A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:53:53 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NW corner of 15th and Delaware  (Read 7931 times)
tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« on: November 18, 2014, 04:56:32 am »

Over a year ago I heard a rumor that the owner of the buildings on the NW corner of 15th and Delaware planned to tear them down and build a new commercial development of some kind.  Since those buildings are some of the better original buildings on this stretch of 15th, I passed it off as nonsense, but over the past few months I noticed all the tenants have vacated the buildings and yesterday it appeared they were disconnecting the sewer.   This is the two story red brick right on the corner and the one story strip just to the west.  So now it looks imminent.  Anyone know anything??  I haven't heard of any zoning action.  It would be a shame to lose these buildings, which were built to the curb and had adequate parking in the rear, if all they are going to do is build a new strip center that doesn't fit the area.  

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 09:10:40 am »

Like we need another strip center to open, then close in 18 months or less, leaving the remaining 'debris' looking a lot less interesting than the old buildings with character that are there today!  (Pretty much all this post is said with the most ironic, sarcastic, mode of text I can muster...)

We don't need all those old reminders of early Tulsa!  Blech to Brick!!  We need something built with metal wall studs, inadequate fiberglass insulation and a layer of stucco slobbered all over the outside to give it that clean, "modern", "shopping center" look....

But, but, but,....it will raise property values...and create jobs....and generate economic activity for the area.... blah, blah, blah....

Did it work??  Did it come off as sarcastic to the idea of getting rid of those places as I intended??

Now, for something a little more hopeful...

Hopefully it is having sewer reworked for making this area the logical extension of the Cherry Street franchise!  Really shouldn't be any reason for that concept to stop - continue it on east!  There already is/was (haven't been by for a while, so don't know if it is still there) a small salon in the old gas station on the southeast corner calling itself "Cherry Street Salon" trying to extend the franchise.  That little building has at least as much character as the old gas station with the blue dome (Veteran's Bar for oldtimers) on it.  It still has the drive cover from when it was a station!

It would be a shame to lose those buildings!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Susansooner
Citizen

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 12:28:55 pm »

Drove by today and they are demolishing the buildings that most recently had The Retro Den.
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 06:46:25 pm »

Drove by today and they are demolishing the buildings that most recently had The Retro Den.

I noticed this today too. Sad. There are so many other building along this stretch of Cherry Street that need to be demoed, but not these. I just hope whatever goes in place is not a parking lot or another drive-thru restaurant or CVS.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 10:33:16 pm »

I noticed this today too. Sad. There are so many other building along this stretch of Cherry Street that need to be demoed, but not these. I just hope whatever goes in place is not a parking lot or another drive-thru restaurant or CVS.

Those were getting pretty rough.  As long as whatever replaces it has parking in the back, it will retain the character of the area.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 07:02:32 pm »

Rumors circulating in Florence Park say "additional parking lot for the pain management clinic on the opposite corner".  If that's true, I give up.   Shocked

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 10:21:27 pm »

Just curious if anyone knows anything more about this redevelopment at 15th & Delaware?

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 09:40:39 am »

Just curious if anyone knows anything more about this redevelopment at 15th & Delaware?

Have you noticed they also demolished the buildings at 15th and Colombia including a couple neat cottages? Probably to sit empty for years like at 15th and Delaware.

What is up with Tulsa business owners demolishing old/historic buildings to turn them into worthless empty lots/eye sores? Even a parking lot would be better than what 15th and Delaware has been the last few years, but hoping they actually build something worthwhile.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 09:53:52 am »

I might have some insight on the lot at 15th and Columbia. We all know about QT going in at 15th and Lewis, buying Bill & Ruths. Well, the owner's name is Samih Saiymeh and Saiymeh LLC just bought that corner lot from Cherry Street Properties and demolished the mid-century looking building. Disappointed that's gone but hopefully they build something cool. Bill & Ruths would be a great addition to the neighborhood there.

The 2 bordering lots where they're demolishing those other buildings are still owned by Cherry Street Properties. I hope they have something good planned.

Now if someone could figure out what "Kavi Holdings" is and if they ever plan to do anything with the 15th and Delaware besides "holding" them. They also own the Pain & Wellness Center and lot by it so maybe it's just their company and they do intend to just build a big parking lot.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 10:23:00 am »

I might have some insight on the lot at 15th and Columbia. We all know about QT going in at 15th and Lewis, buying Bill & Ruths. Well, the owner's name is Samih Saiymeh and Saiymeh LLC just bought that corner lot from Cherry Street Properties and demolished the mid-century looking building. Disappointed that's gone but hopefully they build something cool. Bill & Ruths would be a great addition to the neighborhood there

There were rumblings about Bill and Ruths moving to the old Massad's on the NW corner of 15th & Columbia, was that the building demolished?  QT told the neighborhood that they wont be moving on their new location for a year.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 10:25:02 am »

From a 2015 KOTV article:

Neighbors said the developer plans to build office and retail spaces - the plans didn't include the, now, former structure.

http://www.newson6.com/story/30136946/tulsans-want-historic-buildings-protected-in-zoning-code

That's why I was asking if anyone knew the current status.  That strip along 15th through Florence Park could be similar to Cherry St with some of the gaps filled in and a couple more restaurants.  The Florence Park neighborhood would certainly love that. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 10:36:28 am by SXSW » Logged

AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 10:25:53 am »

There were rumblings about Bill and Ruths moving to the old Massad's on the NW corner of 15th & Columbia, was that the building demolished?  QT told the neighborhood that they wont be moving on their new location for a year.

This is true. Bill & Ruth's are indeed building a new building at that location.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 11:02:15 am »

I briefly checked the INCOG/TMPAC map and saw nothing at 15th and Delaware:
http://map7.incog.org/boatmapc_sde7/

If you have as specific address you can search historic minutes, the planning commission, Board of Adjustment, pull the property records, and other things that may give a clues (or flat out answer the question).  Heck, a lot of times you can just call the owner and ask.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 11:32:49 am »

From a 2015 KOTV article:

http://www.newson6.com/story/30136946/tulsans-want-historic-buildings-protected-in-zoning-code

That's why I was asking if anyone knew the current status.  That strip along 15th through Florence Park could be similar to Cherry St with some of the gaps filled in and a couple more restaurants.  Would love to see some mixed-use developments like Roosevelt's on some of those lots.

That would be great if they do end up building a mixed-use structure there but so far it has been 3 years and no progress.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org