A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:23:16 am
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amazon  (Read 151934 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #180 on: January 19, 2018, 12:51:44 pm »

Except for the international airport part.  Austin is may go direct to Mexico and points South, but that's about it.  I'm assuming by "International" they mean mainly EMEA (because they can cover APAC out of Seattle), and that points towards one of the major East Coast hubs.

Actually AUS now has non-stops to London Heathrow (via British Airways), London Gatwick (via Norwegian) and Frankfurt (via Condor), with Delta offering service to Amsterdam during SXSW.  In addition to daily nonstop service to Toronto on Air Canada and several Mexican cities including Mexico City.  

Every other city on the list has international flights with Columbus and Indianapolis the only ones without trans-Atlantic service though Indianapolis is getting a nonstop to Paris on Delta that starts this year.  Columbus has daily nonstops to Toronto and Cancun.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 12:54:56 pm by SXSW » Logged

rebound
City Father

« Reply #181 on: January 19, 2018, 01:41:33 pm »

Actually AUS now has non-stops to London Heathrow (via British Airways), London Gatwick (via Norwegian) and Frankfurt (via Condor), with Delta offering service to Amsterdam during SXSW.  In addition to daily nonstop service to Toronto on Air Canada and several Mexican cities including Mexico City.  

Every other city on the list has international flights with Columbus and Indianapolis the only ones without trans-Atlantic service though Indianapolis is getting a nonstop to Paris on Delta that starts this year.  Columbus has daily nonstops to Toronto and Cancun.

Did not know AUS had non-stops to Europe.  Pretty cool.  But, still fairly limited.  I don't think you can count the SXSW flights, as those are event driven, and CA/MX, while technically international, aren't what they are talking about.   But, I think its fair to say that is Amazon did come to AUS, those international flights could easily be added.

My money is still on the DC area now, with my original pick of Atlanta as my fall back guess.

Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #182 on: January 19, 2018, 05:50:43 pm »

So the "Finalist" list is basically every city or region that fit the original criteria? How dramatic...

Not really.  There are cities in that top 20 that are lacking any serious mass transit and significant international air service, among other things.
And there are cities not in the final 20 that seemingly met all the original criteria.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #183 on: January 19, 2018, 07:05:11 pm »

Sounds like the city offered Amazon the city-owned property at 23rd & Jackson.  The Parking Lot District (7th/8th & Main/Boston) would’ve been a better location IMO.

It would involve some work assembling the land but I think the 41st & Union area would be perfect for an advanced manufacturing or engineering/R&D campus.  It has river frontage, highway access, a future direct rail line connection to downtown and could be linked to Midtown with a new bridge at 41st. 

I think you mean 41st & Elwood.  The river is about a mile east of Union at that point.  The only aesthetic problem is being sandwiched between a sh!t processing plant to the south and a power plant to the north and many smaller local companies who dot the landscape in the area.  Other than that, what a smoking deal we could create!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #184 on: January 20, 2018, 12:13:25 am »

I think you mean 41st & Elwood.  The river is about a mile east of Union at that point.  The only aesthetic problem is being sandwiched between a sh!t processing plant to the south and a power plant to the north and many smaller local companies who dot the landscape in the area.  Other than that, what a smoking deal we could create!

Yes 41st & Elwood.  It’s an industrial area that is also one of the best locations in the city but needs a bridge.  Not ideal for an office type setup but more some type of advanced manufacturing or R&D.  Something like what Woodward has done in Fort Collins, CO:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 12:19:10 am by SXSW » Logged

AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #185 on: January 22, 2018, 10:25:36 am »

Yes 41st & Elwood.  It’s an industrial area that is also one of the best locations in the city but needs a bridge.  Not ideal for an office type setup but more some type of advanced manufacturing or R&D.  Something like what Woodward has done in Fort Collins, CO:

A bridge at 41st is my dream. It would actually CONNECT the westside with the rest of the city. The 23rd street bridge is too far north and the Arkansas River bridge at I-44 bypasses the westside for all intents and purposes. A bridge with bike lanes, please. The QT park puts a wrench in the idea though.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #186 on: January 22, 2018, 11:26:51 am »

A bridge at 41st is my dream. It would actually CONNECT the westside with the rest of the city. The 23rd street bridge is too far north and the Arkansas River bridge at I-44 bypasses the westside for all intents and purposes. A bridge with bike lanes, please. The QT park puts a wrench in the idea though.

By the time a 41st St bridge is actually built QT Park will need a refresh anyway.   Wink

There is a TW article today about the challenges the west bank presents, all of which are not unknown to anyone familiar with Tulsa.  Honestly park and industrial space is really the best use for most of it except for possibly the area north of 23rd St.  Focus residential in existing neighborhoods east of the river.  Specifically Riverview which could support higher densities, along with redevelopment of the Crow Creek apartments.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/michael-overall-if-amazon-doesn-t-want-it-what-can/article_fa010b36-6346-5a0e-8cba-e7375bfa89c2.html

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #187 on: January 22, 2018, 11:27:33 am »

Will that still be the case when the highway is reconstructed? Do the new plans improve access?

bacjz00
Civic Leader

« Reply #188 on: January 22, 2018, 12:19:16 pm »

Will that still be the case when the highway is reconstructed? Do the new plans improve access?

*IS* there a new plan?  Would love to see a link if so.  I-44 west of the River all the way to 244 is a joke (including the US-75 interchange which is something even worse than a joke)

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #189 on: January 22, 2018, 01:34:56 pm »

*IS* there a new plan?  Would love to see a link if so.  I-44 west of the River all the way to 244 is a joke (including the US-75 interchange which is something even worse than a joke)

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/meeting-to-discuss-i--improvements-in-west-tulsa-set/article_670f1582-cef1-50f3-9499-4e37aa99baf9.html
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #190 on: January 22, 2018, 01:57:52 pm »

here's the actual plan itself:

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/meetings/a2017/171102/Presentation.pdf
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #191 on: January 22, 2018, 02:26:09 pm »

I like the flyover ramps.  They alleviate congestion by increasing the exit speed.  Lived in Houston for four years in the nineties and I never saw a clover leaf ramp in the freeway system there.  Most of the interchanges were more like the 169/Creek Tpk interchange where it splits off for Broken Arrow.  They really need to look at redesigning interchanges at I-44 and 169 as well as 169 and the BA.  Clover leaf interchanges are old and busted.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #192 on: January 22, 2018, 04:09:27 pm »

Clover leaf interchanges are old and busted.

They were a great design for traffic of 50+ years ago.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #193 on: January 22, 2018, 04:13:53 pm »

Decades past due!! 

Shameful we haven't had that long ago...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #194 on: January 22, 2018, 09:57:38 pm »

I like the flyover ramps.  They alleviate congestion by increasing the exit speed.  Lived in Houston for four years in the nineties and I never saw a clover leaf ramp in the freeway system there.  Most of the interchanges were more like the 169/Creek Tpk interchange where it splits off for Broken Arrow.  They really need to look at redesigning interchanges at I-44 and 169 as well as 169 and the BA.  Clover leaf interchanges are old and busted.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org