A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:38:47 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cabin Boys Brewery - Review  (Read 3453 times)
rebound
City Father

« on: January 18, 2018, 11:37:42 am »

I'm not sure if this is a new topic, or if it should go under restaurant reviews or wherever. But given the attention lately to the various new Breweries we need a place for specific reviews and updates on events, etc.

I finally made it to Cabin Boys yesterday, and was impressed by the place and the beer quality overall.   A couple of us did flights to check out all their offerings, and across the board(s) there was only one beer that was not to my taste.  (But that same beer is one of their better noted beers, so what do I know?)

A couple of things that made the evening more interesting:

1)  They are doing a BBQ class on Feb 10th, and were shooting some promo pictures for it last night, including their own actual BBQ, and gave everyone in the place free BBQ when they were done!  Very cool of them, and great BBQ.  If anybody is looking for a BBQ class where they can also pair beer, that might be something to check out.

2)  Gustungling!  I have never seen this or heard of it before, but gustungling is apparently a German thing and has been around forever and is usually done with heavy/darker beers. (CB does theirs with a stout.) It involves sticking a hot iron into the glass of beer to caramelize the sugars and increase the foam.  It results in a cold beer with a warm, nutty, foam head.  They serve the stout in two glasses so that you can do a side by side taste test: One small glass (flight size) that they serve normally, and a separate glass that they gustung.  (is "gustung" a verb?) It's very cool to watch, and significantly changes the flavor as well.  It's worth a trip just to try this single offering, as I don't think anyone else is doing it yet.  Gimmicky?  Maybe, but still neat.

Anyway,  nice place, nice people, and good beer.   CB is now on my rotation.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 11:45:03 am »

I'm not sure if this is a new topic, or if it should go under restaurant reviews or wherever. But given the attention lately to the various new Breweries we need a place for specific reviews and updates on events, etc.

I finally made it to Cabin Boys yesterday, and was impressed by the place and the beer quality overall.   A couple of us did flights to check out all their offerings, and across the board(s) there was only one beer that was not to my taste.  (But that same beer is one of their better noted beers, so what do I know?)

A couple of things that made the evening more interesting:

1)  They are doing a BBQ class on Feb 10th, and were shooting some promo pictures for it last night, including their own actual BBQ, and gave everyone in the place free BBQ when they were done!  Very cool of them, and great BBQ.  If anybody is looking for a BBQ class where they can also pair beer, that might be something to check out.

2)  Gustungling!  I have never seen this or heard of it before, but gustungling is apparently a German thing and has been around forever and is usually done with heavy/darker beers. (CB does theirs with a stout.) It involves sticking a hot iron into the glass of beer to caramelize the sugars and increase the foam.  It results in a cold beer with a warm, nutty, foam head.  They serve the stout in two glasses so that you can do a side by side taste test: One small glass (flight size) that they serve normally, and a separate glass that they gustung.  (is "gustung" a verb?) It's very cool to watch, and significantly changes the flavor as well.  It's worth a trip just to try this single offering, as I don't think anyone else is doing it yet.  Gimmicky?  Maybe, but still neat.

Anyway,  nice place, nice people, and good beer.   CB is now on my rotation.

I've been to CB three times now, with friends/family, and love this place.  I had never heard of the Gustungling, but now will have to ask about it and check it out.  Their beers rotate a lot but I haven't had one I didn't either flat out like or appreciate (even if it wasn't a favorite of mine it's beer; I'll still drink it).

I love the area out near the shop with the Ping Pong table, foosball table and bag toss (? not even sure what that game is called).  Keeps you busy and social while drinking.  I haven't tried the food yet from the trucks but will have to soon.

I love the fact that there are now three local brewers in walking distance from each other (CB, Marshall's, Renaissance..which I have yet to go to).  Oklahoma has come a long way since Eric opened Marshall's back in 2008.  Can't wait for October.

I also love the long tables in the taproom made out of tree trunks.  Gives the place an earthy feel to it.

And if you haven't, make sure you get up near the Circle Cinema on Admiral Blvd and try Heirloom Rustic.  That place is awesome and they have great beers.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 11:47:27 am by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
rebound
City Father

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 12:17:59 pm »

Love Heirloom.  Solid top to bottom.   Going to try Renaissance this weekend for sure.  Have to stay on top of things.  Smiley

TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 03:22:56 pm »

We have a long-going thread about all the new breweries in Tulsa and now people have started 3+ new threads in the last month.

This "Development & New Businesses" board certainly isn't for stand-alone reviews but I appreciate brewery discussion.

This is the thread that's 5 pages and talks about all the new breweries including Cabin Boys:
http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=21475.60
rebound
City Father

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 03:47:24 pm »

Yeah, saw those other threads.   Maybe just combine all the Brewery threads under one single master topic.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org