A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:52:27 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cinergy Entertainment @ 71st and Memorial  (Read 13387 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2019, 05:32:10 pm »

I don't think for instance our current Mayor or any representative of the "city" has ever even bothered to come to my store downtown just a short walk from their offices.  I have worked to create perhaps the largest, locally owned retail store in downtown and a pretty fun and unique one if I do say so myself.  They haven't even bothered so much as to make a "tweet" about it.  Nor the previous mayor or administration as well.  Would be fine if they didn't tout so often the desire to have retail downtown. Or tout this or that new business coming to town or work so hard to get them. I am not even worth a "tweet" to them.   

I definitely understand your frustration.  Hey Mayor Bynum if you (or one of your staffers) are reading this show Decopolis some love.  You have a unique store and it should be heralded.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2019, 06:40:25 pm »

May not be much consolation, but I tell people about you all the time...!    No idea if any ever come in.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2019, 07:07:05 pm »

I definitely understand your frustration.  Hey Mayor Bynum if you (or one of your staffers) are reading this show Decopolis some love.  You have a unique store and it should be heralded.

Thanks SXSW!

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2019, 07:07:30 pm »

May not be much consolation, but I tell people about you all the time...!    No idea if any ever come in.

That is fantastic! Appreciate it very much!

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2019, 07:26:09 pm »

A while back I had thought of coming up with a "Buy Local" program that the city could implement.  Here are some initial thoughts..... 

Local Retail Assistance & Incentives

Promote a “buy local” culture. 

Educate, teach people about the many positives of using local businesses.

Promote local businesses.  Have a monthly “featured business” and coordinate with the business for that time period to help with promoting.  Talk about them on the news, radio, TV, local paper and magazine, post about them on facebook, etc. 

Have businesses that are interested sign up to be included. 

Criteria

Businesses can be ranked by points.

Located in area where city wants to see more retail growth.  Underserved areas, downtown/Route 66 to promote tourism and city “attractiveness”, upgrading older retail corridors, etc.

Not all local businesses have “grand visions”.   Many small businesses, for various reasons, are happy to do well and make money.  While others are willing to work towards bigger goals, be creative and do the extra work it takes to keep moving forward and growing.  Those businesses that show the willingness, vision and drive to expand and grow can rank higher.

Show a unique or “stand out” quality.  What is something special or unique about the business that helps them stand out from the average in their field? 

Those that source from other local businesses, artists, craftsmen, farms, etc.

Those that show a propensity to give back or “do good for the community”.  Smaller businesses will not be able to do as much as larger, so not a matter of “quantity” but ability.

etc.

Economic Incentives

Signage (neon on Route 66)

Awnings in pedestrian/transit areas.  Awnings (useable not aesthetic/ “fake” awnings) help the pedestrian experience and promote foot traffic for retail corridors.  Some cities help businesses in their important retail corridors pay for new awnings, repair/replacement of old awnings, etc.

Loggias and awnings on new construction in pedestrian/transit friendly retail corridors can allow for “fast tracking” of permits, or perhaps some economic incentives.  Smaller parking allowance for businesses that include loggias or awnings.  Tax rebate for part of cost of awnings.

Unique permitting paperwork in “special areas”. There is an inherent bias in our current permitting process that perhaps unwittingly shifts development in directions we may not want.  Use wording and images in permitting process that encourages pedestrian friendly or retail usage in those areas.  Example: Instead of “How many parking spaces are you going to have, and show where they are located” also have “The city wants to encourage foot traffic and transit usage in this area, the city offers special incentives for awnings, please show awning placement and sizes.” 

etc.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org