems pretty well designed and will fit in with other new buildings. Not stunningly beautiful or remarkable, but very nice.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 01:47:48 pm »

I love the Mediterranean look when done well but you're right that one with the pool is pretty typical of when that look is attempted in the US. It is better than those others and better than a generic apartment complex, but certainly not a remarkable piece of architecture and I can see why many would dislike it.

This new building seems pretty well designed and will fit in with other new buildings. Not stunningly beautiful or remarkable, but very nice.

For better or worse it has become sort of a trademark of midtown architecture, which I assume ties back to Philbrook.  I honestly like the style and hope more of the infill around Utica Square looks similar.  Similar to the "white district" that formed around 35th & Peoria it can create a defining look for a particular area.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2019, 10:12:38 am »

The BoA drive through next door is closing.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2019, 12:50:39 pm »

Is that part of this development?

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2019, 10:11:22 am »

Is that part of this development?

I don't know.  I was just notified of the closing. 
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2019, 01:12:34 pm »

I hope this doesn't lead to a great bank drive through crisis in Tulsa, they are already pretty hard to find.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2019, 09:26:07 pm »

This looks like it is topped out or close to it.  Nice infill and density in the Utica Square area.  Maybe they can replace the Wendy’s next.

ELG4America
Activist

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2019, 09:08:54 am »

This looks like it is topped out or close to it.  Nice infill and density in the Utica Square area.  Maybe they can replace the Wendy’s next.

I can't imagine Wendy's letting that location go. That place prints money at lunch time.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2019, 10:50:10 am »

I can't imagine Wendy's letting that location go. That place prints money at lunch time.

You're probably right, unless they could be on the ground floor of a larger project that would likely involve more medical office space next to St John. 

Maybe once Bumgarner is finished with this project they'll do something at 14th & Utica.  Such a prime location just sitting there for over a decade, it better be on par with Utica Place/Plaza when they finally build it out.

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2019, 12:19:35 pm »

A Wendy's executive takes a surprise visit to get dinner. He goes in and notices the line moves expeditiously. He orders and notices the employee is polite and takes his order with no issues as he orders a burger meal and frosty. They then make the meal quickly and even tell him "Thank you! Enjoy your meal!". Afterwords, he promptly fires everyone in the restaurant. "Excellent speedy service? An operational Frosty machine?? Treating customers with respect!?! That is NOT what customers expect of Wendys!"
ELG4America
Activist

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2019, 04:24:09 pm »

A Wendy's executive takes a surprise visit to get dinner. He goes in and notices the line moves expeditiously. He orders and notices the employee is polite and takes his order with no issues as he orders a burger meal and frosty. They then make the meal quickly and even tell him "Thank you! Enjoy your meal!". Afterwords, he promptly fires everyone in the restaurant. "Excellent speedy service? An operational Frosty machine?? Treating customers with respect!?! That is NOT what customers expect of Wendys!"

^This!!! Hahahaha
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2019, 11:06:20 pm »

Anyone have pics to share?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2019, 12:57:31 pm »

True.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2019, 02:06:51 pm »

True.

And before I get sued by Wendy's, the last time I went there, the line moved relatively quick (There was no one in front or behind me), they were courteous and they only missed 1 thing from my order (which I only noticed when I was home so oh well). Truly a 5-star Wendy's experience!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org