A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:06:34 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to get a 1' x 12' piece of Oak?  (Read 7461 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« on: December 10, 2017, 09:13:42 am »

Need a 1' x 12' piece of Oak.  Does anyone know a place in or around Tulsa that has pieces of oak that long?

Am building a long low bookshelf under a large window and want the top piece level with the window and want it to be a nice piece of oak to match the furniture in the room.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 10:14:26 am »

Need a 1' x 12' piece of Oak.  Does anyone know a place in or around Tulsa that has pieces of oak that long?

Am building a long low bookshelf under a large window and want the top piece level with the window and want it to be a nice piece of oak to match the furniture in the room.

You can try this place.  They are on Admiral near Inola.

http://www.diamondpforestproductsco.com

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 08:44:35 am »

You can try this place.  They are on Admiral near Inola.

http://www.diamondpforestproductsco.com

Thanks!

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
rebound
City Father

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 09:54:54 am »

You might try Mill Creek also.   I've used them in the past.  They have larger/longer sizes of hardwoods.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 12:50:31 pm »

How thick do you need?

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 07:36:28 pm »

How thick do you need?

Lol..It's not surprising you would need to ask...

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 07:43:37 pm »

http://www.millcreeklumber.com/hardwood_tulsa

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 08:40:15 pm »

You might try Mill Creek also.   I've used them in the past.  They have larger/longer sizes of hardwoods.

No discussion of wood is complete with out a Beavis & Butthead reference.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rebound
City Father

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 09:28:28 am »

Lol..It's not surprising you would need to ask...

Actually, I was going to ask the same question.  Artist needs a 1' x 12', but doesn't specify thickness.   Unless he is looking for a 1" x 12" x 12', which I'm pretty sure Mill Creek will have.  It's tough to get thicker single pieces that wide and that long.

(I had the same sort of issue when I recently built a mantle for my fireplace.  I ended up using three pieces of 2"x8"x10' pine from a 100 YO barn, and laminated them to form a 4.5" thick shelf.  Looks good, but Artist may not want the stacked look.)

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 04:33:12 pm »

Actually, I was going to ask the same question.  Artist needs a 1' x 12', but doesn't specify thickness.   Unless he is looking for a 1" x 12" x 12', which I'm pretty sure Mill Creek will have.  It's tough to get thicker single pieces that wide and that long.

(I had the same sort of issue when I recently built a mantle for my fireplace.  I ended up using three pieces of 2"x8"x10' pine from a 100 YO barn, and laminated them to form a 4.5" thick shelf.  Looks good, but Artist may not want the stacked look.)

But you have a brain and unlike BreadforBrains, don't always reside in the gutter.

He doesn't even understand the difference between a board and plywood as he proved with his post.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 11:20:21 pm »

Was needing a 1" thick piece.  Managed to make it work with smaller pieces.  But good to know for the next time!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org