A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:20:15 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) GreenArch II  (Read 21335 times)
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2022, 08:49:00 am »

I haven't been down this street in awhile, but as I walked across the Detroit bridge over the tracks the other night I could see that they had a band playing on the top patio. This building is completely done and open now and it sounds like Gastronom is a hit.
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2022, 11:15:47 am »

This building has some nice lights that make the street feel pretty lively. Looking forward to seeing the "This Is GreenWood" sign powered up.
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2022, 09:33:36 pm »

This building has some nice lights that make the street feel pretty lively. Looking forward to seeing the "This Is GreenWood" sign powered up.

Too bad it was made by white people - should have given the commission and work to black artists. Seems like a missed opportunity and frankly feels odd given what has happened here to have a white developer build a big sign saying 'this is greenwood' that was built by white people. It's a cool idea don't get me wrong, just not done right.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2022, 12:09:45 am »

Too bad it was made by white people - should have given the commission and work to black artists. Seems like a missed opportunity and frankly feels odd given what has happened here to have a white developer build a big sign saying 'this is greenwood' that was built by white people. It's a cool idea don't get me wrong, just not done right.

I get that us old white guys cannot fully understand the Black experience. Does that mean that we shouldn't even try?  Not saying this is the case in this instance though.

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2022, 01:44:00 pm »

I get that us old white guys cannot fully understand the Black experience. Does that mean that we shouldn't even try?  Not saying this is the case in this instance though.

Definitely not - just for this particular thing it feels odd to me that the sign was built by a bunch of white people, designed by white people, commissioned by a white developer that says "this is greenwood"

There's a lot of talented black artists locally that could have designed and built the same thing, just don't understand why they weren't given the opportunity to do so in such a special location and saying that. Just feels odd to me.

The historical context of white developers wanting Greenwood for their own, especially after the massacre, to have a white developer place a sign like that feels inappropriate even with good intentions. Because that development isn't what Greenwood was, it's the white people's idea of 'this is greenwood' now.

I'd feel different if the developer had utilized either black artists or craftspeople to design, build, and install it
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2022, 06:15:02 am »

Definitely not - just for this particular thing it feels odd to me that the sign was built by a bunch of white people, designed by white people, commissioned by a white developer that says "this is greenwood"

There's a lot of talented black artists locally that could have designed and built the same thing, just don't understand why they weren't given the opportunity to do so in such a special location and saying that. Just feels odd to me.

The historical context of white developers wanting Greenwood for their own, especially after the massacre, to have a white developer place a sign like that feels inappropriate even with good intentions. Because that development isn't what Greenwood was, it's the white people's idea of 'this is greenwood' now.

I'd feel different if the developer had utilized either black artists or craftspeople to design, build, and install it

They did use a Tulsa-based company - Lektron Branding Solutions - and the lead on the sign who actually made it happen is Roland Williams - https://tulsaworld.com/video/news/this-is-greenwood-sign-over-90-feet-long/video_d76b1428-6ce9-51ce-b7b2-8cdb5b19c1ad.html.

That being said there should be a city initiative or even a city-sponsored fintech set-up to promote African-American business ownership. I believe in the Greenwood area all except a few businesses are owned by white people and probably all of the buildings. But then again I think the city should really focus on small business owners in general instead of just pining to get random electric car factories.

shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2022, 08:05:42 am »

shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2022, 08:07:42 am »

The 'This is Greenwood' sign makes an impression, though it is still partly blocked by construction equipment and skips at the moment. I do like the colored LED strips on the side - makes it look like a lively street especially with the museum next door.
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2022, 10:31:04 am »

Seems like they've got at least one floor almost leased out completely.

https://tulsaworld.com/business/local/a-beacon-for-people-new-21-north-greenwood-building-opening-with-law-firm/article_a091cee4-b68e-11ec-b7a4-c76a80343907.html

The lights on the sides are a nice touch. It's a cool little urban street now
ComeOnBenjals
Civic Leader

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2022, 10:25:35 am »

Nice addition to the downtown area.

NEW HIGH-QUALITY MEDICAL CLINIC TO OPEN IN THE HEART OF GREENWOOD

"The clinic, slated for an early 2023 opening in the 21 N Greenwood building, will give Tulsans access to a host of medical services.

“We are building a home for modern medical care,” Dr. Stephens said. The clinic will provide “same day care, pediatric care, gynecology and general adult medicine.”"

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org