A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:26:57 pm
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tesla's Big F***ing Field  (Read 104590 times)
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #315 on: March 07, 2022, 09:03:52 pm »

Well - not surprised but amazed and I never stop being amazed by stupidity.  Grin

From what I've heard is GKFF has pretty much taken over recruiting/HR through a shell organization called InTulsa. While startups always go through purge phases it sounds like GKFF is a driving force behind some of it and also is replacing/adding talent as fast as it is exiting, which is always conveniently left out of news articles because that makes for much less click bait. I can't yet tell if this will be a win for GKFF and they will get this company really rolling or it could as easily end up being a Solyndra 2.0. Who knows? It's far from circling the drain yet that's for sure. Getting the factory and facilities built I think will be a plus, it can always be readapted to other companies/users if Canoo ends up insolvent.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #316 on: October 14, 2022, 12:30:51 pm »

Musk shows what a humanitarian he is...

Elon Musk’s SpaceX has said it cannot afford to continue to donate satellite internet to Ukraine and has asked the US government to pick up the bill, according to a report, as the relationship between the billionaire and Kyiv breaks down.

But the request for funding comes after a high-profile intervention from Musk, who suggested Ukraine should seek an end to the war by surrendering territory to Russia and committing to remain “neutral”. His tweets led to a furious reaction from the Ukrainian government, which had previously praised Musk for offering the Starlink system.

“F--k off is my very diplomatic reply to you,” tweeted Andrij Melnyk, the Ukrainian ambassador to Germany. “The only outcome is that now no Ukrainian will EVER buy your f…ing Tesla crap. So good luck to you.”

In response to a suggestion that Musk was threatening to withdraw Starlink because of Melnyk’s words, the SpaceX chief executive tweeted this morning that “we’re just following his recommendation 🤷‍♂️”.

On Tuesday, Musk denied a report that he had spoken directly to Vladimir Putin, the Russian president. Ian Bremmer, the president of the political risk consultancy Eurasia Group, said: “Elon Musk told me he had spoken with Putin and the Kremlin directly about Ukraine. He also told me what the Kremlin’s red lines were.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/oct/14/elon-musk-spacex-no-longer-fund-starlink-internet-ukraine

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #317 on: October 14, 2022, 02:41:40 pm »

Cue the headlines tomorrow of "Tesla to build new factory in Moscow".

Ironically their build quality will be right at home next to Russian cars.
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #318 on: October 14, 2022, 03:16:25 pm »

Just another in a long line of events that show what a asshat musk is. I'm glad we didn't get any kind of tesla facility now. Who know what the future of his companies look like when he alienates everyone and becomes another mypillow like COE that survives on a cult base. Looks like Canoo is inching closer and closer to being a real thing though, albeit the potential of them building anything substantial in OK is still up in the air.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #319 on: December 14, 2022, 08:02:44 pm »

CNN  — Twitter on Wednesday permanently suspended an account that tracked the location of Elon Musk’s private jet, despite the social media company’s owner last month vowing, “My commitment to free speech extends even to not banning the account following my plane."

Not getting the Tesla plant may be a blessing in disguise.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/14/tech/elonjet-twitter-suspended/index.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #320 on: December 15, 2022, 08:55:19 am »

Me thinks this thread has drifted outside the realm of Tulsa development
Belongs in Politics / People-that-are-jerks
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #321 on: December 15, 2022, 09:40:37 am »

Tesla is definitely on a spiral, but the semi truck business could lift them, and in spite of everything they do have a lot of momentum at this point so they could be re-organized or bought out at some point. I don't like the company or it's leader, but the investment in OK still would have been nice and probably would have lead to more. On the bright side, Canoo is still chugging along...
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #322 on: December 15, 2022, 10:38:18 am »

Tesla is definitely on a spiral, but the semi truck business could lift them, and in spite of everything they do have a lot of momentum at this point so they could be re-organized or bought out at some point. I don't like the company or it's leader, but the investment in OK still would have been nice and probably would have lead to more. On the bright side, Canoo is still chugging along...

The Semi really could be just as big as all their business combined right now. I still think they'll need another production facility as big as Austin probably just for the Semi at some point. Nevada can't handle everything overflow from Austin.

I do think it's hilarious reading back all the people saying Tulsa never had a chance because Elon was too 'liberal' and our state is too crazy. Heck it seems like Elon might be too crazy for Oklahoma. After living in Texas I can tell you the Q anon and conspiracy side of things and just the 'bluntness' of people down there is 10x what it is here.

There isn't any reason why Oklahoma and Tulsa don't have a shot at any Tesla expansion. Question is Elon going to get removed by the board if he lets Twitter continue to take up time and ruin their reputation. I can tell you as someone who was once going to buy a Tesla I will never drive one as long as he's making a bunch of money off it and spouting out hateful stuff non stop. California, etc. are their biggest markets and they're already seeing drops in sales. Even in the last few days he got in an argument with conservatives who are still pumping out the electric cars are worse for the environment than gas - so good luck with that Elon.

