A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:56:52 am
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amazon  (Read 151915 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #135 on: October 19, 2017, 08:50:49 am »

They do have that big ole empty outlet mall pad in Stroud.  Smiley

Turnpike will eliminate that.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #136 on: October 19, 2017, 08:52:06 am »

Speaking of, what exactly makes an airport "international". TUL doesn't exactly have daily flights to ANY destination outside the lower 48. Is it just the capability to handle flights internationally?

We used to have international flights and customs/immigration stuff.  Long gone now.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
MostSeriousness
Civic Leader

« Reply #137 on: October 19, 2017, 09:16:48 am »

Mayor Bynum on Fox: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ambtEGGXU1Q
Laramie
City Father

« Reply #138 on: October 19, 2017, 09:30:50 am »

The competition to get the Amazon HQ2 may involve more than just one city; notice that combination of cities teamed like Dallas-Fort Worth, Minneapolis-St. Paul & Oklahoma City-Tulsa .

With the effects of Amazon's online business success; you have more vacant space available throughout the country. Anchor tenants have affected the success of the malls throughout the country; many tenants are pulling out of the malls.  Shepherd Mall, OKC's 1st mall is structured toward commercial & business use. Heritage Park Mall (Midwest City) is vacant.   Crossroad Mall on I-35 (recently catered to the Hispanic community) in Oklahoma City is closing soon.

As far as International Flights out of Tulsa International & OKC Will Rogers World, one or both of these airports could position itself to handle some  international flights where Wichita, Tulsa & Oklahoma City flyers don't have to go thru DFW for international flights. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 09:37:35 am by Laramie » Logged

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” ― Voltaire
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #139 on: October 19, 2017, 11:57:02 am »

Can you imagine Dewey even putting our hat in the ring?  
Or how he'd do in an interview like this?
Tulsa has stuff!

I think Bynum did a great job.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 12:27:05 pm by BKDotCom » Logged
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #140 on: October 19, 2017, 01:33:37 pm »

Omg, I would have expected better from him.  He did not sell it.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #141 on: October 19, 2017, 01:49:30 pm »

I believe this has been mentioned elsewhere, but do we really want a company that is essentially slumming itself out to the highest bidder. Is Amazon a guaranteed permanent addition? The biggest company in the state (based on Fortune 500 rank) left the state a little over 15 years ago. Just saying it could happen. Then what are we left with?

I think it's great for whoever does get it, and mayors have to try, but part of me is like they are going to be asking for more "favors" just about the time the first ones run out, kind of like needing a new stadium to keep up.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #142 on: October 19, 2017, 03:25:10 pm »

"The culture of our city matches Amazon's very closely..."  

O M G !!   I HAVE to get some of what he has been smoking!!!!  That is some goooooooood stuff!!

Danbury guy almost had me nodding my head - and then I heard 85,000 population!  Ouch!  He is smooth, though.  And he is gonna make Connecticut great again!!

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 03:32:11 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #143 on: October 19, 2017, 04:10:48 pm »

We used to have international flights and customs/immigration stuff.  Long gone now.

When was that?  To/From where?

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #144 on: October 19, 2017, 04:18:26 pm »

When was that?  To/From where?

In the 70's IIRC.  I started doing quite a bit of travel about 1978 and it was winding down by then.  We just never reached critical mass to go full international.  I have no clue how many flights there were or where they went.  Don't think it amounted to much.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #145 on: October 19, 2017, 04:55:34 pm »

Finally watched the video from from G.T.'s interview on Fox. My take was that he came off about the same as those over confident college kids do. You know, prior to them realizing they will be graduating without a job and with 100k in debt. Yeah. He just struck me as over his head or delusional. I know Tulsa has lots of reasons to talk itself up, he just didn't do a good job of it. And if I heard "quality of life" with no qualifiers one more time, I was about to quit watching before it was over.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #146 on: October 19, 2017, 05:08:20 pm »

In the 70's IIRC.  I started doing quite a bit of travel about 1978 and it was winding down by then.  We just never reached critical mass to go full international.  I have no clue how many flights there were or where they went.  Don't think it amounted to much.

I think you are misremembering.  I doubt Tulsa has ever had international flights or customs and immigration facilities.  But if so, I'd be interested in hearing details about it.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #147 on: October 19, 2017, 05:36:19 pm »

I think you are misremembering.  I doubt Tulsa has ever had international flights or customs and immigration facilities.  But if so, I'd be interested in hearing details about it.

I believe this is current:
https://www.tulsaairports.com/airport-information/cargo/customs/

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #148 on: October 19, 2017, 05:46:13 pm »

Customs for Intl airports doesn't necessarily mean customs for physical entry.  It could mean customs for shipping also.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #149 on: October 19, 2017, 06:19:03 pm »

Customs for Intl airports doesn't necessarily mean customs for physical entry.  It could mean customs for shipping also.

From the link, I think customs is available for business and charter flights.  Sparks Aviation appears to have customs for passengers, up  to 25 at a time.  See about half way down the page on the left side.
http://www.fltplan.com/Airport.cgi?TUL

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org