A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:32:28 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When is enough enough  (Read 6845 times)
TeeDub
« on: October 09, 2017, 02:24:26 pm »

I understand that we live in a special time...   But when is it enough that people stop getting offended over every little thing?

At first, I thought I was reading an Onion headline.

Detroit firefighter fired for bringing watermelon to station

DETROIT (WJBK) - Earlier this month, 41-year-old Robert Pattison went to introduce himself to his fellow firefighters at Engine 55 at Joy and Southfield in Detroit. Second Battallion Chief Shawn McCarty calls it a tradition for firefighters.

"It's not mandatory, it's voluntary," he says. "You come in bearing gifts. The usual gift is doughnuts, but you are allowed to bring whatever you want to bring in."

And Pattison, a probationary firefighter, decided to bring a watermelon wrapped in a pink ribbon. We're told some African-American firefighters were instantly offended, since 90 percent of the people who work at Engine 55 are black.

"When you get your first detail at a firehouse you pretty much know what you are getting yourself into," says Patrick Trout. "So you would have to say it was probably a bad call."
photo

FOX 2: "Is it racially insensitive to bring a watermelon into a fire house?"

"To some people," McCarty says.

FOX 2 spoke to Pattison by phone, who claims it was not a joke - and he did not mean to offend his fellow firefighters. But he clearly did. Fire Commissioner Eric Jones says the Fenton native was officially discharged.

In a statement Jones says: "There is zero tolerance for discriminatory behavior inside the Detroit Fire Department. On Saturday, Sept. 30, 2017, at Engine 55, a trial firefighter (probationary employee) engaged in unsatisfactory work behavior which was deemed offensive and racially insensitive to members of the Detroit Fire Department.

"After a thorough investigation, it was determined that the best course of action was to terminate the employment of this probationary employee."

In a world where racial tensions run high, some tell me the trial firefighter should have known better. Trout doesn't know if he meant anything by it - but feels it was a bad choice.

"For sure by far it was,"

The question is did DFD take it too far?

FOX 2: "Should he have lost his job over a watermelon?"

"I don't think so," McCarty says. "Between what he did and what was there are a few things that could have been done."

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/detroit-firefighter-fired-for-bringing-watermelon-to-station
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 09:18:34 am »

It seems today one has to plunder a busload of nuns before anyone even discusses any sort of discipline in a public service union... except of course his.
Sadly, an appeal to the court of public opinion might be the best next course if the system has failed that badly.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 03:38:12 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
rebound
City Father

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 10:51:55 am »

Well, I agree (on the surface at least) that he shouldn't have been fired.  But come on, man.  He's an idiot if he didn't see that coming.   Remember Fuzzy Zoeller and his joke about Tiger Woods not serving fried chicken and collard greens for The Masters dinner?  Fuzzy is/was a friend of Tiger's and was obviously making a joke, but he got hammered for it and rightly so.   I'm not all Mr Political Correctness, but good god, on your first day you don't bring a watermelon to a fire house that's 80% black.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 11:59:30 am »

Well, I agree (on the surface at least) that he shouldn't have been fired.  But come on, man.  He's an idiot if he didn't see that coming.   Remember Fuzzy Zoeller and his joke about Tiger Woods not serving fried chicken and collard greens for The Masters dinner?  Fuzzy is/was a friend of Tiger's and was obviously making a joke, but he got hammered for it and rightly so.   I'm not all Mr Political Correctness, but good god, on your first day you don't bring a watermelon to a fire house that's 80% black.

He wasn't technically fired. He was never hired, he was a probationary employee. He wasn't retained.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 04:48:18 pm »

He wasn't technically fired. He was never hired, he was a probationary employee. He wasn't retained.

Yeah, saw that.   Kind of a technicality, but OK.   Still, even more reason for the dude to be on his toes. 

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 05:39:49 pm »

If he'd brought some steaks and potatoes and a watermelon I bet no one says a word.

But he brought a watermelon with a nice pink ribbon around it asa gift for a bunch black firefighters. He's lucky he didn't get his face broken.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 07:20:07 pm »

He's lucky he didn't get his face broken.

That's racist!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 07:51:37 pm »

If he'd brought some steaks and potatoes and a watermelon I bet no one says a word.

But he brought a watermelon with a nice pink ribbon around it asa gift for a bunch black firefighters. He's lucky he didn't get his face broken.

What if he'd have brought ribs and brisket with the water melon instead of steak and potatoes?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 09:26:55 pm »

What if he'd have brought ribs and brisket with the water melon instead of steak and potatoes?

Gotta have beans and/or cole slaw too.  Maybe some pickled jalapeño peppers too.

Grin

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 09:35:28 pm »

Would it have been better if he brought corn bread and hog jowls?
bluelake
Activist

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 09:57:36 pm »

How about some Popeyes?

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 10:19:25 am »

41 years old.  Had to know better.   The pink ribbon sure as heck didn't help things either.  First day for crying out loud - don't be stupid.  Like the commander said, other things could have been done as intermediate steps but that's the way it went.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 11:08:19 pm »

Is DFD so hard up they are hiring 41 year old rookies?  That's the other part of the story I found a bit odd.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org