A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:25:32 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help: Navigation in-dash radio for Jeep  (Read 5338 times)
citizen72
Civic Leader

« on: December 01, 2017, 12:53:34 am »

Got a real serious question for all the electronic geeks here.

Wanted to get Number One a new OEM in-dash navigation (GPS) for Christmas. Must have hands free phone, cd steering radio control, Bluetooth, etc. Her vehicle is a 2016 Jeep Compass. Presently it just has the regular off the shelf radio, cd unit. My Jeep dealer here in Tulsa tells me a navigation unit was not furnished for her Jeep.

So, if that is the case, do any of you have some comments on alternatives that have a fast turnaround as I am running our of time here. I am thinking that at least some of the manufacturers of this type of equipment probably manufacturers an OEM equivalent navigation for my wife' car. Just do not want to just guess online. HELP GUYS!

^^^^^

"Never a skillful sailor made who always sailed calm seas."
rebound
City Father

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 09:25:06 am »

I've put a couple of car stereos and related (XM Satellite) in previous vehicles, and have had good luck going through Crutchfield to get the correct fit products, etc.  They have full wiring and adapter kits available for each unit as well.  Not always the cheapest, but fair and easy.   I did just look, and they have a few models shown that fit your vehicle.  Their customer service techs are pretty solid, and can answer questions about the specific unit/car combo.

Also, I'd suggest calling Boomers Audio as well, to get a suggestion and to get a price for what they would charge for a full professional install.  I recently used them to update/upgrade my son's vehicle, and they did a great job at a fair price.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 09:36:15 am »

I've put a couple of car stereos and related (XM Satellite) in previous vehicles, and have had good luck going through Crutchfield to get the correct fit products, etc.  They have full wiring and adapter kits available for each unit as well.  Not always the cheapest, but fair and easy.   I did just look, and they have a few models shown that fit your vehicle.  Their customer service techs are pretty solid, and can answer questions about the specific unit/car combo.

Also, I'd suggest calling Boomers Audio as well, to get a suggestion and to get a price for what they would charge for a full professional install.  I recently used them to update/upgrade my son's vehicle, and they did a great job at a fair price.

Funny, I was going to suggest Boomer's as well.  Mike Hudson runs a great shop and they know what they are doing.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 10:02:58 am »

Talk to Jay at Audio Advice. I have used them for 20+ years for various car and boat audio installs. Best in Tulsa IMO. I recently had them install a Kenwood Excelon unit in my wife's car. Can't remember the model off the top of my head, but it has all the bells and whistles. Android Auto, Apple Carplay, Garmin Nav, Bluetooth, Steering wheel controls, backup camera, etc, etc, etc....

Pioneer builds great hardware as well, but I've always been partial to Kenwood.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 09:16:08 pm »

I find it hard to believe that you couldn't swap in an OEM GPS unit.

Splicing aftermarket into factory controls is always problematic. I've done it plenty but almost always it means some button no longer works, works different, or something looks funny. OEM will always integrate better.
citizen72
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 12:34:01 am »

I find it hard to believe that you couldn't swap in an OEM GPS unit.

Splicing aftermarket into factory controls is always problematic. I've done it plenty but almost always it means some button no longer works, works different, or something looks funny. OEM will always integrate better.

I do agree with your assessment but did not have a lot success following the line of your thoughts with my purchase. After what I thought was sound research I bought, what was supposed to be, the correct navigation unit for the Jeep (In this case used). When I plugged it into the Jeep Oem style it would not power up even though it had been checked out at the selling source. Problem is that one of the local dealer told me I had to find a find a unit with the same radio touch screen parts number in order for it to work in our Jeep. I do not necessarily agree with this but nonetheless. I am stuck.

^^^^^

citizen72
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 12:02:18 am »

Well just before Christmas we found an OEM navigation radio up in Michigan. We gained possession, installed it and all is almost well. Even got in town and installed quick enough that we could surprise the wife. She loves it but has now asked to have a rear view camera involved. Seem that will not be too big of a deal. Thanks again for everyone's input.

^^^^^

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org