____

Another topic, Canoo I believe is working on an order from the US Army which would be huge. I think initial order would be for several thousand of their trucks which would given them close to 50,000 orders this year from the vans to trucks. Army could eventually order hundreds of thousands if the test order goes well. These would likely be used around army bases and other areas versus a battlefield vehicles. More logistics and operational type stuff which is a big part of making sure our Army functions. That could lead into orders for other services too (Navy, etc.) and there really isn't any competition for Canoo who could fill that at the moment. Maybe Ford, but they are so bogged down in trying to get regular trucks out to consumers there's no way they will be able to be a competitor for a few more years likely - same with Chevy who is really not as far as Ford on the electric truck side. Tesla's trucks are jokes, the only one of theirs I think is ridiculous and the Army for sure isn't buying anything new from Elon in this administration going forward.
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #323 on: December 16, 2022, 08:42:55 am »

The Semi really could be just as big as all their business combined right now. I still think they'll need another production facility as big as Austin probably just for the Semi at some point. Nevada can't handle everything overflow from Austin.

I do think it's hilarious reading back all the people saying Tulsa never had a chance because Elon was too 'liberal' and our state is too crazy. Heck it seems like Elon might be too crazy for Oklahoma. After living in Texas I can tell you the Q anon and conspiracy side of things and just the 'bluntness' of people down there is 10x what it is here.

There isn't any reason why Oklahoma and Tulsa don't have a shot at any Tesla expansion. Question is Elon going to get removed by the board if he lets Twitter continue to take up time and ruin their reputation. I can tell you as someone who was once going to buy a Tesla I will never drive one as long as he's making a bunch of money off it and spouting out hateful stuff non stop. California, etc. are their biggest markets and they're already seeing drops in sales. Even in the last few days he got in an argument with conservatives who are still pumping out the electric cars are worse for the environment than gas - so good luck with that Elon.

____

Another topic, Canoo I believe is working on an order from the US Army which would be huge. I think initial order would be for several thousand of their trucks which would given them close to 50,000 orders this year from the vans to trucks. Army could eventually order hundreds of thousands if the test order goes well. These would likely be used around army bases and other areas versus a battlefield vehicles. More logistics and operational type stuff which is a big part of making sure our Army functions. That could lead into orders for other services too (Navy, etc.) and there really isn't any competition for Canoo who could fill that at the moment. Maybe Ford, but they are so bogged down in trying to get regular trucks out to consumers there's no way they will be able to be a competitor for a few more years likely - same with Chevy who is really not as far as Ford on the electric truck side. Tesla's trucks are jokes, the only one of theirs I think is ridiculous and the Army for sure isn't buying anything new from Elon in this administration going forward.

If Canoo can get an actual contract from the Army, that would be great but let's not get ahead of ourselves. They got a $67500 contract to supply two vehicles for evaluation - most likely they approached all the armed forces about trying them out at cost (or a loss) and only the Army said "sure - what the hell". And let's not forget the Army has been "evaluating" hydrogen vehicles for almost 11 years now and that really hasn't gone anywhere. Even if Canoo gets a contract from the Army, you'd really be looking at them only being a support vehicle on the bases which would probably, at best, amount to a few thousand trucks. A nice contract to have as lifetime parts and support are included, but it's not gonna happen soon if it happens at all. Ford, GM, even Rivian will have much better supply chains and much fewer orders in the pipeline here in a few years and they're all better positioned than Canoo to landing an actual military contract. I'd be willing to bet that the Army will want to check those company's offerings out before committing to adding EVs, and the logistics of maintaining EVs, to their arsenal. Ultimately, I see Chevy and Ford winning most if not all the military contracts since they already have a huge relationship with them and, at least in the case of the Lightning, already have basically the same truck all over the bases. Maintaining an electric F-150 would be easy since it shares so many parts with its ICE brethren.

The Tesla Cybertruck is a total joke, like Musk's weave.

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #324 on: December 18, 2022, 10:39:08 pm »

If Canoo can get an actual contract from the Army, that would be great but let's not get ahead of ourselves. They got a $67500 contract to supply two vehicles for evaluation - most likely they approached all the armed forces about trying them out at cost (or a loss) and only the Army said "sure - what the hell". And let's not forget the Army has been "evaluating" hydrogen vehicles for almost 11 years now and that really hasn't gone anywhere. Even if Canoo gets a contract from the Army, you'd really be looking at them only being a support vehicle on the bases which would probably, at best, amount to a few thousand trucks. A nice contract to have as lifetime parts and support are included, but it's not gonna happen soon if it happens at all. Ford, GM, even Rivian will have much better supply chains and much fewer orders in the pipeline here in a few years and they're all better positioned than Canoo to landing an actual military contract. I'd be willing to bet that the Army will want to check those company's offerings out before committing to adding EVs, and the logistics of maintaining EVs, to their arsenal. Ultimately, I see Chevy and Ford winning most if not all the military contracts since they already have a huge relationship with them and, at least in the case of the Lightning, already have basically the same truck all over the bases. Maintaining an electric F-150 would be easy since it shares so many parts with its ICE brethren.

The Tesla Cybertruck is a total joke, like Musk's weave.

What I had been told is that the Army is looking at order several thousand as an expansion of the orginal test vehicles. I could be wrong about that but I don't know.

Ford and Chevy don't have any spare capacity on the EV side and likely won't for several years which opens the door to a company like Canoo. If they can pull it off.
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #325 on: December 18, 2022, 10:41:05 pm »

Tesla is expected to announce another international factory, this one will be in Monterrey Mexico according to some sources.

https://www.thestreet.com/technology/teslas-new-factory-location-revealed?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org