A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2018, 03:48:19 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does professional soccer have a future in Tulsa?  (Read 5074 times)
D-TownTulsan
Citizen

« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2018, 11:48:13 am »

I was also thinking that the stadium would include a building fronting a street that includes retail and restaurant space open year around (think how Greenwood businesses were sort of incorporated into the ballpark) and the field could be open to the public when not in use for a formal event.  But yeah, should have a staging area and a commitment to find ways to use it for things other than soccer games to keep it active year around.

Agreed! If it were to be in the parking lot district, you essentially have a clean slate to create something really cool that could inform future development. As an architect, this would be the coolest project to tackle - One of the most difficult things is to create density from basically nothing. It's fragile too because you can't just force new context to exist, it has to listen and speak to the city.
Laramie
Civic Leader

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2018, 09:48:50 pm »

Oklahoma City Soccer Stadium
Mockup version of Oklahoma City Soccer Stadium, if it were to be used for Oklahoma State High School Football Championships. #American_Football #Field #Football #High_School #Oklahoma #OSSAA #Skydance_Bridge #Stadium #State #Union_Station

Despite the land acquisition setback, Funk Jr.'s stadium timeline remains on-track. The new location for the stadium, when finalized, will not have the originally planned real estate and commercial developments. The PCOM site also had a complicated clearing and cleanup process, which would have taken up to two years before building could begin.

The Energy also recognizes that Taft Stadium is not viable long-term because it does not meet United States Soccer Federation standards. Taft is only 67 yards wide, three yards short of the minimum USSF standard. Funk Jr. confirmed that the club is unable to host U.S. Open Cup games at Taft because the pitch is too narrow.--Excerpts: Oklahoman, July 8, 2017

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 09:54:23 pm by Laramie » Logged

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
DowntownDan
Philanthropist

« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2018, 10:55:01 am »

From my office I can see them installing the sinking mound.  My iphone doesn't take good enough pics to make it worthwhile to post.  But it seems to be going quickly.
DowntownDan
Philanthropist

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2018, 08:06:40 am »

Athletic are making an announcement on Thursday, including a different venue this season.  Any speculation or insight?
DowntownDan
Philanthropist

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2018, 02:32:18 pm »

Holy cow, I'm an oracle.  I mentioned the sinking mound for OneOk and then they do it.  In another thread I suggested Veterans Park for the Athletic, and today they announce they'll be playing their games there this season.  I think its a great move!  I'll be buying tickets for sure!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org