A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:24:17 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two more new brewers in the region (NE Oklahoma)  (Read 8259 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« on: January 06, 2018, 11:11:12 am »

Renaissance Brewing (12th and Lewis, Tulsa) - http://www.renaissancebeer.com

Fat Toad Brewing (Pryor, 3986 W. 530 Road -- near the Mid America Industrial Park) - https://www.facebook.com/Fat-Toad-Brewing-Company-1757403584547416 (they don't appear to have a website of their own just yet).

I'm pleased to see how many new breweries are opening in the area; I fear though at some point there will be a point of critical mass if it keeps going and some of these may not last long.  The good ones like Marshall, Dead Armadillo and American Solera will likely do just fine, but I hope the newer ones can carve out a niche for themselves and be as popular as they need to be to remain viable.  I've visted Cabin Boys (very good selection) and Heirloom Rustic (kind of eclectic but their beers are quite good also).  Going back to Heirloom Rustic today.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
rebound
City Father

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 11:18:34 am »

I went to Heirloom again last week, for my second visit.  Across the board, they are making quality products.  I was/am impressed.

I think for most of these places, they are going to need to find other outlets for their beers.  Dead Armadillo, for example, as opened a place in the Tulsa airport and you can also buy their beers in liquor stores, etc.

As the laws change this year, the various places are going to need to open up their food options.  Heirloom for example doesn't offer any food other than cookies, and that is a deterrent to a more broad business.   

Have not been to Cabin Boys yet, but plan on hitting them this week.

joiei
City Father

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 01:59:40 pm »

As the laws change this year, the various places are going to need to open up their food options.  Heirloom for example doesn't offer any food other than cookies, and that is a deterrent to a more broad business

Maybe they just want to brew beers.  Maybe they do not want to run a restaurant.  All the brewers seem to have arrangements with our food truck chefs on a rotating basis. 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 02:44:54 pm »

Maybe they just want to brew beers.  Maybe they do not want to run a restaurant.  All the brewers seem to have arrangements with our food truck chefs on a rotating basis. 

Agreed.   And Heirloom brews good enough beer that they might be able to do that.  But I was responding in general to Hoss' comment about critical mass.  As more competitive pressure comes in, any edge on the margin will help to keep some of them in business.  A food truck arrangement would work well, but needs to be relatively permanent.  We actually left Heirloom last week to move to Solera at 18th and Boston to get Pizza at their food truck.  After a while, not getting those one or two extra beer sales can add up.   

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 05:52:59 pm »

Agreed.   And Heirloom brews good enough beer that they might be able to do that.  But I was responding in general to Hoss' comment about critical mass.  As more competitive pressure comes in, any edge on the margin will help to keep some of them in business.  A food truck arrangement would work well, but needs to be relatively permanent.  We actually left Heirloom last week to move to Solera at 18th and Boston to get Pizza at their food truck.  After a while, not getting those one or two extra beer sales can add up.   

And that is a good point.  Having food increases the chances of a guest ordering more than one beer.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 06:57:38 pm »

Make that three.  According to TW article, new brewery going in at Fourth Street and Frankfort Avenue. 

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/scene/whattheale/new-era-fine-fermentations-plans-downtown-brewery/article_654c6cac-f637-5760-8709-1fe95ddcd8f0.html
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 08:10:29 pm »

Make that three.  According to TW article, new brewery going in at Fourth Street and Frankfort Avenue. 

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/scene/whattheale/new-era-fine-fermentations-plans-downtown-brewery/article_654c6cac-f637-5760-8709-1fe95ddcd8f0.html

Specializing in 'gluten-free'.  Oh boy....

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

TylerBGoode
Activist

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 10:21:42 am »

I went to Heirloom again last week, for my second visit.  Across the board, they are making quality products.  I was/am impressed.

I think for most of these places, they are going to need to find other outlets for their beers.  Dead Armadillo, for example, as opened a place in the Tulsa airport and you can also buy their beers in liquor stores, etc.

As the laws change this year, the various places are going to need to open up their food options.  Heirloom for example doesn't offer any food other than cookies, and that is a deterrent to a more broad business.   

Have not been to Cabin Boys yet, but plan on hitting them this week.

Is the law change going to allow brewers to sell food? If so, Bricktown and Elgin Park will be able to get more creative with their beer options. Both, under the current law, only serve low point brews.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 10:33:02 am »

Is the law change going to allow brewers to sell food? If so, Bricktown and Elgin Park will be able to get more creative with their beer options. Both, under the current law, only serve low point brews.

October I believe.  Same time as when big box retailers can sell high point beer and refrigerated.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:01:19 am by Hoss » Logged

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 10:40:00 am »

There are so many quality food trucks in town there really isn't a need for brewers to also do food service (unless that's also their passion).  When I am able to make a brewery there's almost always a food truck there.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 10:41:38 am »

Specializing in 'gluten-free'.  Oh boy....

I'm skeptical but I'll definitely try some gluten free beers.  I assume they'll have regular beers too?
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 11:43:05 am »

I'm skeptical but I'll definitely try some gluten free beers.  I assume they'll have regular beers too?

This New Era video doesn't make it sound so bad
https://www.instagram.com/p/BdwFG1XgJ8p/
Having tried all the gluten free beers currently available, I'm skeptical
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 12:22:23 pm »

There are a lot of people who think they are going to make a bunch of money starting a brewery. That might have been true a few years ago. They are in for a rude awakening if they plan to be more than a bar that makes their own beer. Heirloom is the best new brewery by far.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 12:25:03 pm by CharlieSheen » Logged
MostSeriousness
Civic Leader

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 12:38:00 pm »

I have a friend who sticks to gluten-free, and we tackle some Omission brand gluten-free beer - comes in IPA, lager and a few other varieties I haven't tried. It's not bad, really.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 12:39:36 pm »

There are a lot of people who think they are going to make a bunch of money starting a brewery. That might have been true a few years ago. They are in for a rude awakening if they plan to be more than a bar that makes their own beer. Heirloom is the best new brewery by far.

Agreed on both counts.  And give Cabin Boys a try.  Just around the corner from Marshalls and they have a pretty good selection.  And on Saturdays (and maybe other days) they have a food truck, ping pong in the lower shop as well as foosball and that bag toss thing which I'm not sure what it is called.  I love Heriloom as well.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org