A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:02:58 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about west Tulsa  (Read 7670 times)
Nik
Philanthropist

« on: September 28, 2017, 01:09:19 pm »

I'm in the process of buying a house in west Tulsa (west of 91st & 33rd West Ave). It's a Tulsa address but Jenks schools (and Creek county). We haven't closed yet, so maybe the questions I'm about to ask will be answered in the near future but I'm impatient.

First, it doesn't look like we're serviced by Tulsa, Jenks or Sapulpa trash. I've been told by somebody that lives in the area that they use a small company, S&B Refuse. My question is, since I'm not serviced by a municipal trash, do I have to use this company or will I have multiple companies to choose from? I had hoped to move into an area that had curbside recycling but that didn't happen. I guess my hope now is I may have choices in trash companies and one of those choices may offer recycling services.

Second, while I have a Tulsa address, it seems I'm not actually in the City of Tulsa. I'm not inside the boundary of any City Councilor. Is this correct? Does that mean I also do not vote for mayor? Am I in some part of un-annexed Tulsa?

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 01:48:52 pm »

I'm in the process of buying a house in west Tulsa (west of 91st & 33rd West Ave). It's a Tulsa address but Jenks schools (and Creek county). We haven't closed yet, so maybe the questions I'm about to ask will be answered in the near future but I'm impatient.

First, it doesn't look like we're serviced by Tulsa, Jenks or Sapulpa trash. I've been told by somebody that lives in the area that they use a small company, S&B Refuse. My question is, since I'm not serviced by a municipal trash, do I have to use this company or will I have multiple companies to choose from? I had hoped to move into an area that had curbside recycling but that didn't happen. I guess my hope now is I may have choices in trash companies and one of those choices may offer recycling services.

Second, while I have a Tulsa address, it seems I'm not actually in the City of Tulsa. I'm not inside the boundary of any City Councilor. Is this correct? Does that mean I also do not vote for mayor? Am I in some part of un-annexed Tulsa?

If you are west of 33rd I think you are actually in the city of Sapulpa, but it may be an unincorporated area in Sapulpa’s fenceline, I don’t think it would be Tulsa.  East of 33rd would be either Jenks (south of 91st) or Tulsa (north of 91st).
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 01:59:46 pm »

http://incog.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=41c81ca8750a47c7a907dcda55d469f7

S & B is probably your best option.

Power is nothing till you use it.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 03:54:03 pm »

If this map is to be believed (and I think it is the official map), the area west of 91st and 33rd W is not in Tulsa.  You may be in Sapulpa, but if you have a Tulsa address I'm assuming the house is actually in unincorporated Creek County.  If you are just west of 91st and 33rd West ave., you are likely within an area slated to eventually be part of Sapulpa (it looks like there are "defensive" city limits surrounding the area).  Don't take my word for, go to the maps!

More detailed:
http://incog.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=41c81ca8750a47c7a907dcda55d469f7

Less detailed:
http://www.incog.org/mapping/Corp%20Limits/CorpLimits2010.pdf

If that is the case - then no, you would not be able to vote for Tulsa City Council, Mayor or Tulsa County Elections.  You would also be in a different Congressional district than Tulsa and you'd share a OK House seat with Sapulpa and parts of Glenpool.  If it is imortant to you, you might want to type your new address into one of the "who represents me" websites and see what elections you'd be eligible for.

Here is the Jenks school district map:
http://www.jenksps.org/pages/uploaded_files/JPS%20Election%20Districts.pdf

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 06:09:56 pm »

Well, if anybody knew my other options, it would be you. S&B it is.
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 06:11:48 pm »

Thanks for the map links. Looks like I'm in an unincorporated area. I'd prefer to be Tulsa than Sapulpa, but looks like that is unlikely in the cards. Oh well.

Yes, I was aware I was in a different Congressional District now. The state and national stuff was easy to determine, not so much local.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 04:13:01 pm »

Burn that smile....!!!!

AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 07:39:25 am »

Welcome to Southwest Tulsa!
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 10:44:49 am »

Thanks for the map links. Looks like I'm in an unincorporated area. I'd prefer to be Tulsa than Sapulpa, but looks like that is unlikely in the cards. Oh well.

Yes, I was aware I was in a different Congressional District now. The state and national stuff was easy to determine, not so much local.

What post office delivers your mail ?  I have a place that is addressed "Talala" but is quite a ways away from town, but will get mail through Talala.  Got to choose the address, too - that is kinda cool...got a custom number I wanted, within some nicely wide limits - a sequence like 1234, so I can remember easier.  Can hardly wait to move!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 11:21:54 am »

What post office delivers your mail ?  I have a place that is addressed "Talala" but is quite a ways away from town, but will get mail through Talala.  Got to choose the address, too - that is kinda cool...got a custom number I wanted, within some nicely wide limits - a sequence like 1234, so I can remember easier.  Can hardly wait to move!

That reminds me of when we built our house back in 2005. We're South of Bixby, outside the city limits but in Tulsa County and mail is delivered out of Bixby. Before construction started I went to find out what our address would be and I was asked "Well, what do you want it to be?"
TeeDub
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 12:12:09 pm »

That reminds me of when we built our house back in 2005. We're South of Bixby, outside the city limits but in Tulsa County and mail is delivered out of Bixby. Before construction started I went to find out what our address would be and I was asked "Well, what do you want it to be?"

My mother used to use that as an advantage when signing up for coupons...   Her address was 3400, 3402, 3404, 3406, etc.    The mailman delivered them all to the one mailbox.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org