A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:08:56 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Decopolis  (Read 5362 times)
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« on: November 02, 2017, 11:41:31 pm »

So while I'm in town for family reasons, I brought my father home to lay him to rest next to my mother, I decided to check out Decopolis after reading about it hear. I have to say that it is a gem in downtown, and a wonderful place to visit. William has done an excellent job with this and has so many cool things there. I picked up a book called 'Atomic Ranch' that covers the designs of MCM homes, and a print of Cains Ballroom to have framed.

And if there are any doubting Thomas's here is a copy of the receipt and a couple of photos that I have taken of downtown that I really like.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 07:33:17 am »

First, condolences!

Next, nice pics!!

As for doubting Thomas' - who cares if someone doesn't believe that you were in town?  It's their problem.  IIRC, you originally were from here, or at least spent a significant time here - you are a Tulsan.  And beyond that - you are an Okie!!  So there...take that!

Joke 'em if they can't take a....   oh, wait...can't say that here.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 09:20:30 am »

So while I'm in town for family reasons, I brought my father home to lay him to rest next to my mother, I decided to check out Decopolis after reading about it hear. I have to say that it is a gem in downtown, and a wonderful place to visit. William has done an excellent job with this and has so many cool things there. I picked up a book called 'Atomic Ranch' that covers the designs of MCM homes, and a print of Cains Ballroom to have framed.

And if there are any doubting Thomas's here is a copy of the receipt and a couple of photos that I have taken of downtown that I really like.

Only sorry I wasn't there to meet you in person finally.  If you drove out, perhaps you'd consider a bit of a detour through NE NM on your way home?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 08:07:59 pm »

To heir, yes I was the first Okie of the family on my dad's side, his sister had two daughters that were the first Okies on that side.

To Conan, if I had driven I would stop and stay on the way back, but I definitely will make time to see the part of NM that you are in.

It's been an interesting trip here, it's taken a bit to get used to the way the streets are downtown now, and I'm really glad to see the life in downtown that wasn't there when I was growing up, it makes me proud to call Tulsa home.

I do have one comment, and I think that even when I have left this mortal coil, the March of the orange barrels for fixing the streets will forever be like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, it looks good but serves no purpose.

At some time, I will be laid to rest with a brother and my parents, and life will come full circle, and I can't think of a better place to be.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 10:40:37 pm »

To heir, yes I was the first Okie of the family on my dad's side, his sister had two daughters that were the first Okies on that side.

To Conan, if I had driven I would stop and stay on the way back, but I definitely will make time to see the part of NM that you are in.

It's been an interesting trip here, it's taken a bit to get used to the way the streets are downtown now, and I'm really glad to see the life in downtown that wasn't there when I was growing up, it makes me proud to call Tulsa home.

I do have one comment, and I think that even when I have left this mortal coil, the March of the orange barrels for fixing the streets will forever be like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, it looks good but serves no purpose.

At some time, I will be laid to rest with a brother and my parents, and life will come full circle, and I can't think of a better place to be.

As long as Tulsa (and Oklahoma more generally) takes the approach of using roads until they fail and not be proactive in maintenance, we will ALWAYS have this issue.  Sadly.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 07:06:20 pm »

Condolences indeed.   Sorry I have not been on here for a while been super busy getting ready for the Harry Potter themed party we had this Saturday at the store. 

Glad you enjoyed the place!

This next year should see it finally start getting to where I would like to see it.  Speaking of which, for the Harry Potter party I created an "escape room" type game where people get clues to open a lock on a chest, then get another set of riddles/tests for another chest and so on till they get to the last one.  I really liked the response we got from it and will leave it up year round.  Thus further confounding peoples query "What is this place?" and making it more difficult to answer lol.  "Who cares what it is, just enjoy yourself!" 

Anyway, glad you paid a visit and hopefully next time you do so it will be even better!

Thank You!

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 11:15:07 pm »

William, as I said, visiting your store was an absolute joy. You are a bonus to Tulsa, and what you have done is fantastic.

Just some other observations while I've been here. What downtown is becoming is truly amazing. To see so many places that are locally owned and operated down in the Brady, Blue Dome, 1st Street, Pearl District, 11th Street, Cherry Street, and Brookside is just really great.

Saturday I had lunch at Albert G's at 1st & Elgin, and it was so cool as to the way they set up the inside. If I had more time I would have gone to McNellie's and some other places in the area. It was great to see life in the downtown that I remember as being empty in the evening or on the weekends.

I've read about it here, but seeing it in person really brought it home to me as a native that hasn't been here in 13 years. It means a lot to me to see what will always be my home alive again. And to be honest, I'd rather spend time downtown and the area around it then anywhere else in town. Congrats to those involved, they've done a great job!
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 03:44:11 pm »

Next trip in I will buy you dinner.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org