A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:45:59 am
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amazon  (Read 152040 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #150 on: October 19, 2017, 07:08:55 pm »

From the link, I think customs is available for business and charter flights.  Sparks Aviation appears to have customs for passengers, up  to 25 at a time.  See about half way down the page on the left side.
http://www.fltplan.com/Airport.cgi?TUL

So in that instance, yes, we are an international airport.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #151 on: October 19, 2017, 09:07:02 pm »

Yes, Tulsa has customs available.  The question I was asking was whether there have ever been scheduled international flights with customs and immigration clearance facilities for commercial common carrier flights as claimed by ...asparagus
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 09:08:43 pm by Oil Capital » Logged

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #152 on: October 19, 2017, 10:01:52 pm »

Yes, Tulsa has customs available.  The question I was asking was whether there have ever been scheduled international flights with customs and immigration clearance facilities for commercial common carrier flights as claimed by ...asparagus

I know some of the vacation flights used to fly semi-direct out of Tulsa, but they did a quick stop in Houston or Dallas for customs. I don't think large international commercial flights ever had customs in Tulsa.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #153 on: October 19, 2017, 10:41:15 pm »

Finally watched the video from from G.T.'s interview on Fox. My take was that he came off about the same as those over confident college kids do. You know, prior to them realizing they will be graduating without a job and with 100k in debt. Yeah. He just struck me as over his head or delusional. I know Tulsa has lots of reasons to talk itself up, he just didn't do a good job of it. And if I heard "quality of life" with no qualifiers one more time, I was about to quit watching before it was over.

I guess I'm not seeing where Mayor Bynum did a bad job with the interview.  Tulsa's quality of life items were illustrated in the video which rolled near the start of the news segment this was featured on.  He mentioned the $300M new park and other amenities.

Personally, I didn't see him as coming off as far-fetched as we all thought this was a month ago.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #154 on: October 20, 2017, 08:07:50 am »

I think you are misremembering.  I doubt Tulsa has ever had international flights or customs and immigration facilities.  But if so, I'd be interested in hearing details about it.

Could well be.  I never took any direct flights myself - except it seems like I was able to fly to Toronto on American one time, but after that had to fly through Detroit, then Toronto.... will have to look around and see if I can find any old expense reports with itinerary.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #155 on: October 20, 2017, 08:39:55 am »

I guess I'm not seeing where Mayor Bynum did a bad job with the interview.  Tulsa's quality of life items were illustrated in the video which rolled near the start of the news segment this was featured on.  He mentioned the $300M new park and other amenities.

Personally, I didn't see him as coming off as far-fetched as we all thought this was a month ago.

That was my take as well.  I think we have a compelling story and a lot of positives to sell.  Our biggest weakness is our ability to compete in the bidding war with incentives/inducements/”bribes”.  Anyone now wish we had adopted that closing fund a few years back?

On that note, I’ve read several analysts who are usually critical of taxpayer inducements for headquarters/factories, etc. say this is such a potential game changer for the winning city that the inducements will pay long-term dividends. 
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #156 on: October 20, 2017, 11:08:29 am »

Bynum's doing a fair job getting himself in front of people like us as he talks up Tulsa's fit for Amazon.

He knows it's a snowball's chance but this is a good podium from which to speak.  He gets folks like us to say "Look at Bynum go.  He's really trying to get us somewhere."

This will come in handy as he runs for whichever public office is coming next.

The FOX interviewer's earpiece was most likely telling her to "get that kid off the screen."
Tulsa Zephyr
Activist

« Reply #157 on: October 21, 2017, 09:18:31 am »

I think you are misremembering.  I doubt Tulsa has ever had international flights or customs and immigration facilities.  But if so, I'd be interested in hearing details about it.

In 1930, Tulsa had the busiest airport in the world.  "The first terminal building was a one-story wood and tar paper structure that looked like a warehouse. The landing strips and taxiways were simply mown grass. Still, it handled enough passengers in 1930 for Tulsa to claim that it had the busiest airport in the world." (Wikipedia)

"My ambition is handicapped by laziness."  Charles Bukowski
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #158 on: January 18, 2018, 08:44:19 am »

And the finalists are:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=176060&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2327285

• Atlanta, GA
  • Austin, TX
  • Boston, MA
  • Chicago, IL
  • Columbus, OH
  • Dallas, TX
  • Denver, CO
  • Indianapolis, IN
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Miami, FL
  • Montgomery County, MD
  • Nashville, TN
  • Newark, NJ
  • New York City, NY
  • Northern Virginia, VA
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Toronto, ON
  • Washington D.C.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 08:46:54 am by BKDotCom » Logged
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #159 on: January 18, 2018, 09:03:14 am »

So D.C. is essentially on the list three times. Perfect location for taking over the country...

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:05:46 am by erfalf » Logged

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #160 on: January 18, 2018, 09:05:38 am »

In all seriousness though. Columbus, Raleigh, and Indy seem like the only outliers in this group (and Toronto I suppose). The rest of basically the same as every biggest city/fastest growing city list you ever see. Wonder how legitimate of a shot they have.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
TulsaGoldenHurriCAN
City Father

« Reply #161 on: January 18, 2018, 09:09:33 am »

Almost all northern/NE cities. Only 4 finalists west of the Mississippi. I guess we should root for Dallas, Denver Austin or Nashville, hoping it's at least somewhat regional. Good chance it will lure away and provide jobs to some people we know.

With 3 finalists in the area, my guess is it will be in DC region and that is where they truly want to be. It's just a matter of which state/district will provide the best incentives. I'm guessing places like Chicago and LA made it just because they provided ludicrous incentives and they want them to raise the ante. Why even announce such a large list of finalists like this if they aren't going to be pitting the cities against each other. As many predicted, this is a massive penny-pinching corporation looking for huge corporate welfare, which might end up being the largest for a single entity in the history of the US.

I'm guessing when it comes out how large of a tax cut/free land they receive, most will be shocked. The preliminary offers are already shocking: NJ offered $7 billion! https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-10-19/bids-are-amazon-offered-7-billion-tax-breaks-140k-employee-second-us-hq
Now if they can get the places they actually want to locate to offer that kind of cash.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #162 on: January 18, 2018, 09:43:10 am »

Almost all northern/NE cities. Only 4 finalists west of the Mississippi. I guess we should root for Dallas, Denver Austin or Nashville, hoping it's at least somewhat regional. Good chance it will lure away and provide jobs to some people we know.

With 3 finalists in the area, my guess is it will be in DC region and that is where they truly want to be. It's just a matter of which state/district will provide the best incentives. I'm guessing places like Chicago and LA made it just because they provided ludicrous incentives and they want them to raise the ante. Why even announce such a large list of finalists like this if they aren't going to be pitting the cities against each other. As many predicted, this is a massive penny-pinching corporation looking for huge corporate welfare, which might end up being the largest for a single entity in the history of the US.

I'm guessing when it comes out how large of a tax cut/free land they receive, most will be shocked. The preliminary offers are already shocking: NJ offered $7 billion! https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-10-19/bids-are-amazon-offered-7-billion-tax-breaks-140k-employee-second-us-hq
Now if they can get the places they actually want to locate to offer that kind of cash.

DC is a logical choice.  Seattle and DC are two of the most prosperous and booming metros in the country right now. 

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #163 on: January 18, 2018, 09:50:40 am »

Dallas or Nashville would be top of the list choices - probably in top 5.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #164 on: January 18, 2018, 10:49:21 am »

In all seriousness though. Columbus, Raleigh, and Indy seem like the only outliers in this group (and Toronto I suppose). The rest of basically the same as every biggest city/fastest growing city list you ever see. Wonder how legitimate of a shot they have.

Agreed.  And Pittsburgh.  Don't see that one happening, either.   And why would they do West Coast?  Strategically that would not make any sense.  East Coast somewhere is best bet, assuming incentives work out, etc.   Austin, as cool as it is, is going to be hurt by lack of direct flights in/out.   Dallas, maybe, but East just seems to make more sense for them.

I've said Atlanta from the start, and they are still in there.  I'll add DC area, and Raleigh as options.  But it will all come down to who  makes the best offer among the real 3-4 choices they want.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org